Buying a new computer!

Panarchy

Are you guys trying to give this guy a technological orgasm? His old PC is 6 years old. My old CPU (AMD 3700+ Single Core, 2.2 GHz) would blow his mind, and you are recommending him to go Quad Core?

Do I hear overkill?

Also, if you don't have any experience building systems than I would like to say "Be careful".

^I think I can! :P

Thanks Jeremy (for the tip)

I think that if I have, as you put it 'a technological orgasm', that I would love it :wub:

I really want a good fast computer.

By fast I mean really fast.

My current computer has a Geforce 7600GS Graphics card & 2GB of RAM.

Please give me some more tips,

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: I have a book somewhere that tells me how to build a computer!

Edited by Panarchy

well there is a such thing as in over your head. whether you buy a top of the line or a middle of the reaod upgradable machine, follow the old construction rule of measure twice, cut once. Actually it would prolly be best if no cutting was involved -unless you buy a 20$ case then i can guarantee there will be cutting -and prolly blood involved (cheap cases aren't know for their rounded edges)

best advice i can give:

Buy a good case -Antec is my personal favorite (Sonata series are my favorites)

A quad core for a first build is a bad idea -the CPU itself is 279$ and if you insert it wrong, shock it, or mount the heatsink incorrectly, wrecking a 279$ piece of equipment would probably make you sick (it would make me sick)

A Core 2 Duo starts around 120$ and if you kill it, it would be easier to stomach

Other than that the gigabyte recommendation, i agree with everything else puntoMX recommended (though i will admit, i haven't dealt with a gigabyte product since my P3 600Mhz)

I recommend getting the parts from http://www.newegg.com/

^He's right. Wrong country.

eh, i guess i will help since my first time asking i was similar to you. sorry about before.

for psu i recommend the corsair HX520 or HX620

what else do u need?

HX620?

Sounds good.

All I need now is for 1 other person to agree with you.

Does anyone else agree that for my psu I should have the HX620?

well there is a such thing as in over your head. whether you buy a top of the line or a middle of the reaod upgradable machine, follow the old construction rule of measure twice, cut once. Actually it would prolly be best if no cutting was involved -unless you buy a 20$ case then i can guarantee there will be cutting -and prolly blood involved (cheap cases aren't know for their rounded edges)

best advice i can give:

Buy a good case -Antec is my personal favorite (Sonata series are my favorites)

A quad core for a first build is a bad idea -the CPU itself is 279$ and if you insert it wrong, shock it, or mount the heatsink incorrectly, wrecking a 279$ piece of equipment would probably make you sick (it would make me sick)

A Core 2 Duo starts around 120$ and if you kill it, it would be easier to stomach

Other than that the gigabyte recommendation, i agree with everything else puntoMX recommended (though i will admit, i haven't dealt with a gigabyte product since my P3 600Mhz)

I recommend getting the parts from http://www.newegg.com/

:(

But I really want Quad Core!

Can you show me a guide on how to do the inserting it right? How would I shock it? Guide link please.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

But I really want Quad Core!

Can you show me a guide on how to do the inserting it right? How would I shock it? Guide link please.

I'd really like a Ferrari, but I'd be scared outta my mind if I were to actually own one. Why? Because I don't have the experience to drive one. In your case, I'd suggest that you find some old sacrificial system and learn how to take it all apart, and then put it back together. If you can do that consistently on an old system that you don't care about, then you should be able to build your own system from scratch.

If you're willing to risk throwing away a $300USD CPU, then go ahead, but you definitely want some practice before playing with $1500 worth of computer components.

Anyways,

My WishList

Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme

Graphics Card: Nvidia 8800GT

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Hard Drives: Western Digital (probably a 500GB, as I have just bought a new 400GB one)

I still don't have;

1. Memory

2. Optical Drives

3. Cooling system

4. Power Supply

Please suggest!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: I'll chose the case at the store.

Edited by Panarchy

I don´t know, it could be my English...

Basically, you need:
  • - RAM; Just plain and simple DDR2 on 800MHz, 2GB would be good to start with, if you like you can drop in directly 4 sticks of 1GB, a total of 4GB. Personaly I don’t like the overdone, overvolted DDR2 sticks; A 1.8volt stick would do fine from any known “brand”.
  • - Harddisks; All depends on how much speed you need. To be secure about the data you have you could directly go RAID. At this moment the Seagate 7200.11 is king in the 7200rpm hard disk world, but WesternDigital comes close to that. 500GB drives are no exception these days by the way ;).
  • - Optical drive; DVD-RW, any will do fine. Try to get a SATA model so your case will look cleaner inside. Brands Like Pioneer and LiteON are favourites among us (the Geeks :P).
  • - PSU (Power Supply Unit); this totally depends on how much drives and how hungry your VGA card will be, but think about a PSU of 430 real Watts and up. Popular picks are Corsair HX520 and 620.