What's x64?

abdurrahman

x86-64 is a 64-bit superset of the x86 instruction set architecture. The x86-64 instruction set natively supports Intel's x86 and was designed by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), who have since renamed it AMD64. This architecture has been cloned by Intel under the name Intel 64 (formerly known as Yamhill, Clackamas Technology, CT, IA-32e, and EM64T).[1] This leads to the common use of the names x86-64 or x64 as more vendor-neutral terms to collectively refer to the two nearly identical implementations.

x86-64 should not be confused with IA-64, the architecture of Intel's Itanium series of processors. The latter is not compatible on the native instruction set level with older 32-bit x86 processors.

USE GOOGLE FOR FURTHER REFRENCE !!

ok.

but i have one more question. if i want to buy an 64bit cpu, is it necessary to buy a x64 motherboard or whatelse?

just see if the motherboard supports that cpu, as you would with any cpu purchase, aint gotta worry about the 64 part, cause if it dotn support the x64 cpu, it just wont :P

... cause if it dotn support the x64 cpu, it just wont :P ...

Don’t scare him! ;)

abdurrahman, any new CPU will have 64bit instruction sets and registers so don’t you worry about that. It’s not the motherboard that needs to be compatible, only the CPU needs to be compatible with 64bit. I’m sure that any thing you find now in the shops will support 64bit...