Compatible Hardware with Windows 9x

Anyone know what happens if the disconnect option is unticked for a second DVD-ROM drive in the device manager properties settings on Windoze 98 of course.

Guest wsxedcrfv

However, I am more interested in getting an External USB CD/DVD burner for my Win 98SE notebooks. I have been looking for sometime at Amazon and Buy.com but these new slim DVD burners don't seem to get many good reviews since they get power from a the USB hookup. I want to get an "older" larger type that also has a power adapter. I'm reading that some people have sent those slim USB burners back since they didn't burn all that good. What are your thoughts about these models with external power?

I have never owned an external drive of any type (hard drive or optical drive / burner) and can't ever imagine that I would ever own such a drive - especially an optical cd/DVD burner. If I ever kept the case of my PC's closed, I might get into the habit of connecting a naked SATA drive to an external SATA port every once in a while, but that's about it.

The performance and connector reliability of USB drives does not appeal to me at all, and since my desktop PC's always have at least one CD/DVD burner installed in them, I can't ever see the need for a USB-connected optical drive. Nor can I think of any ergonomic reasons why anyone with a desktop PC and a philips (cross) screwdriver would ever want an external USB optical drive vs internally-mounted IDE or SATA drive.

I have never owned an external drive of any type (hard drive or optical drive / burner) and can't ever imagine that I would ever own such a drive - especially an optical cd/DVD burner. If I ever kept the case of my PC's closed, I might get into the habit of connecting a naked SATA drive to an external SATA port every once in a while, but that's about it.

The performance and connector reliability of USB drives does not appeal to me at all, and since my desktop PC's always have at least one CD/DVD burner installed in them, I can't ever see the need for a USB-connected optical drive. Nor can I think of any ergonomic reasons why anyone with a desktop PC and a philips (cross) screwdriver would ever want an external USB optical drive vs internally-mounted IDE or SATA drive.

I couldn't agree with you more. :thumbup

Intel Application Accelerator - Allows users to access the full capacity of hard drives that are larger than 137GB on supported Intel® chipsets with a supported operating system.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/sb/cs-009299.htm

I'm afraid, this link is no longer available,

try this one instead: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_desc.aspx?agr=&DwnldID=4857&ProductID=663

Thanks! [PeMo]

I bought Kensington Orbit Trackball with Scroll Ring recently. The USB trackball is recognized as wheel mouse by Microsoft IntelliPoint 4.12, and I can change the scroll rate without problem.

I disabled Pointer Acceleration because it causes weird mouse movement. Besides, Kensington's driver doesn't recognize the USB trackball.

Edited by halohalo

• 1 month later...

MULTIMEDIA / INPUT DEVICES

MOUSE

Windows 9x natively supports most Mouses without additional drivers.

When I replaced my wired mouse due to click problems I thought it wise to purchase 2 of a similar brand being Technika, and I am glad I did as one of them I had to replace today as the scrolling wheel started behaving badly.

Question though, as it is 3 years since the quote I wondered if anyone could confirm that any current wired mouse available in the UK such as Technika available from Tesco as the current model doesn't mention 98 at all, would it work and be compatible with 98?

Also the Microsoft wired mouse states 98 so I presume the Technika would work also as it does just now even though it did state 98 at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

You can add to the the list the Toshiba 2805-s503 using the me drivers it works great for 98se. also the Microsoft MN720 wifi adapter it even has the software for 98 wifi support. works great i think it might have been designed for 98.

are thee drivers for the intel 855PM chipset? think i might have found some http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=939

I think i might be able to get 98se to work on the the Tecra M2 as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for a wireless g mini pci card for my laptop for Win98SE.

Now, what I'm going to do is buy a wireless n mini pci first because I have a dell inspiron 1200 with Windows Xp.

So I'm thinking buy the N card first and try it out on Windows 98SE to see if it works by tweaking the INF or setup file. If not then I will just roll with the N card for WinXP and the G card for Win98SE. I need some help finding a

good G card just incase I don't get the N card working. Thanks

Guest macrylinda1

OTHERS 2

Reserved for future use.

This thread would be better on a webpage, especially when it comes to organising.

You forgot about the timing problems which stop Windows 95 from being usable on CPU speeds higher than 350 Mhz, and Windows 98 FE (and consequently Win95) from being usable on CPU speeds higher than 2.2 Ghz.

Windows 95 does not support all gamepads. At least not USB gamepads.

Edited by dencorso

You forgot about the timing problems which stop Windows 95 from being usable on CPU speeds higher than 350 Mhz, and Windows 98 FE (and consequently Win95) from being usable on CPU speeds higher than 2.2 Ghz.

Windows 95 does not support all gamepads. At least not USB gamepads.

The Windows 95 Speed limitation has been resolved. Look for FIX95CPU on this Forum.

• 2 months later...

i bought this card hkd$85

VIA VT6130 PCI-E GIGABIT NETWORK CARD works under win98se

i haven't gigabit network switch to test,just testing 10baseT/100baseTX~

it using via.com.tw offcial driver(7-Aug-2008)

"Velocity Family Gigabit LAN driver version 3.1"

• 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled on this thread as I've just bought 2x DVD±RW (±R DL) DVD burners - should arrive any day now - and I'm looking ahead.

Good to hear that they should work ok on Win98Lite/ Nero. One is a Toshiba SD-R5372 external (Freecom USB2), the other is an LG GSA-H10N with DVD-RAM capability - looking forward to trying that.

Couple of points - one reason to use USB-burners is simply a case of limited space. My workaday machines are Dell GX110's (whisper quiet) in low profile cases - easy enough to piggy-back 2 x 250Gb HDD's on the floor of each case, but there's only room for 1 x CD drive.

A second point is that no-one has yet mentioned the 2Gb filesize limit of Win98. Not normally a problem, but could well be if you ever wanted to burn DVD videos. (personally, I don't)

Lastly - to those whose burners have started to play up after a couple of hundred burns, or after a year or two - it might be worth opening-up the drive and giving the laser lens a wipe-over with a cotton-bud soaked in alcohol. There's certainly nothing to lose.

Edited by SAE140

A second point is that no-one has yet mentioned the 2Gb filesize limit of Win98. Not normally a problem, but could well be if you ever wanted to burn DVD videos. (personally, I don't)

I have burned videos over 2Gb on win98 and never had a problem. The only time you would have a problem is when you are low in disc space on the hard drive.

Lastly - to those whose burners have started to play up after a couple of hundred burns, or after a year or two - it might be worth opening-up the drive and giving the laser lens a wipe-over with a cotton-bud soaked in alcohol. There's certainly nothing to lose.

Why would this be needed as the drive is enclosed and I wouldn't have thought that dust would be able to get into the lens.

I personally believe that when these drives give up it's time to get a new one, after all they are not that expensive.

Why would this be needed as the drive is enclosed and I wouldn't have thought that dust would be able to get into the lens.

A Google for "clean DVD lens" returns 1,380,000 results. I wonder if you could be wrong ?