Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ mprost and NBNDOTCOM:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

It is really great, that you have done the MSFN Forums registration just to say "Thank you!"

Feedbacks as your ones are much appreciated (but unfortunately not common).

Best wishes!

Fernando

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

after integrating AHCI drivers for ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI controller into my Win XP cd, I was able to instal XP to my laptop (TOSHIBA SATELLITA A300-1GN), but when XP completed instaliaton and tried to boot, I have got blue deatg screen for few miliseconds and pc restarts. Safe mode didn,t help. Any suggestions? I'm tired of vista :(

after integrating AHCI drivers for ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI controller into my Win XP cd, I was able to instal XP to my laptop (TOSHIBA SATELLITA A300-1GN), but when XP completed instaliaton and tried to boot, I have got blue deatg screen for few miliseconds and pc restarts. Safe mode didn,t help. Any suggestions?
I bet, that your CD/DVD-ROM drive is a S-ATA connected one. Some S-ATA optical drives don't like to run in AHCI or RAID mode, especially not during any OS installation.

Suggestion: Borrow an IDE CD/DVD-ROM drive and connect it to an IDE port of your notebook. Once XP is successfully installed, you may try to reconnect your currently running S-ATA optical drive.

Hi,

there are just a few things they have to be done, if you want to integrate the drivers manually, without nLite:

1) get the latest Intel Matrix Storage driver and the latest Intel Chipset driver

2) copy the five Intel-files (iaAHCI.cat, iaAHCI.inf, iaStor.cat, iaStor.inf, IaStor.sys) into the i386 directory

3) create a $OEM$\driver\iaStor directory and copy the storage files (iaAHCI.cat, iaAHCI.inf, iaStor.cat, iaStor.inf, IaStor.sys) also into this directory

4) create a $OEM$\driver\chipset directory and extract the chipset driver into this directory

5) create a $OEM$\$$\inf directory and copy the inf files (iaAHCI.inf, iaStor.inf) into this directory

6) edit the winnt.sif file and append or create the OemPnpDriversPath

[unattended]

OemPnpDriversPath=\driver\chipset;\driver\iaStor

7) edit the txtsetup.sif and append to allmost the end of the files (but be aware there is an end of file marker as last character, don't delete it):

[sourceDisksFiles.x86]

iaahci.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

iaahci.cat = 100,,,,,,,,3,3

iastor.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

iaahci.cat = 100,,,,,,,,3,3

iaStor.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

[sCSI.Load]

iaStor = iaStor.sys,4

[sCSI]

iaStor = "Intel® SATA AHCI RAID Controller"

-------------------------------------------- end of txtsetup.sif-----------------------

That's all. More can be done but it is not really necessary. You may edit the dosnet.inf but this is only needed if you plan to run a Win PE and install from this.

Regards, Nils.

Edited by derniwi

@ derniwi:

Hello Nils,

thanks for the details about the manual integration of the Intel textmode and chipset drivers into a bootable XP CD, but it may irritate the users of my guide, because you posted it into the wrong MSFN Forum (this Forum would have been the suitable one).

This is the nLite Forum and a thread about how to successfully integrate the Intel textmode drivers by using this tool and not about how to do it manually. Users, who are using my guide, don't have to copy files into the i386 directory and neither have to create any $OEM$ folders nor to edit any SIF files.

By the way:

1. It is not necessary to copy all Intel files into the i386 directory. The only file which is needed there is the SYS file (in this case the IASTOR.SYS).

2. The first line of your [sourceDisksFiles.x86] entries has nothing to do with the Intel textmode drivers. The ITEATAPI.SYS is an ITE textmode driver.

3. You forgot to mention, that your guide is only valid for an Intel ICH7-10 RAID system. The "Intel® SATA AHCI Controller" entry is missing within the TXTSETUP.SIF file.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Hi Fernando,

sorry, I'm looking for an integration guide since a few weeks. I haven't seen that this thread is for nLite, but I edited my last post.

I corrected the second point.

For 1. I have recognized sometimes weird problems if I do not copy the .inf files.

The "Intel® SATA AHCI Controller" should just be an reference text but I think it is not really necessary to have this as an identifier. Because of the HardwareID's the reference is iaStor, and this is the ID which is used in [sCSI.load] and [sCSI]. Using multiple texts in the SCSI section should be possible but not really necessary.

Best regards, Nils.

What is the difference between INF-Intel and INF-SATA(Iastor)? Because when I manually install my ICH7-M on my Lenovo T60 and reboot and set AHCI in bios it gave me a BSOD.

So what to change in order to have AHCI set in bios and booting in XP?

