Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ avelinocr:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

Questions:

1. Which Intel textmode driver (name and version) did you integrate?
  2. Which Controller did you enable, when you got the nlite textmode driver popup window?

Regards

Fernando

Hi, thanks for the fast answer!

1) I tried integratind different versions, wich include:

First I've tried the official one from this page on Intel Download Center, specifically the "f6flpy-x64_11.2.0.1006.zip" file, since my laptop is x64 based. But the strange thing about this is the fact that the "Detailed Description" section says this driver is for Intel desktop boards, maybe I got the wrong download?

Searching for 11.2.0.1006 on Intel Download Center also returned this other 2 pages:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21407&keyword=11.2.0.1006&DownloadType=Drivers〈=eng

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21730&keyword=11.2.0.1006&DownloadType=Drivers〈=eng

But them both seem to be for RAID, and mine is AHCI.

After that I found your article and tried the A and B options.

2) First I tried enabling only Series 6 AHCI controller, since that doesn't worked I've tried selecting all of them at the same time (is this a problem?) but don't got lucky.

I don't know if this may affect the process but i'm booting these integrated drivers Windows XP Setup's from a Flash Drive (to avoid burning lots of CD's)

Other thing that make me question if I'm doing something wrong is these two quotes:

Attention: Look into your mainboard manual, if your S-ATA hdd(s) are connected to any of the above mentioned Intel ICH7/ICH8/ICH9/ICH10/5-Series/6-Series SATA ports. If your mainboard has an other (legacy type) Intel SATA AHCI/RAID Controller, you should integrate the Intel AHCI/RAID driver you will find within your mainboard driver CD.

What exactly is a legacy type controller? I don't tried the one from driver CD, maybe this works...

When I get home I'm gonna try this ASAP.

After some further tests, I finally discovered the trick. Service Pack 3 is required to install Windows XP on a machine with P67 chipset (and probably H67 too, maybe even Z68).

I tested drivers 10.1.0.1008 without SP3 and got BSOD. Latest drivers (10.5.0.1027) with SP3 worked.

So if you want to install XP on a Sandy Bridge machine you'll need to integrate SP3 and the Intel drivers. Driver version is not important as soon as they are recent enough, and also is not necessary to "isolate" a specific one, you may integrate the full pack.

Again, the SP3 requirement is not mentioned anywhere in the Intel documentation.

I'm updating the previous post to reflect the conclusions.

This other post caught my attention since my controller is a series 6 one, but how i'm gonna integrate SP3 to a Windows XP x64, far as I know X64 edition only got a SP2.

Thanks for all.

@ avelinocr:

If you want to get Windows XP x64 SP2 installed onto the hdd of your laptop with an Intel 6-Series chipset, you should do the following:

1. Download the "64bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL" I have linked within the start post of this thread and unzip the package.
  2. Copy the content of your original Windows XP x64 SP2 CD into a separate folder (example: C:\XP x64) of your pc/laptop.
  3. Run nLite, don't load any presets of previousnLite processings and let nLite integrate just the prepared "64bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL".
  4. When you get the Textmode driver popup window, enable only the listed "Intel® Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller".
  5. Let nLite create the ISO file and burn a bootable CD of it or let nLite burn the bootable image directly.
  6. Make sure, that the SATA Controller of your laptop has been set to "AHCI" within the BIOS ("Setup").
  7. Boot off the freshly created Windows XP x64 XD with integrated AHCI driver.
  8. Have fun with the OS running in AHCI mode.

Good luck!

Fernando

@ avelinocr:

If you want to get Windows XP x64 SP2 installed onto the hdd of your laptop with an Intel 6-Series chipset, you should do the following:

1. Download the "64bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL" I have linked within the start post of this thread and unzip the package.
  2. Copy the content of your original Windows XP x64 SP2 CD into a separate folder (example: C:\XP x64) of your pc/laptop.
  3. Run nLite, don't load any presets of previousnLite processings and let nLite integrate just the prepared "64bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL".
  4. When you get the Textmode driver popup window, enable only the listed "Intel® Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller".
  5. Let nLite create the ISO file and burn a bootable CD of it or let nLite burn the bootable image directly.
  6. Make sure, that the SATA Controller of your laptop has been set to "AHCI" within the BIOS ("Setup").
  7. Boot off the freshly created Windows XP x64 XD with integrated AHCI driver.
  8. Have fun with the OS running in AHCI mode.

