SmoothText 1.1.8

WildBill

Oops! There was a bug in 1.0.4 where tasks weren't terminating properly. I've deleted it and uploaded a fixed version. The top post has an updated download link. Since 1.0.4 has been up for all of 30 minutes I decided to just re-upload it instead of making a 1.0.5.

Edited by WildBill

Check out the alpha-blended tooltip ;)

s638jm.png

1.0.5 will have quite a few fixes and improvements.

EDIT: Revised the stretching parameters for the image to make it look a little better.

Edited by WildBill

I used this version, and occured many memory leaks.

I uploaded log file here.

This Application freezed when I continual clicked several times short cut icon with ALT key.

Oops! There was a bug in 1.0.4 where tasks weren't terminating properly. I've deleted it and uploaded a fixed version. The top post has an updated download link. Since 1.0.4 has been up for all of 30 minutes I decided to just re-upload it instead of making a 1.0.5.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm currently testing version 1.0.5 for imminent release. There is one intermittent startup bug that I don't care for (when it happens you have to kill Explorer and restart it), but otherwise it's performing very well so far. I've spent an enormous amount of time trying to make it really stable.

Windows NT 4 support on SmoothText 1.0.5...note the skinning and the gradient-fill title bar :D

353cqck.png

I still have one showstopper that I'd like to fix. Also, I'm working on a simple skin (shown here) that will work on NT4. Actually, the only restrictions for NT4 are that you can't have any alpha-blended windows, such as start button overlays, tooltips, and menus. You CAN otherwise use alpha-blended skin images, though.

P.S. Don't worry about the weird-looking calculator icon at the top. I have Daedalus off at the moment.

Edited by WildBill

There are some news about subpixel font rendering if someone is interested.

Pardon me if it's not the right place to share.

1) ClearType rasterizer from Microsoft Reader (which i use in RP9) is widely tweakable with registry settings and in fact gives results extremely close to Windows 7 output.

2) There is a full functioning ClearType rasterizer in gdiplus.dll which is artifically restricted by GetVersionEx check. It gives output extremely close to Windows XP output and has decent performance, but GDI+ text api is awkward.

And by extremely close i mean pixel perfect match with indistinguishable color or possible minor hinting differences.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still squashing bugs, but I've also added some new stuff. I've got rudimentary border skinning working, though I still need to refine it this week. I've also nearly completed a skin that will work on NT4 (shown here) and I have the beginning of another one. I don't know if I'll go to the trouble to complete both, but at the very least I want to have light and dark versions of the one shown here (needless to say, this is the dark version).

Things are progressing very well, now, though; while there are occasional visual glitches, SmoothText 1.0.5 is largely bug-free now.

vhggo8.png