Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Fernando, I'm new to this board and have spent half of my day reading your articles. I recently decided to go with an Asus P9X79 Deluxe MB and wasn't aware that I would be unable to install XP 32 bit in Raid 0 Intel. I use to use nLite and created a very beautiful XP SP32 in January of 2009, which worked great when I had my X58 MB. But as noted the with the new X79 chipset the F6 function doesn't work and Intel doesn't want to support XP 32 bit, but it looks like you have been able to provide a work around with your modded RST pack. I'm going to ask a really stupid question here, but I have to ask it despite what I know you have stated. I would like to use my original nLite XP SP3 5512, but obviously it was built way before the X79. Is there any possible way for me to add your modded pack and maybe strip out the old driver pack that no longer works from within the nLite ISO I have without re-creating it from scratch? I mean can I remove the unwanted from the image and replace with your pack and just place it back into an ISO? I don't think I can ever re-create what I did as it was done so long ago and many of the features no longer exist. Any GREAT advise would be helpful. I can be a test bed if necessary. Kindest Regards, Caleb..

Welcome to MSFN.

If you have used nLite, then the configuration is created/saved in Last Session.ini and Last Session_u.ini, which are found in the root of the CD, so you don't have to go through too much trouble. Otherwise, removing one thing and adding another to an already modified installation sounds like too much pain for something which is likely not to work.

At least that's my opinion.

Cheers

@ Caleb37:

As Sp0iLedBrAt already has written, you should forget your idea to modify your old nLited Windows XP SP3 image, which had been customized for being used with an Intel X58 chipset system. You will waste a lot of time and probably will get a dissappointing result.

Provided that you are the owner of an original (= untouched) Windows XP CD with a valid Retail or OEM CD key, I recommend to create a new XP SP3 CD with integrated 32bit Intel X79 RAID driver from scratch. Additionally you may integrate the newest Intel X79 chipset "drivers" (they are just INF files) for Windows XP. You can download this small INF "drivers" package just for your X79 chipset from >here<.

There is no need to integrate anything else. Once Windows XP is up, you can install the actual versions of the other missing drivers (maybe you have to download them from another computer, which has internet connection). The Windows XP Device Manager will show you the devices, which are missing by a yellow mark.

Regards

Fernando

I would like to thank the two posters above me for the insight. I do have an Original OEM with valid license. I realize I'm at a painful point considering what I baked into my original version and will not ever be able to re-create it. That's why I was asking the question. Drivers aside, would it be possible to modify the TXTSETUP.OEM file just for the X79 chipset to recognize the XP 32bit Install on my Raid setup? I know that would be a lot of work, but could be worth it to me. I hate the idea that I'm attempting to place a copy of XP on my system, but unfortunately I've discovered some incompatibilities with Audio software that I use on Windows 7 that there is just no replacement for. If it weren't for the lack of support by Intel on this board my original nLite would have work and I could correct the drivers and chipset after the install. It's just not being able to use the F6 during install that prevents me from doing this. Any further advise would be great and thank you guys so much for the quick response. Happy Thanksgiving!

would it be possible to modify the TXTSETUP.OEM file just for the X79 chipset to recognize the XP 32bit Install on my Raid setup?
No, because there is no TXTSETUP.OEM within your nLited XP CD.

All driver related details are layed down within the files named TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF. You may open them with the editor and change what you want, but don't expect any help from my side.

Good luck!

Fernando

I am sorry that this is such an elementary question, but I'm a bit stuck. I have an Asus P5K-E motherboard, and I want to integrate the RAID driver. The board has an ICH9R controller. I am installing XP Home.

I have slipstreamed SP3, and I skipped the hotfixes, as I am doing the slipstreaming on a different PC running a different version of windows. I have no problem with windows updating itself later.

I have got to the point where nlite asks 'Integrate Drivers for the Installation'. I have already downloaded the latest RAID driver from the Asus website, and extracted the 32 bit floppy data to a separate directory. nlite asks me for an inf file, and there are two there to choose from iaAHCI.inf and iaStor.inf. Which one do I choose?

NB: I have tried again with 'multiple drivers' option, and it did not ask me to choose. Is that the way to go?

Thanks

Welcome to MSFN.

nlite asks me for an inf file, and there are two there to choose from iaAHCI.inf and iaStor.inf. Which one do I choose?

Fernando, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that regardless of which you choose, both will be copied and the appropriate will be used if they are in the same folder. Please, wait for confirmation for this.

I have tried again with 'multiple drivers' option, and it did not ask me to choose. Is that the way to go?

No. You have to choose one of the two in textmode (TXT). Otherwise they will be integrated in PnP and you will get the notorious 0x7B error during setup when your HDD is not recognized.

Cheers

nlite asks me for an inf file, and there are two there to choose from iaAHCI.inf and iaStor.inf. Which one do I choose?

Fernando, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that regardless of which you choose, both will be copied and the appropriate will be used if they are in the same folder. Please, wait for confirmation for this.

This is absolutely correct.

Much more important than the choice of the correct INF file is the choice of the correct on-board Intel SATA AHCI/RAID Controller, when nLite shows the Textmode Driver Popup window.

Hey Fernando, I let a lot of what you said sink in and was able to pull most of my memory together to find my original nLite XP SP3 (Genuine by the way) together prior to the Driverpack installation. So at this point I have a clean XP 32bit SP3 that has been nLited and I'm preparing to add the drivers you provided. I'm going to run nLite and choose Drivers, which should give me the Driver Integration Option box for Storage Device Textmode Driver, which I then point to your folder '32bit Intel RST textmode drivers v10.5.2.1010 for X79' and I will choose the correct SATA/RAID driver from there. But then I noticed you also included the 'Intel_Chipset_Device_INF_Files_Set_v9.3.0.1020_WHQL_for_XP_Integration.rar' and suggested to Integrate the "drivers" by pointing to any of the various INF files within the folder. I'm confused between the 1st option and 2nd option. They are different versions and I thought the first one was specifically for the TEXTMODE single driver? So what do I do with the Intel Chip Device INF you provided? I had to ask. It might help you to know that I'm building a new system specifically for XP 32bit. I'm using an Asus P9X79 Deluxe MB with Intel 3970X. I will be using TWO Samsung SSD Pro 840 Series in a RAID 0, which is what presented the issue with me setting up new f6 Raid drivers as I am unable to load them from floppy during setup. This will be a dual boot with XP 32bit and Windows 7 64bit. I already have a Z77 Chipset that runs Windows 8.

So my bottom line question would be that I'm using your first option through TEXTMODE single driver, do I need to integrate the WHQL set and how would I do that part? Again, thank you for your understanding and patience. I haven't done this in several years and feel slightly lost with the new updates. The procedures haven't changed, much, just some of the methodology.

I'm going to run nLite and choose Drivers, which should give me the Driver Integration Option box for Storage Device Textmode Driver, which I then point to your folder '32bit Intel RST textmode drivers v10.5.2.1010 for X79' and I will choose the correct SATA/RAID driver from there.
You should not choose the correct driver (there is only 1 driver inside the package), but the correct SATA AHCI Controller of your X79 chipset..
But then I noticed you also included the 'Intel_Chipset_Device_INF_Files_Set_v9.3.0.1020_WHQL_for_XP_Integration.rar' and suggested to Integrate the "drivers" by pointing to any of the various INF files within the folder. I'm confused between the 1st option and 2nd option. They are different versions and I thought the first one was specifically for the TEXTMODE single driver?
The Intel Chipset Device INF files have nothing to do with the textmode driver, which is within the "32bit Intel TST textmode driver v10.5.2.1010".
So what do I do with the Intel Chip Device INF you provided?
Although there will probably no need to integrate them into the XP CD, I recommend to do it, because your X79 chipset will be rather unknown for the XP Setup. Just point to any of the INF files (doesn't matter which one) and all the INF files will be integrated. That has nothing to do with the single/multiple driver option.

@ jovigom:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

I have a motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 and I want to install Windows XP 32-bit.

I'd like to ask if it is possible to integrate the AHCI drivers on the installation CD.

It is not only possible,you have to integrate it, if your system drive is connected to an Intel SATA port, which has been set to "AHCI" mode.

Regards

Fernando

c. For users with an Intel X79 chipset AHCI/RAID system:

You mean the point c of the guide?

I understand that for Windows XP 32-bit can not be integrated in the installation CD.

The solution would be to install Windows XP 32-bit on IDE mode, once installed change BIOS to AHCI mode and install the driver RSTe. Is this OK?