Compatible Hardware with Windows 9x

Creative Ectiva 5.1 PCI sound card (white box, cheap, sold in Japan and Asia and uses WDM driver model) is fully supported in Windows 98SE/Me. May stutter when playing back WMA files while performing processor-intensive tasks, but it also does this in 2k/XP.

Canon CanoScan LiDE 25 USB scanner is fully supported in Windows 98SE/Me. Works perfectly.

Fuji Xerox DocuPrint 203A laser printer is fully supported in Windows 98/Me.

BAFO Sil3512 (Silicon Image chip) SATA-I PCI card. Can hook up to two SATA drives. Has its own BIOS which is easily flashed. Works perfectly with 98SE/Me.

Shuttle AN35N-400 nForce 2 motherboard supports Windows 98SE/Me, however, it is unstable using nVidia's IDE driver on standard IDE hard drive. A workaround I've tested a few times confirms (for me) that it is perfectly stable in Win9x when using a SATA hard drive on the Sil3x12 SATA add-on card and not installing the nVidia IDE drivers.

IMHO, my previous ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP 8x card was less stable than nVidia GeForce4 MX440 64MB with AGP8x I am currently using. That said, the capacitors on the ATI card were bulging and leaking, so if that had been going on for a long time, that could have been the problem all along.

Regards,

Paul

Why would this be needed as the drive is enclosed and I wouldn't have thought that dust would be able to get into the lens.

A Google for "clean DVD lens" returns 1,380,000 results. I wonder if you could be wrong ?

You have got to remember that there are also DVD stand alone players/recorders, and as apossed to the internal DVD computer lens I still say there is less chance of cleaning being required

Just because there are loads of hits doesn't really mean to say that these products actually do any good, in fact some people think they can damage the lens.

• 2 months later...

Why would this be needed as the drive is enclosed and I wouldn't have thought that dust would be able to get into the lens.

A Google for "clean DVD lens" returns 1,380,000 results. I wonder if you could be wrong ?

You have got to remember that there are also DVD stand alone players/recorders, and as apossed to the internal DVD computer lens I still say there is less chance of cleaning being required

Just because there are loads of hits doesn't really mean to say that these products actually do any good, in fact some people think they can damage the lens.

You'd think that, but the drive isn't sealed airtight, so after years the dust will build up and circulate around inside the drive, eventually reaching the lens.

A quality lens-cleaning CD won't scratch the lens; the tiny brushes are super soft. Only buy one if you value the drive and don't mind gambling ten bucks. There's a very small chance it'll work.

• 3 months later...

You can add CH Products Combatstick, FighterStick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals (all USB) devices to the list. I still have mine and have been using them since 1999. The Control Manager driver (downloaded from the Tech Support page on the CH Products website) is designed to work with all versions of Windows back to and including Windows 98. For Win98, the software is installed with all CH Products devices disconnected...reboot...then plug each device into a USB port and they will be recognized. Using WinXP and above, the software is installed after connecting all devices.

In addition, a good resource for tweaks and setup is the CH Hanger forums website.

• 2 months later...

Today, I came upon the Epson Stylus C88+ printer from Epson's current lineup. I checked the specs and whaddya know? It officially supports Windows 98SE/ME at this day and age! An active lineup printer no less! Unfortunately for me, it is a consumer level inkjet printer, which is not much of an improvement over my Epson Stylus Color 740 that I still own from 11 years ago.

Epson's website is out of stock, so it looks like the C88+ might be dropped out of the lineup very soon. The printer is still widely available. I should probably snap one up since the 740's ink cartridges are selling for very high prices. Two and a half of those and I have a brand spanking new C88+ complete with ink. This is probably one of the last modern printers to support 98SE/ME, if not the only one left.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fujifilm digital camera A170, but not with the supplied version of FinePix software, you need to find an earlier version such as 5.3.10E (eg. for S6500fd) for W98-compatibity (the supplied USB driver is OK, but seems useless without that cumbersome software). Note, these cameras use the PTP/MTP interface, not mass storage, so you're basically forced to use their drivers and software.

Panasonic Lumix digital camera DMC-LS80. (Uses mass storage interface, so standard file access works fine.)

Joe.

[Edit: Corrected some details about the A170 driver.]

Edited by jds

• 2 weeks later...

I had one Silicon Image SIL3114 4x SATA RAID card and it always caused stack overflow when driver got installed in win98se. I tried different BIOSes but nothing helped but I did manage to find a fix for that at cost of no SATA seen in DOS which is disconnecting !CE line of the flash on the card and tying it to 3.3V. Boot is faster, no SATA in DOS, and no stack overflow error in windows, no shutdown problems and drives show up nicely in windows with no performance problems ^^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Please, anyone note:

There is no proof, nor any hint, that any Intel chipset of the x900xx Series can be used with W98SE, or, probably, any W9x/ME, except for the x915xx.

There is no such driver to be found.

The only one person stating this is the starter of this thread (no offense, galahs, forgive me).

There is virtually no other location on the internet than this thread on MSFN that makes this statement.

Regards,

Ragnar G.D.

Please, anyone note:

There is no proof, nor any hint, that any Intel chipset of the x900xx Series can be used with W98SE, or, probably, any W9x/ME, except for the x915xx.

There is no such driver to be found.

The only one person stating this is the starter of this thread (no offense, galahs, forgive me).

There is virtually no other location on the internet than this thread on MSFN that makes this statement.

Regards,

Ragnar G.D.

Hallo ragnargd,

xrayer's driver supports ICH7 chipsets 945/946/975/955/31/41. He added driver for ICH10 chipsets, but it can be that the driver doesn't work correctly. I've tested successfully the driver for G31, G41, i945. The intel onboard graphics and sound aren't supported by the driver. Edited by schwups

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, here comes another:

i want to add a passivly cooled card to my next W98SE box.

Because of compatibility with XP and W7, i want to stick to Geforce 6xxxx YZ with 256MB, and the 77.72 driver.

My other card, a Geforce 6600 APG 256MB runs very well, but, well, faster is always better.

I'd like to get something faster, still, but the only suitable model is a Geforce 6600 GT 256MB...

... PCI-E ...

(i know of four models that have this combo: GV-RX80L256V, GV-NX66T256DE, NX6600GT-TD256EZ, and 90-C1VGH0-HUAYZ. Some of them pop up now and then on ebay)

As i have suitable motherboards to choose from, no roblem with PCI-E. But as i'd have to buy that card via ebay, i'd like to make sure i don't do something stupid.

But, after reading through the many threads on GPUs, i'm even more confused than before:

Does this PCI-E-card work with the 77.72 driver? (It would be "Not OOB, but unpack, and choose manually... but, i'm not sure if that is a suggestion, or a tried and true method).

Ragnar G.D.

@ ragnarGD

I'm not an expert on anything and I'm not a gamer either,

but for what it's worth, here is some information from someone

who is using a Nvidia 6600 PCI-e video card in Windows 98SE.

There is no reference to any PCI Express cards in the nvagp.inf for the

official 77.72 driver for Windows 98SE. However the driver does

support the chip on the card. So it's a matter of inducing Windows

to load the driver anyway. Just pointing Windows to the driver files

is not enough. It will copy the files but refuse to load them -- usually.

If you are persistent, Windows will eventually display the message:

"The driver you are trying to install was not written specifically for your

hardware. Do you want to install it anyway?"

If you say yes at this point, Windows will copy the files, offer to reboot and

then load the drivers. The first time I attemped this, it took me 2 hours to induce

the message! Later I learned how to modify the inf file, so the driver installed

normally.

I added the following line to the section [Mfg]

%NVIDIA&DEV_0141.DeviceDesc% = NV30, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0141

I added the following line to the section [strings]

NVIDIA&DEV_0141.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA GeForce 6600 PCI-Express 16X"

After that all I had to do was click the Setup file in the 77.72 folder.

For me this PCI-e card gives me all I need for 2d and 3d display in 98, 2K and Linux.

Occasionally when booting into Windows 98, I will get a distorted display, but it's

quickly corrected with a change in color depth. After that there are no other issues.

Sfor has complained about frequent display distortions in DOS applications and

utilities. I have not seen this on my box. If you have DOS games, it could be a problem.

I have also used a 6800 GT card in this box. It was even more stable than the 6600 card

as far as screen distortion is concerned. However, I had other issues with it. The program

VLC would not run properly if 'Use hardware YUV-RGB conversions' was checked in preferences.

An analog WINTV card also displayed video as if no driver were installed. The game 'TuxRacer'

did not run correctly and 'Abe's Amazing Adventure' would not start at all. 3D Pinball ran O.K.

That card was a powered card. I don't know if that made a difference in either case. The problems

disappeared after I switched to the 6600.