Strange performance in XP

m16si

A couple of days ago i bought a HDD cooler and i played with windows a little!

I also changed virtual memory size!

And since then games, programs, appz,... all work very very strange

i have this weird staggering in games like when i play NFS pro street demo the game doesn't run smooth and staggers that the game is bearly playable. Same goes to COD4 and other games i play.

Is it because i changed virtual memory or something.

One more question what is the optimum virtual memory size (I have 1GB DDR ram) ?

Thnx

the optimal pagefile size is 1.5 X the amount of ram you have,so in your case 1536 would be optimal.

the strange performance you mention, i notice it is in games, have you left a molex connector disconnected from the graphics card? or are you powering too many devices from a single 12V rail?

Remember that Windows programs know nothing about RAM (even the kernel executive) - they all use their 2GB or 3GB of virtual address space, and the NT memory manager maps those pages of VA into RAM or into the paging file. If you have a lot of RAM, manually configuring a small pagefile will bias the memory manager towards keeping pages in RAM, and it won't be able to page out much. This is a double-edged sword though, in that if a crash occurs you'll have little or no data about it, and if you need to commit more pages from running programs than you have RAM and pagefile to handle, bad things will happen... :unsure: