Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Try to delete the "unknown devices" and reboot.
I did try that. They just re-appear after rebooting.
Have a look into the "properties" of the "unknown devices" to get some more informations about them.

On the details tab for these in device manager, Device Instance ID reads:

1) "ACPI\ATK01\1010110"

2) "ACPI\PNP0700\4&B6AFFD&0"

Device Type: Other Devices

Manufacturer: Unkown

Edited by -.-PhanTom-.-

1) "ACPI\ATK01\1010110"

The first one is the ASUS ACPI device. You will find the driver on your ASUS mainboard CD.

The second one probably is the floppy disk controller. If you don't have any floppy drive device, you should disable the FDD Controller within the BIOS.

Edited by Fernando 1

1) "ACPI\ATK01\1010110"

The first one is the ASUS ACPI device. You will find the driver on your ASUS mainboard CD.

The second one probably is the floppy disk controller. If you don't have any floppy drive device, you should disable the FDD Controller within the BIOS.

DOH!...

Sorry about the Floppy, BIOS had reset and I forgot to disable floppy again :blushing:

ASUS ACPI device... hmmm wonder if that can be intergated also... will browse the cd...

Thank you for your help and your patience, greatly appreciated! :thumbup

1) "ACPI\ATK01\1010110"

DOH!...

Sorry about the Floppy, BIOS had reset and I forgot to disable floppy again :blushing:

ASUS ACPI device... hmmm wonder if that can be intergated also... will browse the cd...

Thank you for your help and your patience, greatly appreciated! :thumbup

You are welcome! Edited by Fernando 1

Thanks for the guide Fernando, i was looking for something like this. However i have one question before i start the process. I don't have any IDE devices to my system. I have a Samsung SH-S203B SATA as well a H.D.D. WD SATA2. The question is if i set the SATA Mode to AHCI to enable the AHCI features and of course integrate the Intel SATA/RAID drivers with nLite will it work? I am asking because i did a test with my original XP Installation Disk and it doesn't even detect the SATA DVD (meaning it doesn't even the show the message "Press any key to boot from CD") when i set it to work in AHCI Mode and i don't know if the integration method with nLite going to help on that.

Oh and one more question about AHCI in general. I heard that if you enable AHCI and you have the Intel ICH9R controller you can't enable write caching under XP and/or Vista, only if you have a RAID setup you can enable write caching. Did you experience this "problem"?

Edited by Haruspex

I don't have any IDE devices to my system. I have a Samsung SH-S203B SATA as well a H.D.D. WD SATA2. The question is if i set the SATA Mode to AHCI to enable the AHCI features and of course integrate the Intel SATA/RAID drivers with nLite will it work? I am asking because i did a test with my original XP Installation Disk and it doesn't even detect the SATA DVD (meaning it doesn't even the show the message "Press any key to boot from CD") when i set it to work in AHCI Mode and i don't know if the integration method with nLite going to help on that.
AFAIK you have 2 options:

1. Run the BIOS and set the S-ATA Controller, where the DVD-ROM drive is connected, to IDE mode and the hdd connected Controllers to AHCI mode.

2. If the first option is not possible, you should borrow somewhere a natively IDE connected optical drive just for the OS installation. Once it is finished, you will be able to replace it by your S-ATA connected one.

Oh and one more question about AHCI in general. I heard that if you enable AHCI and you have the Intel ICH9R controller you can't enable write caching under XP and/or Vista, only if you have a RAID setup you can enable write caching. Did you experience this "problem"?
As I don't have an Intel ICH9R chipset mainboard, I don't have any own experience regarding this problem.

Hi Fernando,

Thanks to your advice I install XP SP2 on my laptop computer.

"Medion MD 96370 with DVD-RW on ATA, HD on SATA and pre installed Vista Home Premium."

I trying to made fresh installation of XP but without your guide I can't (invisible HD).

Now everything looks OK but in Properties - Device Manager - Other device - Unknown Device.

"Location on microsoft ACPI - Compliant Embedded Controller"

"Details - Device Instance Id - ACPI\PNPOC32\2"

"Hardware Id - ACPI\PNPOC32 *PNPOC32".

Can you help mi solve the problem (I try to reinstall all available drivers, doesn't work).

Happy New Year

Gruby

Now everything looks OK but in Properties - Device Manager - Other device - Unknown Device.

"Location on microsoft ACPI - Compliant Embedded Controller"

"Details - Device Instance Id - ACPI\PNPOC32\2"

"Hardware Id - ACPI\PNPOC32 *PNPOC32".

Can you help mi solve the problem (I try to reinstall all available drivers, doesn't work).

Hi Grubi,

it's fine, that I could help you with my guide to get XP installed onto your Intel chipset Medion laptop.

I have done a google search for the Hardware Id "ACPI\PNPOC32", but I only got links in cyrillic letters, which I cannot read.

It is obviously a power management driver for your laptop (originally a Toshiba Satelite?). Ask the Medion support for a suitable driver.

If you have a laptop with preinstalled Vista, you may have problems to get a working XP driver for that device.

Good luck and happy new year!

Fernando

I just wanted to let you know Fernando that plain old ICH8 does indeed support ACHI, http://kerneltrap.org/node/7582 , contains the information about it. You might want to add it in as an "experimental" and a use at your own discrepancy type of warning.
Thank you for this important information.

Since obviously some ICH8 and ICH9 chipsets are fully supporting AHCI despite the contrary announcements done by Intel, I have updated my guide regarding this point.

Thanks again!

Fernando

Just wanted to add in order to have ICH8 achi/raid support you need to modify the files that site says, which I have done, but have not tested yet.

Here are those files:

http://rapidshare.com/files/81772146/iaahci.inf.html FIXED VERSION

http://rapidshare.com/files/81542029/TXTSETUP.OEM.html

It really is easy to maintain the iaahci.inf and txtsetup.oem, since you basically add in a total of 4 entries. Additionally, these files aren't updated that often.

Edited by Akkuma

Just wanted to add in order to have ICH8 achi/raid support you need to modify the files that site says, which I have done, but have not tested yet.

Here are those files:

http://rapidshare.com/files/81541744/iaahci.inf.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/81542029/TXTSETUP.OEM.html

It really is easy to maintain the iaahci.inf and txtsetup.oem, since you basically add in a total of 4 entries. Additionally, these files aren't updated that often.

Thanks for this additional statement and the download links.

Since I do not want to make my guide larger than necessary, I have just put an additional link to your post into my guide.

CU

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

I can confirm that my system is running in ACHI mode, since everything is set to it in the BIOS, except I have a strange entry in the device manager. NOTE: Missed one line in the .inf file, so I am replacing the one I uploaded at rapidshare. If anyone has used the old one and integrated it DO NOT WORRY as it looks to be just literally a string setting for what name to display in the device manager.

I can confirm that my system is running in ACHI mode, since everything is set to it in the BIOS, except I have a strange entry in the device manager. NOTE: Missed one line in the .inf file, so I am replacing the one I uploaded at rapidshare. If anyone has used the old one and integrated it
Thanks for your post and for uploading the fixed INF file version.

Which "strange" entry do you have in the Device Manager?