Netmeeting-kb927853 hotfix

Quisquose

Does anyone have a copy of the above hotfix file? (Netmeeting-kb927853-x86-enu.msi)

I use Windows 2000 and I am trying to offer some remote assistance to a friend who is not using Vista. In the past we just used NetMeeting to share the desktop so that I could fix problems remotely, but NetMeeting does not run on Vista, and whatever crap they've replaced NetMeeing with in Vista will not run on Windows 2000.

I've seen on the Microsoft support site that there is a hotfix available that allows NetMeeting to work on Vista. Basically the hotfix is just NetMeeting v3.02 (i.e. version 3.01 patched to run on Vista) however, v3.02 allows the desktop to be shared on Vista (which won't work if you try to force a hack with v3.01).

Microsoft (in their infinite stupidity ... as usual) have made this process as awkward as they possibly can by not making the hotfix available for download. You have to telephone them to get it.

The Hotfix Share web site is the only other place that I can see where it can be downloaded http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=463 but the stupid site will not send out an email to allow me to register. I've tried to register 3 times with different usernames and different email addresses, but no email gets dispatched to me.

So, if anyone has a copy of the file itself (or if they have a Hotfix Share account that they could use to download the file) then I'd be most grateful.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

If the newbie that I was helping was capable of installing a VNC server, configuring whatever ports / firewall rules are needed and then using a totally new interface, then I doubt that I'd need to be offering remote help to them in the first place.

Netmeeting is very familiar to this person, the configuration is a simple wizard and so this would be the easiest option (if Microsoft just made the dàmn file available).

Edited by Quisquose

• 2 years later...

The Hotfix Share web site is the only other place that I can see where it can be downloaded http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?automodule=downloads&showfile=463 but the stupid site will not send out an email to allow me to register. I've tried to register 3 times with different usernames and different email addresses, but no email gets dispatched to me.

the download can be obtained recently on the Hotfix share site without registration, Quisquose. so try again now.

however, this Netmeeting-KB927853 hotfix is no longer available from Microsoft support as they've removed MS KB article 927853 [now produces "Sorry, but we couldn't find the page that you requested" error message] and have pulled the actual hotfix package itself. so that means you can no longer request it from Microsoft as Netmeeting is a deprecated and obsolete software.