Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

I've tried looking on the mainboard for ICH8-? but can't seem to find it, looked in BIOS and found nothing there either.

Never had to pay attention to those details before unfortunately. This would have been much easier had my clients not misplaced their recovery discs...so its a learning experience.

I am not sure if telling you its a Small Form Factor tower would help and that it was built in '05?

Unfortunately i am not sure if its southbridge or not, when i looked online for specific specs all i could find was ICH8.
Without a letter behind the "8" (like ICH8-R)?
Thank you for the USB drivers i will try that out right now. I just attempted doing an unattended install but it brought up an error about having an invalid signature?
The driver I have uploaded is from Dell. I only have extracted the EXE file and created a ZIP file to make it easier for you to find the INF files.

Here are the details:

Title	  : Chip Set:Atmel Trusted Platform Module v 1.2 Driver
Version : A00
OEM Name : Atmel
OEM Ver : 3.0.0.15
Computers : OptiPlex - 745
Oses : Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Home, Windows XP MCE, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP x64
Languages : English
Created : Wed Sep 17 16:00:03 CDT 2008

I've tried looking on the mainboard for ICH8-? but can't seem to find it, looked in BIOS and found nothing there either.
It seems, that you really have an ICH8 chipset Southbridge (without any letter behind the "8"). These chips are not supported by the official Intel textmode drivers, but you may try the ones I have modified.

You will find the download link within the "Preparation" chapter of my guide (look into point 2 b ). Precondition for the use of these modified drivers is, that you have enabled the "AHCI Mode" (not the LEGACY Mode) within the BIOS.

Edited by Fernando 1

Tried your drivers with the AHCI Mode on and received a 0x000007b error stating to remove any recently added hard drive controllers or hard drives.

So... I am guessing I am in the other category?

I appreciate your help in this!

It seems, that you really have an ICH8 chipset Southbridge (without any letter behind the "8"). These chips are not supported by the official Intel textmode drivers, but you may try the ones I have modified.

You will find the download link within the "Preparation" chapter of my guide (look into point 2 b ). Precondition for the use of these modified drivers is, that you have enabled the "AHCI Mode" (not the LEGACY Mode) within the BIOS.

created a new disc using the other drivers, usb drivers, set the bios to normal, install was moving along smoothly then a window popped up with the message:

"Terminal Server Device Redirector Error", so i am guessing i am missing another driver?

Thanks for the guide (the original post). XP setup was able to copy files to HD. But it failed to restart with the msg "Error loading operating system". I have HP Pavilion dv5t-1000us with 4GB memory, and I tried to install XP pro to a partition. Partition "C" has Vista.

Any idea why caused the error? Thanks.

@ d-spice:

Since you are not sure about the exact Southbridge Chip details of your mainboard, you should try the XP installation the easiest way:

Enable the "LEGACY Mode" of your used S-ATA Controllers within the BIOS and boot off the original (=untouched) XP CD. That should work unless you have a hardware problem.

@ cygnifi:

You should try the XP install once more.

If this doesn't solve your problem, you should do the following:

1. Use the BIOS standard memory settings while you try to install the OS.

2. Remove 1-2 RAM sticks during the OS installation procedure.

Edited by Fernando 1

Yes that is what started my journey, just tried it again and i received this error:

STOP: c000021a

The Session Manager Initialization System Process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c

This is the same error message that was waiting for me at my clients place of business. I have considered replacing the drive. I did use the dell diagnostics and it said the drive passed as well as the memory.

Totally lost...

@ d-spice:

Since you are not sure about the exact Southbridge Chip details of your mainboard, you should try the XP installation the easiest way:

Enable the "LEGACY Mode" of your used S-ATA Controllers within the BIOS and boot off the original (=untouched) XP CD. That should work unless you have a hardware problem.

Yes that is what started my journey, just tried it again and i received this error:

The Session Manager Initialization System Process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c

After having done a short Google search, I found this:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.htm...essageID=533149

Question: Did you integrate any MS hotfixes?

Hi Fernando 1, just wanted to thank you for trying to help me solve my issues.

It ended up being a bad drive, I went and purchased a new SATA drive and the install went through perfectly.

Thanks again.

After having done a short Google search, I found this:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.htm...essageID=533149

Question: Did you integrate any MS hotfixes?

Hi Fernando 1, just wanted to thank you for trying to help me solve my issues.

It ended up being a bad drive, I went and purchased a new SATA drive and the install went through perfectly.

Thanks for your feedback, which may help other users with a similar issue.

Fine, that you succeeded at least.

Merry Christmas

Fernando

Thanks for the guide (the original post). XP setup was able to copy files to HD. But it failed to restart with the msg "Error loading operating system". I have HP Pavilion dv5t-1000us with 4GB memory, and I tried to install XP pro to a partition. Partition "C" has Vista.

Any idea why caused the error? Thanks.

Hey I was able to install XP on the same machine yesterday

Download f6flpy32.zip from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...13〈=eng

and Use nLite to slipstream XP SP3 and the textmode SATA driver from the above file into a new XP install. The SATA driver is located in iaAHCI.inf and is called ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

It should solve your continuous reboot problem

@ girishrane:

Thanks for your report, which may help cygnifi to solve his problem.

By the way:

1. The 32bit Intel textmode driver you linked to is v8.2.0.1001 and older than the v8.6.0.1007 driver I have directly linked within my guide (first post of this thread).

2. The Intel S-ATA driver is named IASTOR.SYS.

CU

Fernando

do have any idea regarding this-http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=127695

i hope you can help me..tq.. :rolleyes:

Check your optical drive. If possible, try to replace it by another one.

tried before..still can't do the setup...still locked at kdcom.dll can't loaded... :}