clean install problems

D_block

i just wiped a 40 gig maxtor hdd containing windows xp home. i tried to put back windows xp pro on it. when it finshed copying the xp pro files and the GUI part of the installl starts with 39 mins left, the pc freezes up, the flashing lights to the bottom of the screen stops.

I dont know why :unsure:

now i inserted me windows xp home cd, the pc starts to move extra slow now, its over half and hr an it still cant finsih copying the files it needs to start the set up .

i still dont know why :unsure:

Any ideas guys

its running on a 512 mg or ram an i cant really remember the processor speed

yea im sure its a 40 gig that it came with.

a maxtor 40 gig, i did a fresh insstall because the pc was laggin when u try to boot it.

6 hrs after its still copying its now on 78 % .

i also tried my 40 gig western digital hdd on it, but it didnt work.

i cleared the cmos also because it was not booting at one point, now it takes really long during POST :blink:

Even when i used the 40 gig maxtor on my pc an tried to install xp on it, after copyin files an restarting the pc screen just went blank :blink:

Edited by D_block

ok after a lot of doing i got to install it on my pc, i switched back the hdd an its working :thumbup one more problem though , how do i get it from prompting for me to press f1 after post and it takes really long on the splash screen, it never did that before, and when i disconnec the hdd it doesnt do it either

Help plz :wacko:

anyone who has access to a dell dimension 2400, can u access the bios settings an tell mw what ypur default values are, becasue mines seem to be hanging alot at the boot screen.

it also seems to be doing it when the hdd is plugged in , i dont know why !! :blink: