Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Ok if i select only the "Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller" in nLite then it will work but how can i make a Windows XP CD that will work on more then only one Intel SATA Chipt Controller ?

Edited by Outbreaker

Ok if i select only the "Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller" in nLite then it will work but how can i make a Windows XP CD that will work on more then only one Intel SATA Chipt Controller ?
I thought, that you are going to prepare just an XP CD for your Intel ICH8M chipset notebook. Your CD with integrated "Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" will work with this machine.

Do you have several notebooks/desktops with different Intel ICH7-10 chipsets and different IDE mode (AHCI or RAID)? If yes, you should enable all listed Intel Controllers within the textmode driver popup window.

The Problem is if i use the original driver for intel then the "Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller" is not listed in nLite.
That doesn't have any effect, because the integrated "Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" will support the "Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller" of your notebook.

Let me explain:

All AHCI capable mobile Intel Southbridge Controllers with an ICH7M, ICH8M or ICH9M chipset are "Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controllers".

That means, that the "Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" of your notebook is just the special name, but belongs to the series of "Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controllers".

You don't find the name "Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller" within the actual Intel textmode driver popup window, because there are different Controllers (ICH7M, ICH8M and ICH9M) with different HardwareID's within this Controller generation.

I test it and used the original intel driver and selected only "Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" but i get a Windows XP Bulescreen.
At which stage of the installation?

Has your S-ATA hdd been detected?

Are you sure, that the notebook has an Intel ICH8M Southbridge Controller and that the S-ATA Controllers have been set to AHCI mode (and not to RAID mode)? If not, you should create a new XP CD with integrated Intel textmode drivers, but this time you should enable all Intel Controllers, which are listed within the popup window during the textmode driver integration.

The problem is that the original .inf files form the Intel Driver are not working with all the Intel Chip's. What i now is that it is possible to update the .inf file to make it compatible to more Intel Chip's and the problem is i don't now how to do that.

Here is a old modified Intel Driver that will work without problem.

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=V04DCOTB

The only problem with this driver is that it would be good to have a Uptodate driver.

Edited by Outbreaker

The problem is that the original .inf files form the Intel Driver are not working with all the Intel Chip's.
You had written, that your notebook has a Southbridge with an Intel ICH8M chipset. The actual Intel textmode drivers do fully support this chipset.

If you didn't succeed with the installation by using the actual Intel driver, your information obviously was wrong. Please check the exact Intel chipset of your notebook's Southbridge.

What i now is that it is possible to update the .inf file to make it compatible to more Intel Chip's and the problem is i don't now how to do that.

Here is a old modified Intel Driver that will work without problem.

http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=V04DCOTB

The only problem with this driver is that it would be good to have a Uptodate driver.

So you expect, that I will modify the INF and OEM files of Intel's newest textmode drivers for you, because you don't like to install a working, but too "old" drivers from 2007? That's a joke, isn't it?

Without having the exact Device ID of your Intel SATA AHCI Controller I am not even able to customize the actual driver for your hardware.

Furthermore it isn't assured, that the actual Intel drivers (the real driver is the file named IASTOR.SYS) will work with your chipset at all. ICH6M chipsets are not supported by them anymore.

My advice: Take the modded driver you found.

Good luck!

Fernando

My question was more if it is possible to make the driver work for all ICH7, ICH8, ICH9, ICH10 ?
It is possible to modify the INF and OEM files, but I am not sure, that this modded version will work for you.

By the way:

If you read my guide carefully, you will find a modified version of the newest Intel textmode drivers with enhanced compatibility. The modded version is supporting even ICH8 and ICH9 chipsets without "M" or "R".

Yes i tried also you modified version but also no luck.
Then take the ones, which are working!

Why are you still bothering me?

The Intel textmode drivers v8.6.1007, which were modified by me last night, do support all known Intel ICH7-10 SATA AHCI Controllers. If this driver does not work for you, your notebook probably has an Intel ICH6(M) chipset Southbridge. None of the actual Intel textmode drivers do support any ICH6 Controller.

Edited by Fernando 1

It's now working it was a VirtualBox SATA Bug in that version i had grr.

Last question can i include all Packs "B,C,D" with nlite to support all the drivers form ICH5 to ICH10.

I test it but if i do that i get a Bluescreen if i include only the Pack "C" for the ICH6 then it works without problems.

Edited by Outbreaker

Last question can i include all Packs "B,C,D" with nlite to support all the drivers form ICH5 to ICH10.
No, that wouldn't work, because the real Intel drivers (= SYS files) of all versions have the same name "IASTOR.SYS". So if you would integrate more than 1 Intel driverset, the previously integrated ones would be overwritten within the i386 directory. Furthermore you would get a driver version mix-up.

Don't integrate more than 1 Intel driver set (A, B, C or D).

I test it but if i do that i get a Bluescreen if i include only the Pack "C" for the ICH6 then it works without problems.
That shows, that the notebook has an Intel ICH6M SATA AHCI Controller. You should integrate just version "C".

really detailed and great guide, no problem to install XP in my Dell Latitude E6500 following your steps (previously had a bsod on setup, Stop 0x0000007B)

thank you very much Fernando