Good luck!

Fernando

Thanks buddy.

It worked fine.

I think that the problem is because I was using a software called FlashBoot to make the image created by nLite bootable by a Flash Drive.

The very same image generated by nLite that I used in Flash Drive and didn't worked, worked just fine when burned to a CD-R.

This is off-topic but inside Windows XP x64 i'm having a hard time installing drivers. I managed to install WLAN, AUDIO and USB drivers, but whenever I use these devices the system gets lagged and some times freezes. It seems like the drivers are installed fine but something that connect these devices to the main board are not working properly. For example my WLAN is kinda slow (the signal seems good but the speed is very bad).

Thanks anyway.

Edited by avelinocr

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone please confirm that WinXP SP3 32bit can be installed on HP ProBook 4540s (B6N81EA).

Chipset: Mobile Intel® HM76 Express

HDD: TOSHIBA 320 GB 7200 rpm SATA II

For more details check the link above.

In IDE mode the HDD works in Pio Mode only (no Ultra DMA whatsoever) and it's ultra slow as you can imagine.

In AHCI mode I'm getting BSOD during Windows Setup (in the very beginning).

I used the 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL.

I selected the correct controller Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller and I'm still getting BSOD.

So in conclusion, I can't install Windows in AHCI mode. In IDE mode (from BIOS) the hard disk works in Pio Mode and it's ultra slow.

Can someone help me, please!

P.S.: here is the BSOD:

Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers...

0x0000007B ( 0xB9CCF524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, )

Edited by rado354

Rado, have you tried installing from a USB stick instead of the DVD drive?

I ask because on my system if I try to install XP x64 from the SATA attached DVD drive I always get a BSOD, I have to use a PATA IDE attached drive.

Rado, have you tried installing from a USB stick instead of the DVD drive?

Not yet.

I ask because on my system if I try to install XP x64 from the SATA attached DVD drive I always get a BSOD, I have to use a PATA IDE attached drive.

This is interesting. So my BSOD might not be related to incorrect SATA driver integration but something else.

I have USB 2.0 stick, now I have to read how to make WinXP SP3 32bit boot from it.

Great suggestion by the way, Kurt_Aust! And so weird at the same time :)

Edited by rado354

Problem solved! Some older SATA drivers downloaded from HP's website work. Intel RST v11.1.0.1006 to be precise.

The HDD works in AHCI mode now and everything is pretty fast.

Fixing problems when the HDD is working slow is such a PITA. You have no idea :)

Now it's time to enjoy my new notebook and further tweak my nLited WinXP ;)

Can someone please confirm that WinXP SP3 32bit can be installed on HP ProBook 4540s (B6N81EA).

Chipset: Mobile Intel® HM76 Express

HDD: TOSHIBA 320 GB 7200 rpm SATA II

I used the 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL.

I selected the correct controller Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller and I'm still getting BSOD.

Are you really sure, that this is the correct SATA AHCI Controller for your laptop?

Which are the HardwareIDs of your Intel SATA AHCI Controller (open the Device Manager > right click onto the Controller > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's")?

Are you really sure, that this is the correct SATA AHCI Controller for your laptop?

Which are the HardwareIDs of your Intel SATA AHCI Controller (open the Device Manager > right click onto the Controller > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's")?

I'm not sure. But I saw the "7 Series/C216" part somewhere while testing different things in WinXP / Win 7 using software like Aida64, Speccy, Task Manager, etc.

