RAM Footprint with next VLite Version Update ?

benifin

Hi nuhi

Just wondering - with your next Vlite version update [hopefully still] due in the next week or so, are we likely to see a further reduction in the Vista Vlite RAM footprint ?

With the current 1.1beta, a clean Vista Ultimate - fully stripped install on a 2gig RAM machine - with just the audio, chipset and video drivers loaded [no applications or utilities running in startup - ie: zero MSConfig items checked] I get appox. a 250meg <-> 280meg RAM footprint.

nuhi - do you think the your next version update will impact on the RAM footprint ?

Again, many thanks,

Ben

Edited by benifin

There are some components removable in the new one that are always loaded and once removed it will lower it but nothing drastic.

Out on Monday, no comments until then.

If you have less than 1GB of RAM upgrade it now, it is so cheap these days. I just bought another 2GB and now have 4GB, Vista takes it all to cache and it flies. To not get you confused the reason why I remove components is that they get in the way and take resources which are not there to be spent on the OS itself (Crysis anyone?)

Not any more. I saw that Firefox starts faster with it so I leave it.

In my latest install I kept:

Aero, IE, Media Scheduler, Superfetch, App Experience, Game Explorer (but this one won't survive next reinstall).

i also just upgraded to 4gb. but the problem is that vista won't install with anything more than 3gb unless i apply the kb929777 update. had to remove one stick, install vista, install the update and then put in the 4th stick. just wanted to know if vista would install fine if i integrated the hotfix with vlite. anybody else tried this? cause otherwise it's a pain in the a** to keep removing one memory stick every time i need to reinstall..

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=929777