Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to follow this process, but nLite gives me a "Can't open file" message just a bit after it starts burning the image onto disk (I lost about 3 cd-Rs in this way before I figured out the test write option...) The file it can't open is DRIVER.CAD, which I have discovered is a zip file inside another file marked I386.

So, a few questions...

1. Could this be happening because the XP installation disk I have is an edu copy from the university?

2. Could I solve the problem by unzipping DRIVER.CAD into a normal folder marked DRIVER?

3. Anyone have any words of encouragemnet and hope?

Sorry if there are other similar posts, I couldn't find anything on my search.

Thanks,

Bryan

I'm trying to follow this process, but nLite gives me a "Can't open file" message just a bit after it starts burning the image onto disk (I lost about 3 cd-Rs in this way before I figured out the test write option...) The file it can't open is DRIVER.CAD, which I have discovered is a zip file inside another file marked I386.
Within the original OS CD there is no file named DRIVER.CAD, but a file named DRIVER.CAB where all driver are packed.

So I suspect, that you don't have an original XP CD.

Nevertheless you may try to rename the file from DRIVER.CAD to DRIVER.CAB and see what happens.

hello i did this, slipstream intel ahci driver, but now IE is removed and some parts of the OS are really f*cked up. what happened? what did I do wrong?
Since the intregation of any textmode driver does not touch the OS and its applications like Internet Explorer at all, you either didn't use a clean OS CD as source or enabled the removal of some features like the IE while processing with nLite.

Within the original OS CD there is no file named DRIVER.CAD, but a file named DRIVER.CAB where all driver are packed.

Nevertheless you may try to rename the file from DRIVER.CAD to DRIVER.CAB and see what happens.

Hi, Fernando 1: thanks for your time and effort here, it is appreciated.

Sry about the mistype. You are correct, the file is .CAB. So... any thoughts as to why nLite can't open it on my computer?

Bryan

Hi, Fernando 1: thanks for your time and effort here, it is appreciated.

Sry about the mistype. You are correct, the file is .CAB. So... any thoughts as to why nLite can't open it on my computer?

Bryan

OK, the first time I tried to follow this guide was on a computer with an XP Pro OS, and I encountered several problems, the most frequent of which was that nLite couldn't open the DRIVER.CAB file when it started to burn the ISO image to disk. I never figured out what I was doing wrong in that case. Instead, I followed the process using Vista Home Premium, the same installation it was my intention to replace with a clean installation of XP Pro. It worked, without a hitch.

Now, of course, I'm reconsidering whether I really want to go back to XP, as everything about this process went much more smoothly when I did from Vista.

Bryan

hi fernando hope you can help me ...

]

i have Toshiba a200 satellite come with Spanish vista i format and put Xp English i manage to integrate Intel® Matrix Storage Manager to my xp with nlite and all ok but laptop run for 2 weeks then again no HDD

now decide to put Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x86 SP1 Integrate English again i get message : No driver ...... i put Intel® Matrix Storage Manager in usb flash disc and try to run installation browse for the driver but no way .....

ok i have now VLITE i try to integrate Intel® Matrix Storage Manager.EXE but Vlite in drive section ask for file .INF ... any help

hello i did this, slipstream intel ahci driver, but now IE is removed and some parts of the OS are really f*cked up. what happened? what did I do wrong?
Since the intregation of any textmode driver does not touch the OS and its applications like Internet Explorer at all, you either didn't use a clean OS CD as source or enabled the removal of some features like the IE while processing with nLite.

nope that's not it but i guess nLite isn't certified for XP Tablet edition (works fine with XP Pro)

i have Toshiba a200 satellite come with Spanish vista i format and put Xp English i manage to integrate Intel® Matrix Storage Manager to my xp with nlite and all ok but laptop run for 2 weeks then again no HDD

now decide to put Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x86 SP1 Integrate English again i get message : No driver ...... i put Intel® Matrix Storage Manager in usb flash disc and try to run installation browse for the driver but no way .....

ok i have now VLITE i try to integrate Intel® Matrix Storage Manager.EXE but Vlite in drive section ask for file .INF ... any help

1. You will not be able to integrate any textmode driver into Vista (not even by using vLite).

2. Download the extracted 32bit Intel textmode driver by using the link from the start post. Then load the driver off an USB stick when prompted by Vista Setup.

thx fernando :thumbup

all worked exellent. After a long journey I found your great guide. :blushing::blushing: My system: motherbord GA-x48-DS4 with Intel Q9550; 4 GB RAM; 4 x WD500GB (RAID 5); BluRay.

greezz synadari

Edit I didn't remove RAM. It worked fine with this Gigabyte-bord

Edited by synadari

thx fernando :thumbup

all worked exellent. After a long journey I found your great guide. :blushing::blushing: My system: motherbord GA-x48-DS4 with Intel Q9550; 4 GB RAM; 4 x WD500GB (RAID 5); BluRay.

greezz synadari

Edit I didn't remove RAM. It worked fine with this Gigabyte-bord

Fine, that you succeeded by following my guide.

CU

Fernando

I've tried to use this guide to attempt to allow me to use the F6 floppy method to install XP Pro on a new system.

Motherboard Asus P5b-vm se (has the ICH8 on board)

2 Gig OCZ DDR2 SDRAM (memtest passes OK)

Seagate 320 Gig SATA HD

When I attempt to install Win2k (just because I like it!), it detects the partitions I made using Partition Magic but fails to format the C: partition.

When I attempt to install WinXP, it doesn't even detect the partitions and reports a 131,xxx Meg drive. The installation continues and I can run it. To use the rest of the 320 Gig, I resize and create other partitions. When I reboot, WinXP doesn't get started and reports a corrupt disk. If I try to re-install I get a 131,xxx Meg drive.

I tried to use your guide to add the "Testmode" drivers. Booting into Ubuntu 8.0.4 and use "lspci" to determine what pci devices are present, I find that there's a 4-port SATA controller with vendor:device of 8086:2820 and a 2-port SATA controller of 8086:2825.

I download the Intel documents for the ICH8 and again using "lspci" get some dumps of the configuration space for the 8086:2820 controller. This device SUPPORTS AHCI and in fact has detected the presence of a device on port 1 (where I connected it).

I then modify "Fernandos fixed files" to find the 8086:2820 device and do the install of the textmode drivers.WinXP reacted the same way as without the changes. Digging deeper into the configuration registers, I see that the MAP register at offset 0x90 is set 0x00 indicating IDE mode. This is what the BIOS thinks is the best mode (and probably is "compatibility" mode). Another field in this register is 0x00 as well and indicates that AHCI or RAID (????) may be selected.

I've had no success with this system but I do think that Asus needs to allow the selection of AHCI/IDE/??? for this register. Then I think I might even be able to use this system!

Am I on track here or am I "off in the weeds"?

Herb

hi herbr

you are in right place

i have normal asus p5b board, which i had these problems before

can you tell me which ich8 you have?

mine is ICH8 82801HB

and from hwid i get this:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2824&SUBSYS_81EC1043&REV_02\3&11583659&0&FA: Intel® ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller

yours probably different, because you wrote 2820 in your posts

strategy is a bit simple, after getting the number (in your situation 2820), use ich9 settings for ich8 to modify original driverse :) (it is only ich8 ahci method, not a general method)

i wrote a tutorial here

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5377

look "A ) Main Method" and follow steps 1) and 3)

if you have success, please inform this topic (fernando) and dps site (as i did), so others will share of your findings.

ps:

in my asus there is an option:

**Bios-->Main-->Ide Configuration (or ahci configuration)-->SATA Configuration-->Configure SATA as-->IDE

but sadly this option is not in many boards (also not in many asus boards)

Thanks Lancelot_Real.

I don't understand what that process you provided is doing.

I went to Intel, downloaded the ICH8 document and its' updates. What I found is that the Dev ID in the ICH8 CHANGES DEPENDING on the MODE set by the BIOS. My motherboard is an Asus P5B-VM SE and the Asus BIOS (903 the latest) DOES NOT ALLOW NAY choice of mode i.e. IDE/AHCI/RAID. If the BIOS allowed that I am quite sure that the Dev ID's I see would NOT be 2820 and 2825 but rather they would be the ones in the TXTSETUP.OEM that I modified.

To illustrate this, go to the BIOS on your motherboard and select IDE mode. I WOULD NOT BOOT TO YOUR OS after this - it WON'T WORK!. Download a live cd (like UBUNTU 8.0.4) and boot it. Use "sudo lspci -vnn" to look at the device ID's on devices:function 1f.2 and if.5

I cannot confirm this on my motherboard since I cannot change the mode in the BIOS.

If I could change the mode in the BIOS, I would not be trying to "fix" the TXTSETUP.OEM file.

By the way, lspci on my board reports the device a couple of ways depending on the DevID found - for the LPC Interface Controller it reports 82801HB/HR (ICH8/R) and for the SATA IDE it always reports 82802H (ICH8 Family). You can try to figure that one out ;-)

I'll just have to bother Asus (or wait for them to see the light ;-)

Herb