Here are the Hardware IDs:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&SUBSYS_17F6103C&REV_04

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&SUBSYS_17F6103C

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&CC_010601

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&CC_0106

First time I tried to install WinXP in AHCI mode, I integrated only the "7 Series/C216" drivers (latest version from your first post). BSOD, no luck.

The second time I tried to install WinXP in AHCI mode, I integrated the "7 Series", "7 Series/C216", etc. drivers (this older version from HP's website). And it worked fine.

So maybe I have to integrate the "7 Series" drivers and not the "7 Series/C216"? Maybe that was the problem? And maybe the driver's version has nothing to do with it? Can you tell this from the Hardware IDs above? Either way I will try it with the latest drivers when I have time.

@ rado354:

Thanks for your response.

Here are the Hardware IDs:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&CC_0106

As I already have expected, these are the HardwareIDs of the "Intel® 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" and not of the "Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller".

Here is an excerpt of the iaAHCI.inf file, which is part of all actual Intel RST driverpacks::

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"

So this is the confirmation, that your BSODs were caused by having highlighted the wrong AHCI Controller during the driver integration procedure.

So maybe I have to integrate the "7 Series" drivers and not the "7 Series/C216"? Maybe that was the problem? And maybe the driver's version has nothing to do with it? Can you tell this from the Hardware IDs above?
My answer is 4x "Yes!"

Regards

Fernando

Thank you very much, Fernando! :)

Do you think the latest version of the SATA drivers will improve the performance or I better stay with the version available for download on HP's website?

OLDER: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=5229455&prodNameId=5229457&swEnvOID=1093&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-105300-1

NEWER: http://win-lite.de/benutzer/fernando/Intel/Rapid%20Storage%20Technology/32bit%20Intel%20RST%20AHCI%20&%20RAID%20driver%20v11.2.0.1006%20WHQL.7z

Most probably I won't notice any difference... right? :D

Edited by rado354

Since you have an up-to-date system, I would prefer the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL.
Most probably I won't notice any difference... right? :D
That is possible, but the performance is not the only criterion for the valuation of a SATA driver. Another important quality attribute is the stability of the storage system. Newer drivers are not always better, but generally they have less bugs than the older ones. Edited by Fernando 1

I tested with Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 and it works (now that I know the correct SATA controller :) )

PERFORMANCE TEST:

v11.2.0.1006

screenshot00001l.th.jpg screenshot00002nr.th.jpg screenshot00003z.th.jpg screenshot00004g.th.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After that I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver v11.1.0.1006. The installer from HP includes this software application. I don't know if it improves performance or it's just an informational tool.

screenshot00010vn.th.jpg screenshot00012eg.th.jpg screenshot00013ar.th.jpg screenshot00014m.th.jpg

I did every test two times and restarted the computer after every single try in order to make it as reliable as possible.

HD Tune Pro test >> Restart >> HD Tune Pro test again >> Restart >> CrystalDiskMark test >> Restart >> CrystalDiskMark test again

So either the older driver is better or this software application is a must! I was unable to find v11.2.0.1006 installer that includes this application.

So either the older driver is better or this software application is a must! I was unable to find v11.2.0.1006 installer that includes this application.
You can find a download link to the complete RST driver and software package v11.2.0.1006 WHQL on the buttom of my guide (= start post of this thread). After having downloaded and unzipped the package just run the installer (SETUP.EXE).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I`m trying to install windows on my parents desktop:

GA-8I915P Duo (rev. 1.x)

Intel 915P and ICH6

I have one SATA HDD connected. BIOS of this PC sets Sata Ports to Ch.1 Master/Slave. I think it means that BIOS (kind of) emulates SATA to IDE Channels.

I`ve tried many windows xp install CD with SATA drivers integrated, but I always get black screen after detecting configuration. I`ve also tried "32bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v8.9.8.1005 mod by Fernando".

This BIOS dont have option to change SATA mode. I can only disable SATA controller (and my HDD will not be deteced).

Have any idea whats going on in here? I`m quite advanced PC user but have no idea what to do know.

One more thing: Windows 7 installs just fine...

Edited by daarth