Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

OK, I didn't think to do a F8 start and a No Restart on Error. Set that and what do you know, the same 0F8 stop error. IT IS NOT LOADING THE SATA DRIVERS! Still loading the nVidia drivers! It won't Stop. I cannot get to the point of doing a hardware scan. Why can't you just change the loaded drivers somewhere and make this simple!

Going on the the Upgrade Install

@ e4services:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

Although I have read your 2 messages very carefully, I didn't really understand them.

What exactly do you want to do?

What has the NVIDIA nForce SATA driver named NVGTS.SYS to do with this topic, which is only valid for Intel SATA drivers?

This thread has not been designed for a transfer of a running XP partition from an nForce to an Intel chipset system.

What you should do is a fresh install of Windows XP onto your H67 Dell system by following my guide, which is layed down within the first post of this thread.

You should start the creation of the customized XP CD by copying the content of the original (=untouched) XP CD. Do not use any previously nLited XP CD as source.

Regards

Fernando

OK, Done.

I actually got my old XP Install moved over to my new i7 Intel H67 motherboard.

Yes, it took an "In-place Upgrade" to get it to work, BUT....... Was just simple.

When you run an Upgrade Install using the created XP SP3 disk from Windows XP running on your old hardware (I cleaned my install first, Malware scan, deleted drivers etc.) it does reset everything and reboot the machine and you turn it off. I Moved the drive to the same SATA Port 0 on the new machine and the DVD on Port 1 holding the Win CD.

Works fine until it gets to booting up the OS for the first time, for it wants to re-activate the OS. YOU HAVE TO SAY YES TO CONTINUE, you have no choice.

What happened to me, and google reports others with the same issue, the activation process doesn't show up and neither does explorer.exe, A.K.A the desktop. All you have is the mouse cursor and the default desktop background.

The answer was that you ARE allowed to reboot, F8, into the Command Prompt (nothing else is allowed, not Safe Mode). From the cmd window you can now run explorer.exe and bingo, your in.

From here I was told to remove Internet Explorer, Reinstall the last IE8 plus the security update, make a OOBE deletion in the registry and to delete the wdr files to force activation. WHile this worked, it would not activate for I am pretty sure the activation server for XP is long gone.

I decided to just use a Activation tool instead to remove the activation. That worked and the system booted correctly the next time.

Just had to figure out the rest of the drivers, note: the on chip graphics and sound support I just left, not needed, and I figure the drivers are not available anyway.

The one that is left behind by the Intel Slipstreamed drivers in the Intel Management Engine Interface, HECI.ini/sys. I pointed the Unknown device (Ven-8086) to the subdirector and it installs the drive, but the interface doesn't work, fails to load, after reboot, but the sys driver loads so everything is fine.

@ e4services:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

Although I have read your 2 messages very carefully, I didn't really understand them.

What exactly do you want to do?

What has the NVIDIA nForce SATA driver named NVGTS.SYS to do with this topic, which is only valid for Intel SATA drivers?

This thread has not been designed for a transfer of a running XP partition from an nForce to an Intel chipset system.

What you should do is a fresh install of Windows XP onto your H67 Dell system by following my guide, which is layed down within the first post of this thread.

You should start the creation of the customized XP CD by copying the content of the original (=untouched) XP CD. Do not use any previously nLited XP CD as source.

Regards

Fernando

I need to move my old XP Pro install over to work on my new i7, different chipset and all, and is NEVER easy. I got software on it that runs only under XP, so I currently boot my Core2Duo off 2 hard drives, everyday in Windows 7 on and SSD and on the occasions I need to use the XP, I boot of the other drive. Bad thing was my old system is NVidia Chipset and the drivers just keep loading no matter what you do.

I got it with the Upgrade Install, though you still see the NVidia drivers load in as Safe Mode rolls the drivers by, even though there is no NVidia anymore. Nothing cleaned that out. But it runs.

I just wanted to post my experience for the next guy, since this forum is where I ended up, learning how to build an XP CD with the drivers incorporated, THANKS MUCH to you! And spelling it out for me, though I did have to find a 'clean' CD, using my original Microsoft hologramed SP0 CD and just slipping in SP3

THanks again

Edited by e4services

@ e4services:

Thank you for your detailed report about what you have done to get XP running on your new Intel system, but I still do not see any relationship to the topic of this thread.

Why haven't you done a fresh XP installation?