What is the difference between INF-Intel and INF-SATA(Iastor)?
I am not sure, what you mean, but nevertheless I will try to explain it:
  1. The Intel "INF Drivers" (="INF Update Utility") contain the informations how to manage the various devices of the different Intel chipsets. So these "drivers" are the Intel Chipset "drivers".
  2. The files IASTOR.INF and IAAHCI.INF are the information files of the associated Intel textmode driver IASTOR.SYS and part of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

Only the Intel textmode driver IASTOR.SYS with the assiciated INF and CAT files have to be integrated into the OS CD, the Intel Chipset "drivers" can easily be installed once the OS is up.

So what to change in order to have AHCI set in bios and booting in XP?
1.Prepare a bootable XP CD with integrated Intel ICH7M SATA AHCI Controller according to my guide.

2. Set the Intel SATA Controllers to "AHCI Mode" within the BIOS.

3. Boot off the prepared CD and install Windows XP.

Be aware, that your optical drive, where you are booting from, is not connected to any Intel S-ATA port. Some optical drives do not like to run in SATA AHCI mode, especially during the installation of any Windows OS.

after integrating AHCI drivers for ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI controller into my Win XP cd, I was able to instal XP to my laptop (TOSHIBA SATELLITA A300-1GN), but when XP completed instaliaton and tried to boot, I have got blue deatg screen for few miliseconds and pc restarts. Safe mode didn,t help. Any suggestions?
I bet, that your CD/DVD-ROM drive is a S-ATA connected one. Some S-ATA optical drives don't like to run in AHCI or RAID mode, especially not during any OS installation.

Suggestion: Borrow an IDE CD/DVD-ROM drive and connect it to an IDE port of your notebook. Once XP is successfully installed, you may try to reconnect your currently running S-ATA optical drive.

Hi there,

I'm facing the exact same problem. Now its going in continuous reboot loop. I cant fix boot manager menu using system recovery disc came with laptop. Its asking me to go back to factory setup..... What should I do? Please help...... I boot using XP CD and repair and run fixMBR and FIXboot but still no help... How to borrow IDE CD/DVD ROM? can I try to install it using USB CD/DVD ROM? will that work?

Hopefully someone can help me out... I've attempted to use nlite and the instructions on here to create a disk for my clients Optiplex 745. I have tried booting with bios set to either setting of legacy or the other (can't remember the name), and i get different results every time.

When booting in legacy mode the install will actually get to the point where i click ok to agree to the time zone...problem is it appears none of the USB ports are working and therefore I can't continue.

When booting in the other bios mode, i get the error to check drive controllers, uninstall etc.. and the install never finishes correctly.

I'm about wits end, but i see a lot of experts on here, hopefully someone can shed some light for me, and recommend the next best course of action.

Thanks in advance

Almost forgot.. installing xp professional 32-bit.

Edited by d_spice

@ d_spice:

1. Are you sure, that your Dell Optiplex 745 has an Intel chipset southbridge? If yes, you should give us the details about the Intel chipset (ICH6/ICH7/ICH8-R?).

2. Regarding the missing USB drivers you should integrate Dell's special USB drivers. You can get them here. Unzip and integrate them as PnP drivers. Precondition is, that you have enabled theUSB ports within the BIOS.

Hi Fernando 1

Unfortunately i am not sure if its southbridge or not, when i looked online for specific specs all i could find was ICH8.

Thank you for the USB drivers i will try that out right now. I just attempted doing an unattended install but it brought up an error about having an invalid signature?

@ d_spice:

1. Are you sure, that your Dell Optiplex 745 has an Intel chipset southbridge? If yes, you should give us the details about the Intel chipset (ICH6/ICH7/ICH8-R?).

2. Regarding the missing USB drivers you should integrate Dell's special USB drivers. You can get them here. Unzip and integrate them as PnP drivers. Precondition is, that you have enabled theUSB ports within the BIOS.

Unfortunately i am not sure if its southbridge or not, when i looked online for specific specs all i could find was ICH8.
Without a letter behind the "8" (like ICH8-R)?
Thank you for the USB drivers i will try that out right now. I just attempted doing an unattended install but it brought up an error about having an invalid signature?
The driver I have uploaded is from Dell. I only have extracted the EXE file and created a ZIP file to make it easier for you to find the INF files.

Here are the details:

Title	  : Chip Set:Atmel Trusted Platform Module v 1.2 Driver
Version : A00
OEM Name : Atmel
OEM Ver : 3.0.0.15
Computers : OptiPlex - 745
Oses : Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Home, Windows XP MCE, Windows XP Pro and Windows XP x64
Languages : English
Created : Wed Sep 17 16:00:03 CDT 2008

Edited by Fernando 1