Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ alexesis:

Thanks for the HardwareIDs of the SATA Controller, which verify, that you have an Intel ICH7R SATA Controller, which is running in IDE mode. Intel's name for it is "Intel® N10/ICH7 Family Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0".

Provided that there are no entries within the "Storage Controllers" resp. "SCSI and RAID Controllers" sections of the Device Manager, there is no need for the integration of any third party SATA (AHCI/RAID) driver. You should be able to get Windows XP installed onto your Dell system by simply booting off the original XP CD with integrated SP2 or SP3.

I actually downloaded the CD from internet. I do have the serial # but do not have the original CD. The desktop was bought from my company with the original HDD destroyed. So even the hidden partition is not available. So you are saying the the copy I downloaded will not work?

I actually downloaded the CD from internet.
From where? Which sort of XP image (OEM/Retail/VL) is it? Has it been customized or is it an untouched original ISO file you downloaded?
So you are saying the the copy I downloaded will not work?
No, I didn't say that, but if you should not been able to get XP installed by booting off the untouched XP CD (without integrating any driver), you are right.

I actually downloaded the CD from internet.
From where? Which sort of XP image (OEM/Retail/VL) is it? Has it been customized or is it an untouched original ISO file you downloaded?
So you are saying the the copy I downloaded will not work?
No, I didn't say that, but if you should not been able to get XP installed by booting off the untouched XP CD (without integrating any driver), you are right.

Well, they say it's made from original CD. However I am not sure how to verify if it's true. What did work was Win 7 install but unfortunatelly the PC is too slow with it. Thank you for your help. I will look around and figure out something...

Thank you!

Jiri

Even if "Original", the point remains WHICH version? You're referring to the COA Key "Sticker" when you speak of "serial #" I "assume"? An OEM PC (what you bought) should have that on it. To "hack" that properly to work will require some other resources not available on MSFN (a big no-no). There ARE threads on the subject on MSFN -and- information on the WWW provided you search hard enough.

Hints (re - your "CD") - posts #25, #28, #32 (ignore "dross")

As Fernando1 said, if it won't work with the Drivers integrated, it's perhaps not a "clean" "CD" and has some additional mods in it. I believe he ALSO said that you NEED to ensure that it has SP2/SP3 Integrated and Driver Integration would be unnecessary. :unsure: I believe that's IF you don't have SATA controller listed (which you DO have listed).

Now, going BACK to the Post #1 of this topic

Important:

a ) Make sure, that the "Textmode driver" Mode is enabled.

Are you following the Instructions TO THE LETTER? You might ALSO note the explanation of AHCI/RAID (SATA) vs IDE (PATA) in the BIOS (if changeable).

Look here and pick your version of GX250. then look in "Advanced Features" (BIOS settings) - the SETUP portion indicates

Drive Controller - Configures the serial ATA controller's operating mode.

Normal enables the serial ATA controller to operate in its serial ATA native mode only.

Compatible enables the serial ATA controller to operate in serial/parallel ATA combination mode.

SATA Operation - Configures the operation mode of the integrated hard-drive controller.

Normal — The hard-drive controller is configured for native mode. This mode provides the highest drive performance and most flexibility.

Combination — The hard-drive controller is configured for combination mode. This mode enables compatibility with some older operating systems that do not support SATA drives.

The factory default setting is Normal.

NOTE: Changing this setting affects the order in which drives are listed. However, system setup does not reflect these changes until after a reboot.

If you are running any Windows OS with your Dell GX520, please open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable
What did work was Win 7 install
So this is (apparently) how you obtained the VEN_DEV info. Now, go BACK (again) to Post#1 and select the CORRECT DriverSet - and notice that Dell has a slew of Drivers listed here -

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/optiplex-gx520

Finally, you're touching on a subject (the "no-no") that violates MSFN rules ("downloaded"). We CANNOT confirm/deny your "CD" accordingly. Be forewarned!

I did a thread search and saw a post indicating the nm10 doesn't have acpi drivers available for windows xp?

Google certianly did tell me they are difficult to downgrade ;) I've decided to just format the drive and switch it over to ide mode from acpi for now.

@ Mikjames:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

I'm on an emachines netbook (em350) with an nm10 chipset and i'm not quite sure which driver to use? My plan is to downgrade from windows 7 to xp.
What you need is a legal XP CD key and an original (= untouched) XP CD with integrated SP2 or - better - SP3.

Furthermore you should know the SATA Controller of your netbook to get and integrate the appropriate textmode driver.

