XP Recovery Partition

Hello,

I hope my choice of forums is acceptable, I had to make a bit of a leap to guess at which one was the best fit.

The company that I work for sells custom PC's that basically just operate as consoles to access our services. A lot of work goes into preparing the image both before and after the customer has recieved it.

At the moment we ship our system with the hard drives in removable drawers, so that in the case of a software failure, the customer would be able to remove the drive and ship it back for re-imaging. There are some pretty obvious inefficiencies with this process.

We are looking for a software solution that would allow us to create a recovery partition so that we could automate the process for the users onsite (not unlike the way that Dell and HP use recovery partitions) . I am aware that this is do-able with ghost, but because these are not internal machines we would like to make sure that we were using proper licencing, and do not want to purchase an entirely new ghost license per system.

Does anyone know of any software that might fit this need?

You could use the a PE boot and imagex. imagex is a Microsoft's file-based imaging tool and is available for free as part of the WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit). The only difference you'll run in to with file-based (imagex) vs sector-based (ghost) is that you will have to format and partition the disks before applying the image. But these differences are easily overcome. I'd suggest checking out the PE forum.