Windows XP Activation

I've been looking over the posts for Windows XP activation, and I see that using the wpa.dbl method quit working in SP2. Has anyone tried to use a combination of methods? I found in the registry a number of interesting things on a activated WinXP Pro installation:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

DigitalProductID

InstallDate

LicenseInfo

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA

I'm thinking that the combination of these registry keys and the file together is what makes the activation work. I would very much be interested in getting this to work so I can preactivate my legitimate Win XP Pro RTM Upgrade so I don't have to call Microsoft everytime I do an installation. Maybe we can do an online collaborative effort to hash this out.

Any takers?

• 2 weeks later...

Your info re SP2 is incorrect. I have used the "wpa.dbl" "wpa.bak" twice in last 4 days (on same system, unfortunately).

(I use "Recovery Console" (have it as boot option) to copy/replace the files just to be sure of nothing untoward, and certainly quicker than Safe Mode).

You may be onto something with those Registry entries, my "wpa.dbl" is only 3kb, I do however, have one on backup that is 14kb so don't worry about the size.

If you do not have a backup program such as Retrospect, you'll need to do a trial and error.

Further info: Click here

Or here

Edited by jda-au

• 4 weeks later...

June 8th, 2009

Activating Windows XP SP3

Oh what was I thinking!, restoring SP2 files to a clean up-to-date SP3 installation, then doing an in-place "upgrade".

It does not matter if you have only SP2 backups and do a (clean) SP3 install (files change, not system-state), not that I can notice.

Quick and easy...

Step 1). Perform a clean (formatted hard-drive) install.

Step 2). Rename "wpa.dbl" retrieve/restore from backup "wpa.dbl" "wpa.bak".

Step 3). Restore registry-system-state and reboot, job's done.

Though I have software in/on my xp-setup, instead of installing at first login, I manually activate RunOnceEx, after I perform a backup.

This allows me less to backup, I know I have an uncluttered error-free, and less error-prone OS.

Further, I can refresh the installation at any time, and later restore my other 'stuff'.

(Restoring "wpa.bak" averts System from a moment of (noticeable) hesitation while it checks data, and creates a new backup).

(Also, as I have reduced to minimum hardware for installing-windows, less risk the better; see Error occurs during the installation of Windows XP, scroll down, 'tis 3rd last item).

September 11th, 2008 Activating Windows by any means, other than from Backup or through Microsoft, is just not possible.

Backup programs such as EMC® Retrospect® for Windows stay in total control, providing all/any resources, dialogs etc to complete restore. M$ Windows may be running, but is not in control.

The instant that Windows is booted, Windows-System is in total control, and opened (locked, cannot write to an open key) "HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA", where the activated-state data is located.

Please note: This "quick activate installation" I have had success with.

Quickest/simplest way to get an "activated" installation (without calling Microsoft), do a clean-install, start your backup program, do a "Registry-System-state" only restore, before you restart computer, you must, rename existing "wpa.dbl" and retrieve "wpa.dbl" from backup.

On restart, no activate key-icon will appear in system-tray, your registry may/will have entries belonging to software not installed.

For a detailed clean-install, restore (files ?) an activated registry and valid activated copy of "wpa.dbl" see below...

September 3rd, 2008 Activate Windows XP Activate Windows XP Activate Windows XP Activate Windows XP

I have managed to "activate" a clean-install, without contacting Microsoft, using a valid previous copy of "wpa.dbl".

Please note that I do have System Backups. Using EMC® Retrospect® for Windows I first do a clean-install of WinXP SP3.

IMPORTANT: Windows System would not successfully reboot for me when I restored missing files. No problems restoring registry only plus (activated) copy of wpa.dbl. I believe the problem is to do with the version of "Graphics driver" Windows begins using.

Alternative: Especially if you have "WinXP SP3" setup disc, and "WinXP SP2" backup, (1) clean-install, (2)restore files and registry (everything) to a previous date, (3)reboot, (4)"Optical Drive\i386\SETUP.EXE" /UNATTEND

'tis worth trying restore missing files, if problems encountered, remedy by (1) clean-install, (2)skip file restore, (3)restore registry, (4)rename "\Windows\system32\wpa.dbl" to "wpa.dbl.old", (5)restart computer, ...

I then install and start Retrospect for Windows restoring missing files. Retrospect will ask me do I really want to restore WinXP SP2 files to a WinXP SP3 file system? *** Yes ***.

When missing files restore is finished, rename "\Windows\System32\wpa.dbl" to "wpa.dbl.old" and copy my backup of "wpa.dbl" to "\Windows\System32".

***** Important: You must do this file rename and copy, because Retrospect is restoring missing files, and is unaware the existing "wpa.dbl" is incorrect. *****

Next, restore registry (from backup) and when registry restore only is completed reboot.

Congratulations are in order, as WinXP is now (or should be) in the activated state. If not you have missed a step, or done something wrong.

WinXP is operating, but extreme caution is required. Though WinXP is stable enough to show the "Desktop", remember I executed a clean-install of WinXP SP3 and restored missing WinXP SP2 files and registry. So *** stop! ***

Insert copy of WinXP SP3 in optical drive, click "Start -> Run" and type "(OpticalDrive)\WINNT32.EXE /UNATTEND".

Note: I have noticed that "WINNT32.EXE" can be case sensitive, I remember a "Help Window" opened when I typed in lower-case, you only have lower-case or upper-case (which is good odds!). "WINNT32.EXE" will now do an inplace upgrade using all required settings from the registry.

You may notice that the Install_dialog that opens looks different/strange, I know I did, a darker color.