Please open the Win7 Device Manager and look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - into the "Storage Controllers" sections. Which SATA Controller names do you see there?

Regards

Fernando

Hi Fernando,

1st Thank You!

You are so awesome, to share your knowledge, and drivers (with clear instructions) with others!

I have a Genuine XP Pro CD with pre-installed SP-2, but it was modified (by my Ex..) so not to require

Activation when installing. It works, I can verify that fact.

But,I do not have my "original" CD, since he took it with him when we split-up.

Anyways, following your excellent instructions, using your ICH8M package, all went well.

But, after I "Press any key to run Setup from CD" it goes to a screen to Select OS?

Of course the only option there is the pre-existing Vista.

I am sure it has something to do with the Boot file, which is in brackets [ ] and the very

first file from extracted iso.

Do you know what I did wrong, or need to do? I hope so.

Hugs from Vegas, Patti

@ ojisplayin:

Hello Patti,

welcome at MSFN Forum!

I have a Genuine XP Pro CD with pre-installed SP-2, but it was modified (by my Ex..) so not to require Activation when installing.
This smells to be illegal. If you should use a VL version of Windows XP, you cannot expect any support here.

You should be owner of a Windows XP license with a valid unique Retail or OEM CD key.

Greetings to Vegas

Fernando

I have the original CD "oem" Cover, Paperwork, including the CD (XP) Key to activate it. But, he (the ex) switched my

original CD with the one he had modified. Is there any way I can, ummmmm, UN-MODIFY his changes back to being

original with the usual activation required, etc?

I am not trying to do anything illegal. I can post a pic of the case, and/or upload the contents of the Extracted iso files.

Actually what I am trying to do is fix my little sisters Toshiba Laptop which has Vista. I've tried countless times to do a Factory

Recovery to original, but the application is not on a (say, D) Drive, but on 2 CD's, and it fails on CD #2 each time.

Cannot upgrade, because it also fails. So I thought I could try going backwards (XP) but that was before I discovered

my stupid Ex boyfriend took my original XP CD, along with his stuff last year.

If you feel this is in any way, not legit to do, no worries. :)

Thanks for your time anyways.

Take care, Patti

I have the original CD "oem" Cover, Paperwork, including the CD (XP) Key to activate it. But, he (the ex) switched my original CD with the one he had modified. Is there any way I can, ummmmm, UN-MODIFY his changes back to being original with the usual activation required, etc?
Not really.

What you may do is to borrow an original Retail XP CD with integrated SP3 from a friend or sister/brother, to use this CD as source for the nLite processing, but to enter your original individual XP license key while installing the OS.

Actually what I am trying to do is fix my little sisters Toshiba Laptop which has Vista. I've tried countless times to do a Factory

Recovery to original, but the application is not on a (say, D) Drive, but on 2 CD's, and it fails on CD #2 each time.

In addition, you could carefully clean the 2nd CD (DVD?) and try again.

Were the Recover "CD's" (DVD's) made from the running OS (see link #3)? Sometimes they are AND sometimes they are supplied.

Also, have you tried this for Vista Recovery (HIDDEN partition)?

1 - https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2737864&pf=true

And it says so right here the same thing -

2 - http://en.kioskea.net/faq/4811-toshiba-laptop-reset-to-factory-settings

There's also POTENTIALLY an F8 trick that may work (did on a Dell) -

3 - http://www.geekpolice.net/t18281-toshiba-recovery-partition-hotkey-instructions

A wealth of information about Recovery by Googling

toshiba laptop vista recovery dvd

FWIW, you MIGHT be able to get -1- the Internal Vista Key (not the COA key) and -2- a "special file" and -3- a legitimate download of THAT "Flavor" of Vista (Home, Premium, etc) and reinstall with that as a last resort. Sorry, I can't give links. -OR- see if a friend/neighbor has that flavor Vista Retail DVD. -NOTE- The COA key works with that FLAVOR Vista as well. Best to get it with SP2 Integrated, although (AFAIK) vLite would integrate SP2 for you.

Probably (been mentioned before somewhere). The poster needs also the Key and XRM-MS from the HDD and information on how-to, otherwise the COA Key would need used (not really a problem). I believe it's possible to do an "over-the-top" install as well. The RECOMMENDED way, however, is the Recovery Partition/DVD (with the "bloatware").

It's definitely a better way to go than using XP and destroying the current Install of Vista. Besides, that XP Key has already been used (AFAICT) on another PC. :unsure:

Would it be possible to separate these posts off to another Topic? With a cross-reference ThisTopic<->NewTopic to distinguish the problems?