new to the whole Linux...Unix....MS DOS

moc_orlando

hey...Like i said i am new to the whole Linux.....

I have a standard Desk Top with windows XP on it.

i wanted to know where i can learn about using these operating systems like Linux on my computer??...remember im like so stupid when it comes to using CMDs ....i need like a introduction to see if it is the right move for me ...i really want to learn how to manage linux or Ms Dos or whatever one i chose to use in place of windows

DOS is dead... don't touch it.

If you want a really good *nix system and want to dive into the realm of command line shells, then go for FreeBSD. If you want something with GUI shell to fall back on, I'd recommend FedoraCore. Just make sure you get FC6 (Zod) and not 7 - they made 7 too glitsy in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see:

1. Ubuntu. Easy to use, simple and moderatelly fast.

2. Gentoo. Hard to use, more complex since you have to compile it yourself, the fastest since you can tailor it to your hardware.

3. Sabayon linux. Its made from Gentoo and its really flashy since its got those vista-like hardware rendered effects. Its pretty easy to use, no idea about speed since I only ran it off a live-cd.

Those are my faves.

And DOS is not dead. Its a very good learning tool.

Next thing you know QBaisc is dead. :(

Edited by brucevangeorge

i have the same question,i wanna try a unix system and see if i can get use to it but theres diffrent idea's posted on this post.i really want it to need as less as possible shell/command moderation and use,more like windows if i wanna compare.

so what should i choose?

Edited by Woomera

• 3 weeks later...

IF you just want to get your feet wet I'd recommend using a Live CD. You just boot to it and it's pretty much a running system. To start out, I'd recommend something well rounded and stable (Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Slackware, Fedora).

Start at Linux Documentation Project or the forums at Linux Questions. Learn the file structure and where linux puts everything in relation to what you know about Windows and then you should be able to start playing with the various applications and configurations.

Work from the command prompt as much as possible and use the man pages when you get stuck.

As others have mentioned, using a Live CD/DVD is a great way to try different Linux distributions without going through the installation only to find out you don't like the particular distro.

Which OS to choose depends on the way you use your computer, the everyday tasks you do may be easier to do on one particular OS.

I've wanted to learn Linux, but I haven't had the time or the motivation to start all over with a new OS (I've booted it using a Live CD but that's it). The problem is also where/at which level to start; being an expert (not to brag) at Windows and the likes (DOS/cmd-scripting), but not a programmer in any way makes it difficult to find a guide that suits me without being overly simple (=just using the GUI) or too advanced (=programming). I'm sure others here at MSFN are in the same position.

• 2 months later...
i really want it to need as less as possible shell/command moderation and use,more like windows if i wanna compare.

so what should i choose?

You can install just the core of Ubuntu.

If you want a simple, lite GUI then get Xubuntu. It uses XFCE. Even lighter is Fluxbox & IceWM.

I had vista on stock dell system, it ran pretty good, slightly slow but nothing to complain with. But then i dual-booted with Ubuntu 7.10, and runs 39434 times smoother and faster. I only run back to vista when i need to use graphic arts such as photoshop and etc... I would define it as MAC OSX as with XP combined into an uber system. highly recommended

Like Zxian I used to be a Fedora user (and I loved v7, by the way), but the number of updates to deal with just became too much for me - like a new kernel every two weeks? :whistle: Plus the fact that the updates for each version are dropped after 12 months.

Then I came across recommendations for CentOS in the Fedora forums. CentOS is the stable version of what Fedora is a testbed for. I like it because it is more stable than Fedora and has a life-cycle of at least five years. Excellent OS for a server and pretty nice as a desktop.