Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Alright, so I have managed to successfully install Windows XP 64 bit, onto my hard drive. Now I am having a issue with my Windows 7 OS (keyboard and mouse not working at logon screen), so I have been using the Windows XP for a while.

Anyways, earlier today my external hard drive got the "click of death", so I took it out of its box, to make it an "internal" disk, to see if it helped with the constant clicking. But to do this, I had to install the Marvell SATA drivers, so I did. (for best speed rate)

After rebooting, I got the Windows XP loading screen, but then it just turns black.. Nothing there, no mouse cursor, no nothing. I have been reading a lot around the web, but did not find a solution as of now... So, to my "main" problem, if you don't have any solutions for the XP and Win7 issues.

I had some problems with 64-bit version of Windows XP, so I decided to just wipe the Windows XP 64-bit HDD, and install Windows XP 32-bit on it. BUT! Whenever I slipstream the drivers (32bit ofc), onto an OEM version of Windows XP 32 bit (SP3 integrated), I get the 07b BSOD again. And I am 100% sure that it is an UNTOUCHED Windows XP 32-bit SP3 OEM DVD, because its downloaded from Microsofts MSDN page.

You have any idea why it's constantly giving me this BSOD, even with the drivers slipstreamed? I tried doing exactly as I did with the Windows XP 64-bit installation that worked, but no luck... Also tried switching the SATA ports a couple of times, but still doesn't work.

Thank you for your time and patience, and hope that you can help me once again!

EDIT: I got into my old Windows XP 64-bit OS, by removing the clicking hard drive, and booting into safe mode. So I'm only curious to why the 32-bit OEM installation is giving me BSOD; even though I have slipstreamed the 32-bit SATA drivers for Intel chipset.

Edited by eROM

Forget the pendrive. Burn a CD and install from it.

It is only to say two things: I do not give up, I'll keep trying, after all I must be missing something... and also that I am very grateful to everyone in the forum.

A hug, anything new I will not fail to mention here.

You have any idea why it's constantly giving me this BSOD, even with the drivers slipstreamed? I tried doing exactly as I did with the Windows XP 64-bit installation that worked, but no luck...
If you have integrated the same AHCI driver version as 32bit model, which had worked with XP x64, the BSOD has been caused by something else.

What about your RAM sticks? Did you already check them with MemTest? If you have more than 1 RAM stick, have you tried to remove all other RAM sticks before you began with the OS installation?

What about your PSU? Is it good and strong enough for your system?

What about Overclocking? An OS installation should always been done with the default BIOS settings regarding the CPU clock/voltage and Memory timings/voltage.

It is only to say two things: I do not give up, I'll keep trying, after all I must be missing something... and also that I am very grateful to everyone in the forum.
Just to eliminate a bad XP source as reason for your problems you should borrow a clean XP CD from a friend (without using his CD Key) and to take this borrowed XP CD as source for a new nLited XP CD with integrated Intel textmode driver.

Good luck!

Fernando

You have any idea why it's constantly giving me this BSOD, even with the drivers slipstreamed? I tried doing exactly as I did with the Windows XP 64-bit installation that worked, but no luck...
If you have integrated the same AHCI driver version as 32bit model, which had worked with XP x64, the BSOD has been caused by something else.

What about your RAM sticks? Did you already check them with MemTest? If you have more than 1 RAM stick, have you tried to remove all other RAM sticks before you began with the OS installation?

What about your PSU? Is it good and strong enough for your system?

What about Overclocking? An OS installation should always been done with the default BIOS settings regarding the CPU clock/voltage and Memory timings/voltage.

Hey, thanks for the reply once again Fernando.

I figured out the constant bsod problem. It was actually my USB 3.0 that wouldn't go in XP (not surprised there..), so I changed the ports for my USB 3.0, and tried, this time it worked with no BSOD, BUT the installation was EXTREMELY slow.. As in 20% in about 1-2 hours.. I let it sit for the night, installing, but when I woke up, the installation screen was gone, and it was just stuck at my motherboard logo loading, rebooted it, to see if it would continue the installation process, but now it can't find the ntoskrnl.exe, and my other Windows XP 64 is not working either. I'm guessing that's because of the Windows 32-bit installation screwed with some boot settings.

So, how do I go for getting the installation in normal speed? I tried slipstreaming the USB 3.0 drivers, but didn't help, still got the BSOD. I also tried changing SATA ports / cables, still didn't make the process any faster.

The HD I'm trying to install Windows XP 32-bit on, is a Western Digital WD10EAVS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 1TB, 3.5", 8MB, SATA-300 HD, and it's split up in 3 volumes. 1 for Windows 7, 1 for Data and 1 for Windows XP.

PS. I have been looking around the net for a solution, but they just refer to slipstreaming the SATA drivers, which I already did.. Oh and yes, the SATA mode is at AHCI

Any help would be appreciated as always. And thanks again for all the support!

Edited by eROM

hello 1st post, thanks for any info in advance. have not read all 60 pages yet. like many, I am searching for correct sata controller driver/s or modded pack since I have limited access to floppy........I have nlite program loaded in another pc.........I just installed a new SATA HDD in my dell desktop. I have a 530s and oem disc that came with it (xp home edition sp2). I have the g33 express chipset and ICH9. I notice in my bios sata settings, I am offered either RAID or IDE. if I can be directed to the correct control drivers. I would like to try and intergrate to the os cd. if these drivers are too difficult to obtain, I am just going to purchase another os and start over. thanks again,sincerely TOM.

PS. I have been looking around the net for a solution, but they just refer to slipstreaming the SATA drivers, which I already did.. Oh and yes, the SATA mode is at AHCI

Any help would be appreciated as always.

Why don't you burn a bootable XP CD using the already prepared ISO file with the integrated AHCI driver and boot off that media?

The problem of an USB stick as boot media is the fact, that the XP Setup may try to write the boot sector onto it.

@ tdwilson:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

I am searching for correct sata controller driver/s or modded pack since I have limited access to floppy........I have nlite program loaded in another pc.........I just installed a new SATA HDD in my dell desktop. I have a 530s and oem disc that came with it (xp home edition sp2). I have the g33 express chipset and ICH9. I notice in my bios sata settings, I am offered either RAID or IDE. if I can be directed to the correct control drivers. I would like to try and intergrate to the os cd.
If you don't have the BIOS option to set the SATA Controllers to "AHCI" mode, you should install Windows XP in "IDE" mode and don't need to integrate any special SATA driver. The Windows XP SP2 Setup will detect your HDD without any problem.

Regards

Fernando

Any help would be appreciated as always.

Why don't you burn a bootable XP CD using the already prepared ISO file with the integrated AHCI driver and boot off that media?

The problem of an USB stick as boot media is the fact, that the XP Setup may try to write the boot sector onto it.

Atm I don't have any DVD/CD-ROM.. So you have any other solutions to the slow installation?

Atm I don't have any DVD/CD-ROM.. So you have any other solutions to the slow installation?
Try it once more from scratch with the USB stick, but this time remove the stick during the first reboot. Edited by Fernando 1

thanks for help F. I am so new to any of this, sorrry, from the begining, I could no longer log into windows page about a week ago,no safe mode either......pc was working very nice before this. I ran a diagnostic test from driver/utility disk that came with pc, and it pointed to an uncorrectable error. I format drive with a usb adapter kit on another pc and drive failed tests again so I purchased a new HDD. for some reason my oem os reinstall cd is not recognized in my cd/rom?but my driver / utility cd is?. I have a newer lap top that can see it fine though?...........some info,from (F-12) boot menu, choices are removable -floppy disk. next, 2 choices under hard disk. -sato-0 : wdc wd3200AAKX (new HDD) and -bootable add in cards. next choices are cd rom and utility partition. I elect cd rom but i get no boot device available with os disk. sato-0 installed,sato-1 installed, sato 4 and 5 read none. in my std cmos features,sato-0 my new and only HDD with correct 320GB capacity. sato-1 reads{HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GS} 0 capacity. sato 2 and 3 not present. 4 and 5 none.......I ran a diagnostics on new HDD and it passed all tests.not sure any of that info helps, but thought I would add it. .....I decided to try and use some zip files for ich9 and made a copy of my os disk with some drivers attached with nlite . it kind of worked! my cd rom drive read it and I went through the steps to load the operating system.... heres where the trouble starts, when I get to the part where pc is going to restart and run from HDD, I get unmountable-boot-volume........tried all the fixes, chkdsk/r,p fixboot,mbr............no luck. error is oxoooooed, followed by other #'s. sorrry for the long post, I am sure I left some things out. last info, I am in ide mode, reloaded defaults, my desktop is a 4 year old inspiron with intel G33 express chipset ICH9 6-port. thanks F vey impressive thread you have here!!! TOM. p.s. is it possible that the july 9 midnight deadline for fbi virus killed this pc? timing would have been perfect. I failed to test any of my pc's as all had nod32 antivirus5?....just burned a new copy of my oem xp sp2 he install disk WITHOUT adding any drivers from zipfile and it also failed to be recognized.

Edited by tdwilson

@ tdwilson:

As long as you have set the SATA Controller to "IDE" mode, you should be able to get Windows XP with integrated SP2 or SP3 installed onto your system without having loaded or integrated any special driver.

To avoid any problems while trying to get XP installed onto your new hdd by booting off the XP CD, you should unplug or disable all other bootable devices except the CD/DVD ROM and the new hdd.

Other option: Enter the BIOS and make sure the correct boot order:

• Boot Devices: The order must be 1. CD/DVD ROM and 2. HDD
  • HDD Boot Order ("HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY"): Your new hdd has to be on top!

Another idea:

Please give me the vendor and the exact name of your desktop pc. Then I can look for the best suitable AHCI driver for your system.

Regards

Fernando

morning, F, some info:I have a dell inspiron 530s desktop. intel pentium dual core processor with cpu E2160 @ 1.80 GHZ....................dell site shows 530s to have G33/ICH9 express chipset with 800 MHZ sys. bus speed.................in my bios boot device config." removable disk priority" is shown as 1st for making a choice on, when I press enter there is,only1 option "floppy disk" 2nd for making a choice is the " HD boot priority" and this does have the new HDD on top. OR 1ST. bootable add in cards would be the only other option WHICH IS #2. next column, first boot device- CDROM, 2nd boot device hard disk.

Edited by tdwilson

F. I dont what to say.....your mod pack worked flawlessly!...harder to believe, is that I was able to bring this pc back from the dead with my limited knowledge. (and your help) did not even know what a zip file was or how to use it. I kept googling terms until I could understand the definitions and some how it worked! I decded to not push my luck and installed sp3 after I got it up and running......right now I am downloading just ove 2 hours of updates from the widows update page....thanks so much!! and for having so much patience with all your responses...............if I would not have found your article, I would no longer have xp and I would be spending $$$ on new software.............I am sure you are a valuable employee to someone, thanksfor getting my desktop back!! tom.

it was huge F. pc is faster than ever again!. just got done reinstalling an external drive, printer, and mic. office pro. ........now I need to try and keep the kids from burdening system with video games whilst listening to music on another window at same time..................have the new xp o.s. cd WE made tucked safely away. hope to get a few more years out of this set-up.........TOM