Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

1. I ran memtest, no errors there.

2. I have 3gb of ram, but removed one memorystick with 2gb of ram on it.

But i still get the BSOD when the windows-xp bootdisk says "starting up windows"..

Do you have any more ideas of what could be wrong?

Please give me some more informations:

1. Which textmode driver did you integrate into the XP CD?

2. Did you integrate anything more?

3. Has your SATA hdd been detected by Windows Setup?

4. Does your laptop have a SATA connected optical drive?

1. I have tried several, in like 7-8 cd:s or so. The last one i tried contained all inside of the "STOR_all32_f6flpy32_8.7.0.1007_PV" package.

Hp themselves told me first that I would need the ICH9M SATA driver. Which I tried. Then i contaced them again, got another supportperson who said I should use the ICH7M. So I tried that too. Then i tried your ICH9, without the letter after. Still no go. Since the HP-support doesn't really seem to be trustworthy (it's like talking to a robot when chatting with them), I wonder if there is a way to find out myself what kind of driver I should use for my computer?

2. At first I integrated the Intel INF files drivers but i stopped doing that after 2-3 cd:s since i thought they were maybe the thing getting me the BSOD. Tried it again in like.. CD 6 but still no go. Usually only integrated one driver.

3. If you mean if it is availible in the Device Manager, then yes. If you mean that it does ever detect it when I start with the bootcd, it never gets that far, cause the BSOD comes before that. If I haven't answered your question please specify and I will try to answer again.

4. Concering that, I really don't know, and I don't know how to find out either. Would it eventually fix it if I had an USB-drive? (which I don't have, just wondering)

Thanks for your continued support

@ Beddis:

This is what I always recommend to avoid unnecessary issues:

1. Copy the content of the original (untouched) XP CD onto your hdd.

2. Start nLite and point to that freshly copied source.

3. Don't let nLite load any old settings (Last session.ini).

4. Integrate the suitable textmode driver according my guide. Don't integrate any other drivers!

5. Let nLite create the ISO file and burn it with reduced speed.

6. Boot off the just burnt CD and install XP.

Good luck!

Fernando

@ Beddis:

4. Integrate the suitable textmode driver according my guide. Don't integrate any other drivers!

Good luck!

Fernando

No answers to my previous post?

I have already done these things you asked. Unfortunately. :(

Please give me some more informations:

1. Which textmode driver did you integrate into the XP CD?

2. Did you integrate anything more?

3. Has your SATA hdd been detected by Windows Setup?

4. Does your laptop have a SATA connected optical drive?

1. I have tried several, in like 7-8 cd:s or so. The last one i tried contained all inside of the "STOR_all32_f6flpy32_8.7.0.1007_PV" package.

Hp themselves told me first that I would need the ICH9M SATA driver. Which I tried. Then i contaced them again, got another supportperson who said I should use the ICH7M. So I tried that too. Then i tried your ICH9, without the letter after. Still no go. Since the HP-support doesn't really seem to be trustworthy (it's like talking to a robot when chatting with them), I wonder if there is a way to find out myself what kind of driver I should use for my computer?

If you still can boot into Vista, open the Device Manager and look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and "Storage Controllers" section. Which Controller names do you see?
2. At first I integrated the Intel INF files drivers but i stopped doing that after 2-3 cd:s since i thought they were maybe the thing getting me the BSOD. Tried it again in like.. CD 6 but still no go. Usually only integrated one driver.
Ok.
3. If you mean if it is availible in the Device Manager, then yes. If you mean that it does ever detect it when I start with the bootcd, it never gets that far, cause the BSOD comes before that. If I haven't answered your question please specify and I will try to answer again.
If you should have access to the Device Manager, do what I have written at point 1.
4. Concering that, I really don't know, and I don't know how to find out either. Would it eventually fix it if I had an USB-drive? (which I don't have, just wondering)
If you have a S-ATA connected CD/DVD drive, you might get problems, when you run the S-ATA Controller in AHCI or RAID mode.
@ Beddis:

I have already done these things you asked. Unfortunately. :(
If you have done exactly what I have written and chosen the correct driver and Controller, you should succeed with the XP installation unless your optical drive is a S-ATA connected one.

EDIT:

Try to boot off the original XP-CD and look, what happens.

Edited by Fernando 1

Ok.

In the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers":

ATA Channel 0

ATA Channel 1

Standard-Dual Channel PCI IDE-controller

and "Storage Controllers":

A4BMRT12 IDE Contoller

AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller

AMD RAID Console

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator.

If i Boot of the original xp-cd i still get the bluescreen, but earlier i think. I'll try again, and post back soon!

"Storage Controllers":

This verifies, that you have integrated the wrong (=Intel) textmode drivers.

Your notebook has an AMD/ATI chipset and your SATA Controller is running in RAID mode.

Do the following:

1. Download this driver package, unzip it and integrate it as textmode driver.

2.When the textmode driver popup window comes up,check all Controllers, which are designed for Windows XP.

3. Let nLite create the ISO file and burn it.

Good luck!

Fernando

"Storage Controllers":

This verifies, that you have integrated the wrong (=Intel) textmode drivers.

Your notebook has an AMD/ATI chipset and your SATA Controller is running in RAID mode.

Do the following:

1. Download this driver package, unzip it and integrate it as textmode driver.

2.When the textmode driver popup window comes up,check all Controllers, which are designed for Windows XP.

3. Let nLite create the ISO file and burn it.

Good luck!

Fernando

Oh? Well, that should explain alot! Funny thing though... All three of the times I were in contact with HP-support.. they all told me I should use an Intel Driver, this puzzled me, but I thought if they didn't know then who would, right? :P

Im going to try it right away! Thanks for all the help so far! I will return and report if it worked!

Yay! It worked like a charm this time! You should include the AMD xp installation in this guide also! :)

My problem now is that I can't find any drivers for my computer since HP doesn't officially support it. But i guess that should be taken up in another thread.. (any tips?)

Anyways, thanks for all the help Fernando!!

Fernando you are a GENIUS and Nlite is an awesome free diamond gift with your instruction of how to use. All my 3 Laptops are OK now to use in SATA mode. Thank you for AWESOME instruction and tools that made a stupid person like me can be success just one time try. Once agian, thank you so much.

Yay! It worked like a charm this time!
Fine, that you succeeded at least with the XP installation onto your AMD chipset HP notebook. It was a pleasure for me, that I could help you (although it was off-topic).
You should include the AMD xp installation in this guide also! :)
My guide is already very voluminous, but it will be no problem to add a link to the AMD textmode drivers.
My problem now is that I can't find any drivers for my computer since HP doesn't officially support it. But i guess that should be taken up in another thread.. (any tips?)
The best way is to do a google search for "Pavilion dv5-1115eo +XP".
Anyways, thanks for all the help Fernando!!
You are welcome!

@ kevinv710 and robert560:

Welcome at MSFN Forums and thank you very much for your feedback!

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Hi Fernando :hello: ,

i'm trying to desinstall vista from my Pavilion DV5 1199ek, how should i proceed? do i need to format my hard drive as a first step.

regarding this point in your guide:

"Make sure, that the CD/DVD device where you want to boot off your nLited CD, is not connected to any of the Intel S-ATA ports. Optical drives generally have problems with the enabled AHCI or RAID mode.

Solution: Connect the optical drive to another available S-ATA port (for example with JMicron Controller), which is running in IDE mode. Alternatively you may replace your S-ATA CD/DVD device by an IDE connected one. "

how could i know whether my optical drive is connected to an Intel S-ATA port (with AHCI enabled), is it the case for a DV5 1199ek?

i have 4gb of ram and my controller is Intel ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI, should i install an XP 64 bits?

thank you for your help.