There should be no problems encountered during this stage, as WinXP Setup only copies required files to disk, and then restarts the PC.

When WinXP Setup finishes, you will have a clean-installation, and is (still) activated. Though this may seem a strange example, it was! Microsoft releasing SP3 was a milestone (of sorts), and this example was the only way I could get a clean-installation of WinXP SP3 without activating by telephoning Microsoft. On a previous occasion I was very nicely informed by the Telephonist that they were only too happy to assist with Activation anytime, I found it a real pain in the "a#$%", as you always have to key in a stack of numbers, knowing that it would fail activation because you have exceeded the allowable number of installations, and you would be transferred to a human being.

**********************************************************************************************

**********************************************************************************************

I have just now, read in my latest edition (October 2008) of PC User p78 (Australian Edition), required steps to reactivate Windows XP.

Comment: The procedure below DOES NOT WORK, though I understand it use to, ( "minus the stupid "oobeinfo.ini" step, a statement from "Nameless BOOTI" (see further below)) before security regarding activation was strengthened. OS checks if Activated_State_Value exists (which is lost with clean-install), so there is one more step to complete.

"Nameless BOOTI" writes:

Before you reinstall either the retail or OEM version of XP, backup "C:\Windows\System32\wpa.dbl" and "C:\Windows\System32\oobe\oobeinfo.ini" to a floppy disk. (Or retrieve from a previously activated backup).

Note: It is reported that applying Service Pack 3 (SP3) will also cause the operating system to deactivate. It is also reported that OEM XP users are limited to phone options for activation, as Microsoft has disabled internet activation for preactivated operating systems.

Boot into Safe Mode, Click Start -> 'My Computer', browse to "C:\Windows\System32\wpa.dbl" and rename to "wpa.dbl.old".

Then, browse to "C:\Windows\System32\oobe\oobeinfo.ini" and rename to "oobeinfo.ini.old".

Finally, copy the version of "wpa.dbl" you saved on floppy to "C:\Windows\System32" and "oobeinfo.ini" to "C:\Windows\System32\oobe\"; then restart your PC.

When Windows restarts in normal mode, click Start -> 'All Programs' -> Accessories -> 'System Tools' -> 'Activate Windows' to confirm that your reactivation effort was successful.

Comment:The above procedure DOES NOT WORK, though I understand it use to, ( "minus the stupid "oobeinfo.ini" step, a statement from "Nameless BOOTI" (see below)) before security regarding activation was strengthened. OS searches for registry Activated_State_Value (which is lost with clean-install), so there is one more step to complete.

I did the above, plus I had the pertinent registry data, however, System has one or more registry keys open that need to be written to. Which means, to successfully reactivate Windows, you must restore from backup or call Microsoft.

Maelstorm has listed the Registry keys that relate to Windows being in an Activated state.

Please note:Below is my response/reply (which I hope PC User will have the courage to publish in next (November 2008) issue.

I have expanded on the activation details to make it obvious to the most dense, where in short, the activation process has a value in "HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA" which Windows System checks, if missing, Windows "knows" activation has not been completed.

My reply to the PC User (Australian) article, "Reactivating Windows XP, p78 October 2008.

I was hopefully excited and (wrongly) trusting when I read the "Reactivate Windows XP" article, by "Nameless BOOTI", PC User p78, October 2008. I followed the instructions, and failure followed. I understand reactivation was achievable by renaming "\Windows\System32\wpa.dbl" to "wpa.dbl.old" and copying a backup copy of "wpa.dbl" to "\Windows\System\" when the activation process was first introduced.

Security regarding activation was strengthened by Microsoft ages ago, though I am unable to state the date.

Windows will only be in a activated state if the total value of "HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA\Key-Machine_Specific_Value" and

"HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA\SigningHash-Machine_Specific_Value" plus "HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA\Activated_State_Value" are of equal value to "\Windows\System\wpa.dbl"

With a clean-installation, "HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA\Activated_State_Value" value is lost, therefore value of "HKLM\SYSTEM\WPA" will be less than your backup copy of "\Windows\System\wpa.dbl"

"Nameless BOOTI" used ancient information, adding totally incorrect information stating, "Even worse for OEM users, it's not just a clean installation that will deactivate the operating system; applying Service Pack 3 (SP3) also does this, because it overwrites the file C:\Windows\System32\oobe\oobeinfo.ini, where the preactivation product key is installed and oobe stands for 'Out of Box Experience'."

On completing Windows XP Setup, the Out of Box Experience (OOBE) runs activation-process, registration, mouse tutorial and user creation.

OEM's activate Windows XP prior to the end-user receiving the PC, an end-user applying Service Pack 3 (SP3) will have no effect on the state of activation, except if a reinstall is initiated. Doing so will cause a value imbalance between above named registry keys and "wpa.dbl".

"Nameless BOOTI's" statement that ""Microsoft has disabled internet activation for preactivated operating systems."" is pure double-dutch. Preactivated PC's do not require activation, it is already activated. "Preactivation" simply means that activation has been done prior to delivery (to end-user). "Nameless BOOTI" is in desperate need of a dictionary, to refer to "prior", "pre" and "activate".

I am a very long time annual subscriber to PC User, and will continue to do so. However, I really believed that PC User was more scrupulous in the article reporting department. Shame "Nameless BOOTI", this is the standard of hack reporters and television "news hounds".

Comment: I had forgotten, but I have seen previously "simply stupid" articles by "Nameless BOOTI", fortunately the particular person in question does not submit a lot of articles for publication. This particular individual is a contributor, and I hope the remuneration is as lousy as the article writing.

Edited by jda-au

• 8 months later...