Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ sucro:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

When i boot new Win XP Pro SP3 CD with integrated ICH10 SATA AHCI x86 drivers, it doesn't detect my OCZ SSD Vertex Agility S3, at the end of loading drivers, where XP PRO SP3 x86 installation comes to part "Windows start up", when loading of drivers is finished, suddenly comes BSOD - blue screen of dead,
Questions:

1. Did you use an original (= untouched) XP CD as source?

2. Which SATA Controller did you check, when nLite was doing its textmode driver integration work?

Regards

Fernando

Thank you very much on warm welcome Fernando ;)!

1. Yes, i used original Win XP Prof. with SP3, not modified version.

2. I checked sure your sata controller driver, with sufix Fernado ;), and i used x86 drivers, cause this OS is x86 Win SP prof. in offered list of drivers, like you suggested in OP ;)!

So what you suggest me, to try maybe?

Tnx for your great work and support!

1. Yes, i used original Win XP Prof. with SP3, not modified version.

2. I checked sure your sata controller driver, with sufix Fernado ;), and i used x86 drivers, cause this OS is x86 Win SP prof. in offered list of drivers, like you suggested in OP ;)!

So what you suggest me, to try maybe?

Are you sure, that your SSD is connected to an Intel SATA port?

If yes, you may switch the SATA port for your SSD (best choice: Port0).

Yes, it's connected to Intel's SATA port, port 1, there is 6 sata ports, SSD is connected to 1st SATA port 1, previously on that port was my SATA HDD 1TB, and BIOS detects my SSD, and then i set SATA as AHCI mode in BIOS, try to install Win XP Prof. SP3 x86 with your drivers integrate in this XP installation, but at all sata drivers doesn't load XP installation, and at the end i get BSOD - blue scree with message like "run chkdsk, etc." , standard message when installation doesn't detect SATA HDD or in this case SSD SATA S3 :) , this SSD Vertex 3 is SATA3, and on my MB are SATA 2 ports, but at all it works, cause BIOS detects SSD SATA Vertex S3.

@ sucro:

Are you sure, that the OCZ SSD works and is bootable? Where did you get it resp. where did you use it before?

If you have or can get any Live CD like Ultimate Boot CD, Parted Magic or Ubuntu, boot off it and check the SSD.

My friend, it works 100%, it's new Vertex 3 S3, just arrived at me from OCZ, unused, and i installed on it Win XP prof. SP3, but have to set in BIOS SATA as IDE, to be able install Win XP prof. SP3 on ti, cause SATA AHCI drivers didn't want to install at installation process of Win XP prof. SP3

So, it works 100%, and it's bootable, i run now Win XP prof. SP3 x86 on it, but with SATA as IDE mode in BIOS. It wasn't used anywhere, before 5-7 days i installed it in my Desktop machine, on my MB Asus P5Q SE2 with P45+ICH10 chipset.

I have OCZ toolbox for OCZ SSDs tools, and it recognizes my new Vertex S3 Sata 3, cause i had to align parition before installing Win XP, cause XP doesn't have built-in tool like Win7 for align parititon.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?105168-NEW!!-OCZ-Bootable-Toolbox-PC-Edition-%28REBUILD%29&p=756554&viewfull=1#post756554

Partition created and aligned, installed Win XP prof. SP3 x86, but only in SATA as IDE, in SATA as AHCI, with your drivers installation didn't install SATA AHCI drivers for ICH10 :( ...

@Fernando1

In my RAID utility (ctrl-i) (ill have to try and take a pic of it later) It shows my volume (Volume0) created, and under the column of "BOOTABLE" it is set to "YES"

Below that shows the two drives both show as "Member-disk"

The RAID Driver pack I got was on PAGE 1 of this topic. It was in a 7Z format and I extracted it to my SD card. So when I use nLite, I find it in the SD drive, and it shows the two .INF files.

When the popup for the drivers (textmode option selected) comes up I can see two (2) .INF files 1)iaAHCI 2)iaStorA

It doesn't matter which one I choose both show the same four (4) options:

1) Intel C600 Series SAS (SATA something) Controller

2) Intel C600 Series SAS Controller

3) Intel C600 Series SATA AHCI Controller

4) Intel C600 Series SATA RAID Controller

I only choose option 4 to Integrate into the CD. And I have tried both (from iaStorA and iaAHCI) to no avail.

I have not modified that driverpack in anyway other than extracting it. Wouldn't know how anyways. ;)

I will try to delete and create the RAID1 array again. Would it be fine to change the name of the volume? Reason I ask is, I have tried a few times deleting and creating RAID array with various sizes thinking it was WIN XP that couldn't read a large drive? So rather than the DEFAULT: Volume0 change it to say Volume8? I have also tried creating multiple volumes.

Thank you fernando! Your help is very much appreciated!!!

@ sucro:

Thanks for your answering my questions.

At least I have no idea what may cause your problems while trying to install Windows XP.

The error message indicates a hardware problem.

Are you sure, that your system has an Intel ICH10 SATA Controller?

Since you actually are running XP in IDE mode, please open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager and look for the HardwareIDs of the listed Controllers (right click onto them > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs")..

@ raistlin888:

Thanks for your detailed report.

Just to exclude, that the composition of the RSTe driverpacks (including SAS drivers etc,) are responsable for your issues, I give you links to 2 alternative 64bit Intel RAID drivers, which I have modified to make the integration easier and safer.

Here are the packages:

>64bit Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando for XP x64<< (compatible with nearly all Intel AHCI and RAID systems incl. X79)

>64bit Intel RSTe drivers v3.6.0.1086 mod by Fernando for XP x64< (only usable with X79 chipsets)

I recommend to start the nLite processing with the first driver. If you should not succeed, you can try the second one.

Just integrate the listed "Intel® C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller".

Important: You have to start each time from scratch by copying the original XP x64 source into a processing folder. Don't load any nLite preset (Last_Session.ini).

I will try to delete and create the RAID1 array again.
That is a good idea.
Would it be fine to change the name of the volume?
You can name it as you like (e.g. "RAID1")
I have also tried creating multiple volumes.
I wouldn't do that. It is better to partition the RAID1 array. You can do that while installing Windows XP x64 or from within the installed OS by using the Disk Management.

Good luck!

Fernando

@ sucro:

Thanks for your answering my questions.

At least I have no idea what may cause your problems while trying to install Windows XP.

The error message indicates a hardware problem.

Are you sure, that your system has an Intel ICH10 SATA Controller?

Since you actually are running XP in IDE mode, please open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager and look for the HardwareIDs of the listed Controllers (right click onto them > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs")..

You are welcome, and thank you for your good will to help all of us! For me strange too :), cause i know that some people solved their problem for ICH10 SATA AHCI drivers with your moded drivers :)!

Yes my friend, i know that BSOD is related to hardware problem, but here isn't realt that case, and BSOD is sometimes related too for bad drivers or not compatible, i know this from past...

Yes, 100% on this MB is ICH10 Sata controller, check bellow specification of my MB, you'll see there is P45+ICH10 chipset,

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q_SE2/#specifications

and for sure on device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section is ICH10 ;) , i checked it before, and i'll send you hardware IDs if you need them?

At the end i'll try loading your moded driver by floppy :) and F6 option at starting installation of Win XP prof. SP3, recen floppy doesn't work at my machine, i'll try to find some another floppy and to check your drivers, hope will make them to work at the end, cause with SATA AHCI i can use on better way my OCZ Vertex 3 S3 SSD.

Once big tnx for your great support!

@ Fernando 1

I DUNNO IF IT WAS YOUR MODDED DRIVERS OR WHAT I DID BUT IT WORKED!!!

What I did:

Turned OFF the EPU switch (Reason: Between the time it said "Setup is starting Windows", I noticed it took a while for it to actually start looking for a drive. Which during that time the HDD's sounded like they SPUN DOWN/Turned off)

Deleted the RAID array.

Created a NEW raid array and named it RAID1

Ensured RAID Volume was first boot Priority.

Deleted "Slipstreamed" Folder on desktop

Ran nLite using your modded Textmode driver.

At that point after i burned the new Slipstreamed XP boot CD, ran it on the machine, and when it said "Setup is starting Windows", instead of the long wait, it IMMEDIATELY went to the "Press F8 to Agree" screen!!!!

So, like I said, I don't know if it was your drivers that did the trick or the combination of that and the EPU switch,

Either way....

I GOT IT INSTALLED!!! Wish I had done this 5 weeks ago!!!

AWESOME!!!

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! :)

I DUNNO IF IT WAS YOUR MODDED DRIVERS OR WHAT I DID BUT IT WORKED!!!
It is fine,that you succeeded at least and that I was able to help you.
Which one did you integrate at least?
AWESOME!!!

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! :)

You are welcome!

It was this one: >64bit Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando for XP x64<< (compatible with nearly all Intel AHCI and RAID systems incl. X79)

I am thinking it had to be your driver, cause it worked instantly, all the other drivers made Windows sit for a while thinking about it.

AWESOME WORK MY FRIEND!!!

Cheers!!!

It was this one: >64bit Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando for XP x64<< (compatible with nearly all Intel AHCI and RAID systems incl. X79)

I am thinking it had to be your driver, cause it worked instantly, all the other drivers made Windows sit for a while thinking about it.

Thanks for the clarification.

As a consequence of your experience I will update the start post of this thread regarding the XP x64 AHCI/RAID driver recommendation for X79 chipsets.

Regards

Fernando