@ Djasmin:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

This is what I recommend for you, if you are unsure:

1. Create a bootable XP CD with integrated textmode drivers according to my guide.

2. Shrink your Vista partition by using the Disk Management of Vista (right click onto the shown Vista partition and reduce the size for about 20-50 GB depending on the size of your hdd, create this way a new "Unallocated Volume", right click onto it and create a new partition, give it a drive letter and format it with NTFS file system).

3. Boot off the just created XP CD with integrated textmode driver and see, if your hdd and its partitions will be recognized.

If yes, you should continue the XP installation. Choose the just created free partition as destination for the XP Setup.

If not, you have integrated the wrong driver or missed checking the correct Intel SATA Controller. In this case you should stop the XP installation at this point. Your Vista partition and the Vista bootloader ill not be affected by this procedure.

To find out the needed textmode driver, you may boot into Vista, open the Device Manager, look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and "Storage Controllers" sections and post here the names of the Controllers, which are listed within any of both sections.

If you are sure, that you definitively want to replace Vista by Windows XP, but unsure regarding the choice of the correct textmode driver, you can just do a test installation analogous to point 3, but in this case you should choose the same partition, where your Vista currently is installed. Do a quick NTFS format and continue the installation.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

hi fernando,

thank you for help and for this fantastic guide

i followed your recommandation, since i was unsure about the result i shrinked my 320Gb into 4 partions as follow :

c:\ = 70 Gb for Vista

d:\ = 10 Gb recovery drive

e:\ = 100 Gb for XP

f:\ = 120 Gb for Data

i created the XP CD including the textmode driver (ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI) according to your guide (i wasn't able to check my BIOS setting before the installation since nothing was mentioned in the BIOS) and it worked :yes:

XP has detected my hard drives and i finished the installation on the E drive, now the problem is that i cannot boot into vista anymore.

i don't want to have a dual boot, i just want to keep only XP how can i do it?

but before that i need to make sure that i'm using the AHCI Mode (and not the IDE one) to get advantage of the Intel S-ATA Controller features AHCI can i find out this without the BIOS check?

regards,

Djasmin

i created the XP CD including the textmode driver (ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI) according to your guide (i wasn't able to check my BIOS setting before the installation since nothing was mentioned in the BIOS) and it worked :yes:

XP has detected my hard drives and i finished the installation on the E drive

It's fine, that you succeeded. So even if you should decide to erase Vista from your computer, you now know, that you are able to get XP successfully installed.
now the problem is that i cannot boot into vista anymore.
That's normal. The reason is, that the older OS (XP) eliminates the Vista bootloader.

You can repair the Vista bootloader either by booting of a Vista DVD and choosing the "Repair" option or by installing a tool like EasyBCD (prior installation of MS Framework 2.0 or higher is needed).

i don't want to have a dual boot, i just want to keep only XP how can i do it?
If you don't want a dual boot option at all, you should do the following:

1. Boot off the just created XP CD with integrated textmode driver.

2. When you are asked where to install, choose drive C (where your Vista is installed now).

3. Do a quick NTFS format of drive C when prompted.

4. Let Setup complete the installation.

Once XP is up, you can run the Disk Management and format drive E (where your first XP installation is).

This way you have got an XP singe boot system.

If you want to change the size of the different partitions or reunite the drives E and F, you should use a tool like Acronis Disk Director Suite (the XP Disk Management may no be able to do it).

but before that i need to make sure that i'm using the AHCI Mode (and not the IDE one) to get advantage of the Intel S-ATA Controller features AHCI can i find out this without the BIOS check?
Run the Device Manager and look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section. If you see a device named "Intel ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" (or similar), you can be sure, that the AHCI features are enabled.

Regards

Fernando

EDIT: If I were you, I would not erase Vista. Even if you don't want a dual boot system now, the drive C (where Vista is now) would be a wonderful place to get Windows 7 installed one day.....

Edited by Fernando 1