Should I get Win2000

chewit

I could be outdated, but before 32bit apps ran almost twice as fast on a 32bit OS like NT then on a 16bit OS like 95/98(SE)/ME... This was on a Pentium pro about 12 years ago (on 95)... Correct me if I’m wrong please...

So, I was wondering how it’s possible that Windows 98 now is a "complete 32bit OS? Even 2000 has 16bit parts but the kernel is 32bits...

This is why I say Windows 98 has a partly 16 and 32bit core but Windows 2000 32bit... This is why drivers don’t work on 98 and do work on NT/2000 (a part of it, and the OS layers).

Windows 98 (codenamed Memphis) is a graphical operating system released on June 25, 1998 by Microsoft and the successor to Windows 95. Like its predecessor, it is a hybrid 16-bit/32-bit monolithic product based on MS-DOS.

I'll agree that Windows XP is faster than Windows 2000 on a strong computer. However, on a computer offering 500 MHZ or less, Windows 2000 exceeds XP's performance.

Actually, that's true with almost anything under 1.8 Ghz.

Also, Intels seem to be better with Windows XP than AMDs, at least earlier ones.

I've experienced the same thing as well in regards to old AMD computers. Can't say the what's the story with AMD today. However, when the K6 was classed as AMD's top of the line processor it offered a lousy performance on Windows XP.

I'll agree that Windows XP is faster than Windows 2000 on a strong computer. However, on a computer offering 500 MHZ or less, Windows 2000 exceeds XP's performance.

Actually, that's true with almost anything under 1.8 Ghz.

Also, Intels seem to be better with Windows XP than AMDs, at least earlier ones.

I've experienced the same thing as well in regards to old AMD computers. Can't say the what's the story with AMD today. However, when the K6 was classed as AMD's top of the line processor it offered a lousy performance on Windows XP.

Even as late as socket A, they're appears to be a bigger performance gap between Windows 2000 and Windows XP than with an Intel, at least with a Pentium 4 and Intel 845E chipset.

So, I was wondering how it’s possible that Windows 98 now is a "complete 32bit OS? Even 2000 has 16bit parts but the kernel is 32bits...

This is why I say Windows 98 has a partly 16 and 32bit core but Windows 2000 32bit... This is why drivers don’t work on 98 and do work on NT/2000 (a part of it, and the OS layers).

Windows 98 (codenamed Memphis) is a graphical operating system released on June 25, 1998 by Microsoft and the successor to Windows 95. Like its predecessor, it is a hybrid 16-bit/32-bit monolithic product based on MS-DOS.

Win98 has a 32 bit kernel that thunks when needed to 16bit for dos/16bit compatibilty, and has some 16 bit system files programmed in assembly for performance advantages. Winnt is a hybrid kernel based around the same objectives of Mach, having a kernel structure similar to a microkernel, but implemented as a monolithic kernel.

Your win2k/xp wdm driver files will work fine on our win98se systems once the infs are modified and any missing imports in ntkernel.vxd stubbed. I guess it has not happened as of yet because some of us still use older hardware (while my old tbird keeps chugging along I am quite happy) or are not all device driver writers, but it will happen given time

Edited by oscardog

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 2000 is a good OS. I have run it on a 266 pentium without problems and it runs on the latest and greatest. The only reason it runs slow is the usual build up of c**p that builds up from explorer.

MS say they will cease support in Jan 08 so get while you can and grab all related downloads before Christmas.

I have been doing ALOT of work with win200 and win98 lately on systems almost identical to yours!

I really, really suggest win2000 for your setup especially with the unnoficial SP5 and even some addons. I made some and posted them in the addons section over at wincert.net just for windows 2000.

Windows 2000 is MUCH more stable than 98 plus you can nLite the sh_t outta it and make it even more stable and quicker.

Link for sp5 http://tracker.ryanvm.net/detail?id=59 (sorry but its only on torrent now.)