COD4

Maleko

For those with compatibility issues, have you tried to install it on a machine running XP and then copy the COD4 folder altogether?

Well that might work, but I don't have access to an XP machine to do this on. I guess I should get with the program and get off 2000 already. I just hate to do that when it's probably rather simple to bypass this stupid OS check or somehow trick windows installer into temporarily thinking its on XP.

Guest patrickmaher

How to get Call of Duty 4 running on Windows 2000 without installing:

I was able to get the COD4 Demo working on Win2K and played through it without any problems, so I assume the full game will work fine. I have just got the full game running up to the main menu screen, wanted to post here before I start playing.

For the demo, the installer extracts all the files to your temp folder of your windows user account. When you get the OS not supported message and then click OK it deletes the temp files. Just set the temp files to read only before clicking OK on the OS not supported dialog. Then you can move the files anywhere you want. The files in the temp folder are in the correct hierarchy for playing the game, just run the exe.

For the full game the files are in the correct hierarchy in X:\Setup\Data\ where X: is your disc drive. Just copy the contents of that folder to your hard drive. I think the default install path is C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\ so you can copy the files there if you wish, but it shouldn't matter where you copy to. Then run iw3sp.exe to play, you can make your own shortcuts. There is a iw3mp.exe which I assume is for multiplayer.

If you want the game to show up in Xfire you need to add a key to the Windows registry.

For Demo: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Activision\CoD4MWDemo\InstallPath

For Full: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Activision\Call of Duty 4\InstallPath

If you do not have any Activision games installed you will need to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ in the registry and then create a new key named "Activision" then inside that create a key named "Call of Duty 4". Now create a new string value in the "Call of Duty 4" key and name it "InstallPath". Set it's value to the path where you copied the Call of Duty 4 files, in my case "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare".

Hope that helps. I'm going to go try and play, I assume it will run fine.

I have not tried patching the game, not sure if that will also check for OS or require registry keys other than the InstallPath key.

Update:

I have played about 5 levels of single player and it is running fine.

I was able to get multiplayer working and install the 1.4 patch.

Since the COD4 files were copied without installing you have to install punk buster yourself.

Download PBSETUP.exe from http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Follow their instructions for adding COD4 and checking for updates, it will install what is needed.

The 1.4 patch does the same OS detection and I was unable to figure out how to bypass it to install the patch. Luckily someone created a rar file with the patch files. Get it here http://www.servercommand.org/downloads.php...file&id=171

Finally you will need to enter your key in order to play multiplayer. Open the multiplayer version of the game and find the multiplayer options screen, enter you key there. (I'm not sure if this is the normal procedure or if it usually has you do this during the install of the game)

Edited by patrickmaher

Thank you so much for this. Seems obvious to me now, but I never thought of trying to copy the files over manually. Does the game acknowledge the presense of patch 1.4? Most games would say "1.4" or something on the main menu. I wasn't planning on playing multiplayer, and I'm curious if I was successful in applying the patch manually. In any event, that's not really a big deal. I'm more pleased to be up and running.

While this installer issue represents a scary trend of software manufacturers forcing operating systems on customers, I thank you again for helping me out of this one.

Guest patrickmaher

From what I saw in the singleplayer main menu their is no mention of the version, most likely there is a console command to show the version.

If you run the multiplayer exe the main menu does show that it is now 1.4 in the bottom right corner and I verified that I am now able to connect to 1.4 servers (before I patched 1.4 servers gave error about wrong version).

So I assume the patch did apply to singleplayer properly also.

The situation does suck since Windows 2000 really does run fine. XP has minor improvements in some areas but is for the most part the same really. The companies just don't want to support it, they don't want to test on 2K. In some ways I can understand that but like you said, they should warn you but let you proceed at your own risk. COD4 so far runs fine with no modification, Crysis and Bioshock would not run on 2K and required modification and files only available on XP/Vista.

Just for your info:

Crysis fix

Bioshock fix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was able to get the COD4 Demo working on Win2K and played through it without any problems, so I assume the full game will work fine. I have just got the full game running up to the main menu screen, wanted to post here before I start playing.

For the demo, the installer extracts all the files to your temp folder of your windows user account. When you get the OS not supported message and then click OK it deletes the temp files. Just set the temp files to read only before clicking OK on the OS not supported dialog. Then you can move the files anywhere you want. The files in the temp folder are in the correct hierarchy for playing the game, just run the exe.

For the full game the files are in the correct hierarchy in X:\Setup\Data\ where X: is your disc drive. Just copy the contents of that folder to your hard drive. I think the default install path is C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\ so you can copy the files there if you wish, but it shouldn't matter where you copy to. Then run iw3sp.exe to play, you can make your own shortcuts. There is a iw3mp.exe which I assume is for multiplayer.

If you want the game to show up in Xfire you need to add a key to the Windows registry.

If you do not have any Activision games installed you will need to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ in the registry and then create a new key named "Activision" then inside that create a key named "Call of Duty 4". Now create a new string value in the "Call of Duty 4" key and name it "InstallPath". Set it's value to the path where you copied the Call of Duty 4 files, in my case "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare".

I have not tried patching the game, not sure if that will also check for OS or require registry keys other than the InstallPath key.

Update:

Since the COD4 files were copied without installing you have to install punk buster yourself.

Follow their instructions for adding COD4 and checking for updates, it will install what is needed.

The 1.4 patch does the same OS detection and I was unable to figure out how to bypass it to install the patch. Luckily someone created a rar file with the patch files. Get it here http://www.servercommand.org/downloads.php...file&id=171

Finally you will need to enter your key in order to play multiplayer. Open the multiplayer version of the game and find the multiplayer options screen, enter you key there. (I'm not sure if this is the normal procedure or if it usually has you do this during the install of the game)

Hi thanx for the fix worked great !

Do you know how i could install version 1.5 patch ??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update:

It didnt work for me =/ I copied the files and tried running the setup file but the same message(NT not supported) keeps appearing. Although if I go into the setup folder and double click "iw3sp" file it runs the demo...well starts it off actually. When it gets to the menu screen where you create your name it crashes (tried 5 times crashed everytime)

• 4 months later...