Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

The driver packs you made yourself are also good for Vista right? Asus' site has older versions of these drivers and they seem to be xp/vista all-in-one so these should be no different unless I'm mistaken.

The driver packs you made yourself are also good for Vista right? Asus' site has older versions of these drivers and they seem to be xp/vista all-in-one so these should be no different unless I'm mistaken.
You can use the Intel textmode drivers of my prepared package for Vista too. The only thing to pay attention is, that Vista x86 needs the 32bit package whereas you have to take the 64bit one for Vista x64.

Hey Fernando,

I just wanted to say thanks for putting together that s-ata xp install guide.

I had some very fuzzy ideas about how to install xp onto a store bought

Gateway PC (which only officially supported vista) but had trouble finding

the details. Then I found your guide on MSFN.

I followed the instructions as closely as I could and used your driver pack.

I was still a little apprehensive about it working. My experience with these

sorts of procedures has conditioned me to expect the worst.

I was delighted to see that it worked on the first try :)

Thanks again for saving me a lot of time and trouble.

Hey Fernando,

I just wanted to say thanks for putting together that s-ata xp install guide.

I had some very fuzzy ideas about how to install xp onto a store bought

Gateway PC (which only officially supported vista) but had trouble finding

the details. Then I found your guide on MSFN.

I followed the instructions as closely as I could and used your driver pack.

I was still a little apprehensive about it working. My experience with these

sorts of procedures has conditioned me to expect the worst.

I was delighted to see that it worked on the first try :)

Thanks again for saving me a lot of time and trouble.

Hi PatrickNT,

you are welcome.

Thanks for giving this positive feedback.

CU

Fernando

Fernando

I need some help from you please. I have a dell 1520 laptop that has ata turned on right now and the properties states that it is an ich8m. When I recieved the machine it was running vista with a AHCI Enabled. Since then I have turned AHCI off and installed xp Pro and vista. I have a hard drive and a blueray burner on it and would like to reenable AHCI. I downloaded the available textmode drivers from dell and used nlite to integrate them. It is not currently finding my drive when I turn ahci back on and when windows is loading I never get anything that says that it is trying to install any of the drivers that I am adding. Should the driver description show up on the bottom when they are loading? Also researching the slipstreaming I know that youa re supposed to put them in specific folders and edit boot scripts and stuff. Does Nlite do this stuff for me, and if so where do i look to confirm proper installation so that I can rule out hardware vs. software problems. Thanks

I have a dell 1520 laptop that has ata turned on right now and the properties states that it is an ich8m. When I recieved the machine it was running vista with a AHCI Enabled. Since then I have turned AHCI off and installed xp Pro and vista. I have a hard drive and a blueray burner on it and would like to reenable AHCI. I downloaded the available textmode drivers from dell and used nlite to integrate them.
Why didn't you integrate the drivers I have recommended and linked within my guide? You should highlight just the Intel ® 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E/M), when you see the textmode driver popup while preparing your nLited XP CD Image.
It is not currently finding my drive when I turn ahci back on and when windows is loading I never get anything that says that it is trying to install any of the drivers that I am adding.
It probably did not find your hdd, because you loaded the wrong Intel textmode driver (SATA RAID instead of SATA AHCI).
Should the driver description show up on the bottom when they are loading?
Yes, you should see just for a moment, that the file IASTOR.SYS is being loaded during the first (=textmode) part of the OS installation. When you have integrated the correct Intel SATA AHCI driver for ICH8M chipsets, your hdd will be detected after having loaded all textmode drivers.
Also researching the slipstreaming I know that youa re supposed to put them in specific folders and edit boot scripts and stuff. Does Nlite do this stuff for me, and if so where do i look to confirm proper installation so that I can rule out hardware vs. software problems.
Everything is done by nLite automaticly. You can verify the proper installation of the hardware and the associated drivers by looking into the device manager after having completed the OS installation. Edited by Fernando 1

• 3 weeks later...

I`ve been doing all the steps from your guide, but i keep getting some unusual problem . So i finished doing all the steps, but when i actually try to boot from the minidvd, the monitor is completly black and no progress can be made, just the cursor appear... any thoughts?

I now found that it doesn`t see it as a bootable dvd... i wonder why, since i did specify to be one

OK, problem solved. I selected from nlite direct burn, which was suppose to make the cd bootable but it didn`t. Then i just use Create ISO and after i burned the image, this one was bootable.

Edited by basics

Fernando 1

Thanks a lot :rolleyes:

i had a similar problem abaut ich8 and by adding

; ICH8

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2824&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2824&CC_0106

; ICH8

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2824&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2824&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2824&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801HB SATA AHCI Controller"

lines to iaahci.inf nearrly solved the problem. (a hugeeee step, thanks to you)

I am using Asus P5B (normal P5B :>) with 2 disks raid0 (jmicron) + 1 disk ich8.

when i was installing ahci to my sytem (2003 64 for personal use) i showed ich9 to system and everything worked fine.

(note: P5B has 2 chipsets, jmicron + ich8 )

BUT

when i try to use BartPE, problem began. BartPE easily see my jmicron raid0 disks and a friend's ich9r raid0 disks and another friend's ich9 ahci disk, no problem.

But when i enable ahci on my 3rd disk (ich8) , BartPE had no way to see the drive.

now by adding these lines you gave to iaahci.inf:

BartPE still start with not seeing 3rd drive, but now i can use "install new devices" program to make BartPE find the Ahci enabled 3rd drive. (i put it on startup, so BartPE now install 3rd disk with ahci drive but without drive letters on startup)

After that, i use paragon partition manager to assign drive letters.

Now i am looking for a program to assign unassigned drive letters automatically. :rolleyes:

or do u know a way to reassign letters. (by restarting a program or service :> or by uninstalling and installing sth from xp.)

there seems to be 2 solutions for the problem:

1) from txtsetup.sif

or

2) automatic drive letter assignement

If you dont know anything about BartPe, a little introduction:

BartPe have very much similarities with Unattended XP, I first learned Unattended XP so i had no problems understanding BartPE.

BartPE creates a txtsetup.sif and put driver informations in it.

by making changes you mentioned before, i made a txtsetup.sif but it didnt work for me. (for solution 1)

http://rapidshare.de/files/38574653/txtsetup.sif.rar.html

for BartPE web site: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

its my first message to msfn.org, :>, i learned unattended installation 4 years ago from here, and step by step now its the place i came. (i started to write instead of read :>) I wanted to give a good rescue cd to my country man that doesn't now english, everthing is ready except this small bug in BartPE. (when its ready, i will convert it to english :>)

http://forum.donanimhaber.com/m_20801405/tm.htm

thanks again for your help.

note: I hope you will smile as me with the similarities between configurations.

My Current System: Asus P5B (Intel Broadwater P965 )(Bios:P5B-ASUS-1604.ROM) (Rev 1.04G) // 2x250 GB Samsung SP2504C S-ATA II as Raid0 jmicron // 1x400 GB Seagate ST3400620AS NCQ S-ATA II // Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz (10 x 200) // 2x1 GB DDR2 PC2-6400 (400*2=800Mhz) Kingston RAM (KTC1G-UDIMM) // Asus 512MB Extreme Silent Magic N8500GT (PCI-E) // Aopen 350 W powersupply

My Asus P5B information page: http://forum.pcbilgi.net/index.php?topic=778.0

@ Lancelot Real:

I am sorry, that I cannot help you due to the lack of any experience with BartPE.

Furthermore I have no idea how to solve your drive letter problem.

All your difficulties probably have something to do with the fact, that the Intel ICH8 Controller (without R or M) natively doesn't support AHCI.

CU

Fernando

BartPE still start with not seeing 3rd drive, but now i can use "install new devices" program to make BartPE find the Ahci enabled 3rd drive. (i put it on startup, so BartPE now install 3rd disk with ahci drive but without drive letters on startup)

After that, i use paragon partition manager to assign drive letters.

Now i am looking for a program to assign unassigned drive letters automatically. :rolleyes:

or do u know a way to reassign letters. (by restarting a program or service :> or by uninstalling and installing sth from xp.)

You can use MOUNTVOL command.

This can be included in a batch file, if you use also vlm, part of the DSFOK toolkit here:

http://freezip.cjb.net/freeware

you can easily select the drive from it's label or Symbolic link.

just run:

MOUNTVOL >C:\Mountvol.txt

and

VLM >C:\vlm.txt

to see which output they produce, then read "between the lines" of this:

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbstick_e.html

and get the good ol' mnt / unmount:

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/unmnt10.zip

If you search on the board, you should find a number of posts about batches using MOUNTVOL to determine drive letters.

jaclaz

jaclaz :

thanks for help, i read a lot through the links you gave, but couldn't suceed from them.

after that i forced myself to make a search again, an attt last i find the program i need.

"Mount Storage PE" from

http://www.kare-net.de/Plugins.htm

here is a summary what i did in BartPE for google searchers:

BartPE not assigning drive letters problem solution:

(I found the solultion from my problem; BartPE not assigning ICH8 ahci enabled disk , i think it will work for assigning drive letter for usb flash and usb externals disks too)

1) i put ahci driver from intel v7.8.0.1012 to driver folder.

2) i added lines to iaahci.inf as Fernando 1 wrote before. here are them:

; ICH8

; ICH8

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2824&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® 82801HB SATA AHCI Controller"

3) i put hwpnp utility to BartPE (a plugin from Sherpya that searchs plug&play devices)

4) i put "Mount Storage PE"

5) i made a command file and put it on startup, here is what i wrote:

start /wait %SystemRoot%\system32\HWPnp.exe +all /log /p /d

start /wait %SystemRoot%\system32\MountStorPe.exe -h

6) I made a shortcut of this command line to bartpe in case of a need of pluging a new disk.

for regular users of assigning drive letter problems 3, 4, 5, 6th steps are enough. Step 1, 2 are solution for ICH8 82801HB.

Thanks to "Fernando 1" again, i coulnt solve this problem for 6 months (since i bought my new mainboard) and if "Fernando 1" didnt wrote down the ICH8 82801HB solution for unattended installation of Windows I still won't solve the problem. At last its solved. :rolleyes:

ADD (20080709):

with better written adds to iaahci.inf and txtsetup.oem (2nd step improvement) 3, 4, 5, 6th steps are no needed anymore, i posted a copy here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Integration-of-I...192#entry779192

also look here if you want to do yourself:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/7582

LiveXP users, look here: http://www.msfn.org/board/Integration-of-I...050#entry779050

Edited by Lancelot_Real