Installing 3G Broadband Modem - INF file error fixed...

snowden

So I've been wrestling with installing the 3G Broadband Modem from Vodafone on windows 2003 (the os is nlited btw). i tried to narrow the problems down to me having left out something on nlite, and i think i might have solved all of this, i just need confirmation from someone who knows the job more than i do so i don't waste my time making a new nlited windows with 'Ports - COM and LPT' included, esp. if there is a much simpler solution! :no:

basically i had one problem to start with, and it was a 'required section not found in INF' error message after i had installed the modem in its first stage (when it installs the modem as a usb device itself). i found a blog that helped me solve this error message, couldn't believe how simple it was (because it is said how stupid can windows be that it isn't fixed by now?), see here: http://www.loosewireblog.com/2006/07/how_to_fix_a_br.html.

anyway, that said, i fixed it, and the modem installed successfully. the next problem i have is when i look in device manager, there is a Port section, and in it is a HUAWEI Modem...etc port that has a yellow exclamation box in it. i right-clicked it to see what the problem is, and it says 'windows cannot load drivers for this device'. on looking around the windows setupapi.log, i find that the device could not be started (unknown reason).

Now i am thinking to myself that the only reason it won't start (and can't load the drivers) is because it is a port that needs a COM port to work. i tried selecting one in properties, but the device fails to start (the vodafone gives error 'failed to connect to network, please check your wireless device settings'). so ll i am left with now is that the device won't work because i removed Ports: COM and LPT from windows when i nlited it...

is this where the problem lies? or am i overlooking something?

btw, i also have tried the modem on a 'TinyXP' version i have on my pc, and it worked fine there...when i checked the Last_session.ini for that version of windows i don't see ports com and lpt removed!

and just to really check if it was windows 2003 that was the problem i nlited windows XP pro sp2 from scratch with the final nlite 1.4 (again, i removed ports from this version) and guess what? the modem didn't work - i got the same error as on windows 2003!

so maybe i am right, the modem's data interface depends on Ports: COM and LPT? :whistle:

Nevermind, I solved it. I remade an nLited windows and now it works! I left Ports (COM & LPT) intact, and also had to make sure that Remote Access (Auto) Connection Manager was working.

I should also mention that this time around I didn't get any INF file errors, it worked straight away! :) :)

Edited by snowden