Hello Fernando,

i tried your moded SATA AHCI drivers for ICH10 chipset (without R ICH10) from OP, on my Asus MB P5Q SE2,

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q_SE2/#specifications

1. BIOS UPDATED to latest

2. Your ICH10 drivers integrated in Win XP SP3 installation

3. SATA as AHCI selected in BIOS, at storage configuration

When i boot new Win XP Pro SP3 CD with integrated ICH10 SATA AHCI x86 drivers, it doesn't detect my OCZ SSD Vertex Agility S3, at the end of loading drivers, where XP PRO SP3 x86 installation comes to part "Windows start up", when loading of drivers is finished, suddenly comes BSOD - blue screen of dead, with message like run chkdsk or format commands, etc. , it doesn't detect my SSD connected to SATA 1 port with SATA AHCI mode selected in BIOS, if i use SATA as IDE mode, it detects correctly my SSD and Win XP SP3 installation continue normally...

I tried instead using integrated driver on Win XP SP3 x86 CD, with F6 option and loading drivers from Floppy disk, but it seems my floppy is died, and didn't suceed to load drivers...

What can be in my case, these your ICH10 (by fernando) SATA AHCI drivers aren't ok for my Asus Mobo with Intel P45/ICH10 chipset or maybe there is some another thing i have to check or set in BIOS? Or maybe to try install your SATA AHCI ICH10 drivers, after installing OS Win XP SP3 X86 in SATA IDE mode, something like described bellow for laptops?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/186471-enabling-sata-mode-ahci-after-xp-install-applicable-most-laptops-systems.html

Please if you have some suggestion, post it here?

Thanks!

Edited by sucro

@ sucro:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

When i boot new Win XP Pro SP3 CD with integrated ICH10 SATA AHCI x86 drivers, it doesn't detect my OCZ SSD Vertex Agility S3, at the end of loading drivers, where XP PRO SP3 x86 installation comes to part "Windows start up", when loading of drivers is finished, suddenly comes BSOD - blue screen of dead,
Questions:

1. Did you use an original (= untouched) XP CD as source?

2. Which SATA Controller did you check, when nLite was doing its textmode driver integration work?

Regards

Fernando

Question!

Does your modded pack support ESB2 AHCI?, if not, can I add it along your pack (so it covers a wider array of hardware)?

Edited by Dogway

Ok, so I install the b and e packs together without issues right?
No, that wouldn't work. You should not install/integrate more than 1 Intel AHCI driverpack.

I would take the "newest" version 8.9.8.1005 mod.

Hi Fernando or anyone who is reading this (any help would be much appreciated),

I was just reading thru a few of these posts, and I apologize if you have already posted something about it, but there is a lot of material here.

I am trying to integrate drivers into Windows XP Pro 64-bit to install on a new build (no floppy) using RAID1. I have changed the SATA configuration to RAID, and have created my Volume and the disks show they are bootable. My motherboard is a ASUS P9X79 PRO. I have found the drivers on the mobo CD (XP_64bit folder on the CD) (Intel C600) The mobo manual states XP 64bit can install onto RAID.

Now with the install. As the setup files load up, I see the driver loaded for the Intel C600 Raid controller installed, which lead me to believe that it is in there now. however, it gets to the point where it is says "Examining Disk..." After a few moments the next message comes up, "Examining xxxxxxxxx MB Disk 0 at ID 1 on bus 6 on iaStorA..."

(xxxxxxxxx = the number in MB's. I don't remember the exact numbers)

After that sequence it proceeds to tell me "No hard drives are installed on the computer. Please ensure cables are..."

I am confused. How is it it was reading the disk, telling me what size it is amongst other things then tell me there isn't one installed?

Ive been at this for the last 4-5weeks. Ive done online support chat with ASUS with no avail. Ive used both iaAHCI and iaStorA .inf files using RAID and AHCI controllers individually as well as put both on the same CD. Tried different SATA configurations switching from AHCI and RAID. Tried different capacity RAID volumes. Tried the updated SATA drivers for Win XP 64bit from ASUS' website. All stop at the same point: No hard disks installed.

Are the drivers not loading?

I did remember reading something about making the drives First Boot Priority, as well have the Marvell 6Gbs ports as well but I haven't tried that yet.

System:

Asus P9X79 Pro

i7-3820

16GB Corsair Vengence

2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda

GeForce 610 2GB

Again, ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.

Also, from what I have read at Microsoft' site, Service Pack 2 is the highest and only Service pack available for Win XP Pro 64bit.

Just reading a post Fernando posted on about v.12.x.x.xxxx and how RAID is not supported yet. My question to Fernando is, the link on PAGE 1, will that version SUPPORT RAID? (I haven't tried slipstreaming the version on page 1 yet either)

Edited by raistlin888

@ raistlin888:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

Now to your problem:

1. Please read the start post of this thread carefully and follow my guide and advices.

2. Don't integrate more than 1 single textmode driver.

3. When you get the Textmode Driver integration Popup, choose just the correct Intel SATA Controller of your system (i's the "Intel® Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller") and nothing else!

4. Before you are going to install Windows XP x64 onto your Intel RAID array, you should enter the BIOS, go to the "BOOT" section and make sure, that the Intel RAID array has been set on the first position of the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings.

Just reading a post Fernando posted on about v.12.x.x.xxxx and how RAID is not supported yet.
You haven't read that. What I had written was, that the newest inofficial Intel RST(e) RAID driver v12.5.0.1066 obviously do not support the TRIM in RAID feature, which is only valid for a RAID array with 2 or more SSDs as members and an Operating System Win7 or later, which is able to send the TRIM command to the SSDs. You have neither 2 SSDs nor are you going to install Win7 or Win8.
My question to Fernando is, the link on PAGE 1, will that version SUPPORT RAID?
All Intel RST and RSTe drivers definitively do support RAID (even the RST(e) drivers v12.5.0.1066).

Regards

Fernando

Now to your problem:

1. Please read the start post of this thread carefully and follow my guide and advices.

First off, thanks Fernando for the quick reply.

So I have followed all the (applicable XP 64bit) instructions on Page 1. I have integrated only 1 textmode driver which is the, iaStorA>Intel C600 Series SATA RAID Controller. I then proceeded into the BIOS and found my RAID array (Intel Volume0) and made it FIRST BOOT PRIORITY, saved and exited the BIOS.

And now into the install...

It gets as far as "Examining 906128 MB Disk 0 at ID 1 on iaStorA..."

And same result, "Setup could not find any hard disks installed in your computer..."

I then tried moving the CD ROM to the Marvell port, but all I get is the BSOD when setup is starting Windows.

I then tried to attempt to integrate iaAHCI>Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller

Unfortuantely the same result.

I don't know what I am missing, there was a post from a person on Page 65 with roughly the same board with an nicer processor 64GB RAM and was able to install XP 64bit SP2 with AHCI. I would assume installing with RAID would be not much different other than creating an array.

Is there anything else you can think of?

Thank you very much.

Edited by raistlin888

And now into the install...

It gets as far as "Examining 906128 MB Disk 0 at ID 1 on iaStorA..."

And same result, "Setup could not find any hard disks installed in your computer..."

There obviously is something wrong regarding your RAID configuration.

Questions:

1. What does the Intel RAID ROM Utility show, when you hit Ctrl+I while booting (if possible, take a screenshot)?
  2. Which Intel RAID driverpack did you integrate?
  3. Did you change anything regarding the content of the driverpack (has to contain the file txtsetup.oem and all original INF, CAT and SYS files)?

I then tried to attempt to integrate iaAHCI>Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller

Unfortuantely the same result.

How did you manage it to integrate iaAHCI>Intel C600 Series Chipset SATA RAID Controller? That is not only absolutely wrong, but seems impossible for me, because the information file named iaAHCI.inf doesn't support any RAID Controller.
Is there anything else you can think of?
I suspect, that your RAID1 array either has not been properly created or not properly been deleted.

Important: After having created a RAID array (=conjunction of 2 or more hard drives to 1 RAID drive), you are not able to switch to any other SATA mode (IDE or AHCI) unless you had deleted the RAID array before by joining the RAID ROM Utility (Ctrl+I) and hit the option "Delete Array".

If you want to get Windows XP installed in AHCI mode, you have to prepare a new nLited XP CD by integrating the same driverpack, but choosing just the "Intel® C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller", when you get the textmode popup window.

My advice:

1. Run the RAID ROM Utility and delete the existing RAID1 array.

2. After having done that you can decide

1. either to recreate the RAID1 array and to retry the XP installation with your already prepared XP CD
  2. or to enter the BIOS > set the Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI" mode > save > unplug one of the HDDs (connected with the higher port number) > restart > reenter the BIOS > make sure, that the still connected HDD is listed as bootable HDD > boot off the prepared nLited XP CD with integrated AHCI Controller.

Edited by Fernando 1