Locking Up

tlcmd

Would appreciate some advice.

Windows98 se plus latest autopatcher, 550MHZ Pentium III, 18 G hard drive. Microsoft Word.

Problem: Works fine until I get on-line. Then after going to a couple of sites (IE and/or K-Meleon), it locks up requiring me to manually reboot. Finally downloaded K-meleon by using a different computer to burn an exe disk. Did the same with Spybot 1.5) The computer was clean before the downloads and is so now. Also haver run defrag and full scan for errors. Cannot stay on-line long enough to download McAfee.

Suggestions or ideas as to what's wrong and how to fix it?

This computer is home networked with 3 others (all XP) via HomePortal (2wirepc).

Thanks.

This computer has been on our home network for several years. And it is currently (as of 5 min ago) on-line and working fine. I am re-installing the Full November Autopatcher (from cd). But it rarely stays on-line very long. Especially if I go to any download site. I'll go to McAfee.com, get to the log-in and it will lock up. Ditto for Spybot. I never even get to click on "run" or "save" before it locks up. I did finally download Spybot and it did so normally; then went to McaAee and it locked up before I could get to the log-in page. Our other network computers are XP and are working well. It installs and opens from cd's fine.

Suggestions, please.

TLCMD

This computer has been on our home network for several years. And it is currently (as of 5 min ago) on-line and working fine. I am re-installing the Full November Autopatcher (from cd). But it rarely stays on-line very long. Especially if I go to any download site. I'll go to McAfee.com, get to the log-in and it will lock up. Ditto for Spybot. I never even get to click on "run" or "save" before it locks up. I did finally download Spybot and it did so normally; then went to McaAee and it locked up before I could get to the log-in page. Our other network computers are XP and are working well. It installs and opens from cd's fine.

Suggestions, please.

TLCMD

Check your CPU temperture - probably running high!

Suggestions, please.

TLCMD

Make sure autopatcher does not tweak network/internet settings. I don't know whether it does or not.