CPU Usage Too high!

Daniel-J

I decided to watch my computer's CPU usage via the Windows System Monitor tool. It showed the CPU usage at 100% and never went down! I think that's bad, no? Also, when I empty the recycle bin, it takes about 5 seconds to empty. The computer doesn't freeze, it just takes 5 seconds for the recycle bin to empty and show an empty recycle bin icon. I remember a time when it was INSTANT! It's been this way for years now.

I'm using Windows 98 SE. I've got an IBM 300PL with a CPU clock speed of 355 MHz. RAM is 192 MB. Hard drive is Samsung 7200 RPM 40 GB. Video card is S3 Trio (I think that's on board IBM video). Sound card is external Soundblaster PCI. And I had pizza for lunch.

But WHY the 100% CPU usage??? Even IDLE (Running VERY minimal background programs and NO foreground programs - except System Monitor, of course!). If I remember correctly, the slow recycle bin emptying started with the new hard drive. CPU usage related? Or maybe I'm off my rocker here and should just stick to eating pizza!

Slow recycle bin emptying might be due to the HD. Have you defragmented recently? Also the Recycle bin emptying can get slow if deleting many many files at once.

Also, I recall there having been issues with System Monitor Reading the CPU correctly in the past. Have you tried reading CPU activity with other monitors such as SpeedFan?

Edited by Chozo4

No, I haven't tried other CPU monitoring software, but I think I'll try. I think System Monitor may be having issues like you said, because my system is pretty darned fast! Except for emptying the recycle bin. It's not because of poor maintainance, because I'm 100% on top of that. And it's even slow when deleting one small file! The empty recycle bin has been slow even after a clean install! Before I got the new hard drive, I had a 3 GB hard drive with bad sectors on it. I then got a brand new 40 GB HD and noticed the change then. Windows only sees about 38 GB of the HD, but I think that's pretty normal.

By the way, I've noticed a *new* problem with the recycle bin in relation to a clean install...After I format C:\ I then proceed to start computer with CD ROM support and then it's on to re-installing Windows. It takes about 25-30 minutes and after all is said and done, I try to delete one file, but the recycle bin is an invalid format. So, I try again, and I get the same message. I also get the option to empty the recycle bin, which I do. But the icon still shows it's full, but it's not. All I have to do is delete another file and everything is fine. I don't know where that came from, but it's easily fixed anyway.

Edited by Daniel-J

Workaround for faster emptying of the Recycle Bin:

1) Get NIRCMD.EXE (you'll find it at the NirSoft site);

2) Put it in %windir%\COMMAND;

3) Create a shotcut on the desktop. Right-clic it and in the Properties -> Shortcut tab give it the following Target: START /m nircmd emptybin and set it to Run Minimized. Click Apply, then OK. Name it, say, "Flush Bin".

From now on, instead of right-clicking on the Recycle Bin and selecting Empty Recycle Bin, you just double-click Flush Bin. HTH

It's a process called "Idle" which is hogging over 99% of the CPU's usage.

Program = Idle

%CPU = 99.66

CPU Time = 44:02

Threads = 8

Type = 32-bit 4.1

Path = Idle

Has this got something to do with my display adaptor?

You're in the wrong forum. Windows 9x don't have a "System Idle Process" entry.

That exists in the NT family of Windows only!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP