Compatible Hardware with Windows 9x

Guest wsxedcrfv

I was thinking of purchasing another burner, but I think that's when the problems will arise as there aren't many around that support windows 98.

I have never come across a CD burner that didn't work in win-98. And CD/DVD burners are really cheap - you should be able to get one for $30. I would never touch a USB CD-driver or CD/DVD burner, especially if we're talking about a desktop system. It's not so much that win-98 is compatible with the burner - it's the burning software. I've built about 400+ PC's in the past 15 years, and about 200 of them were win-98 systems, and I've got many CD's containing the OEM burning software that came with every burner drive. So I've got many versions of Easy CD-Creator and later when it changed to Roxio and then when all the drive makers abandoned Roxio and supplied Nero instead. I've got Roxio Easy CD Creator version 5.3.0.107 installed on this system, and the CD burner is GSA-4081b (which dates back to 2004 time frame). CD burners are like floppy drives to windows 98. Doesn't matter which one you attach to the system, they just work.

So what you're saying is if I were to go out and purchase a new internal CD/DVD Dual layer writer, and if the docs says that the system requirements don't include windows 98, you're saying that it will still work on 98 but perhaps the software won't?

Also would I be able to use older software on a new writer? for instance would Nero 6 work in conjunction with a brand new writer?

So what you're saying is if I were to go out and purchase a new internal CD/DVD Dual layer writer, and if the docs says that the system requirements don't include windows 98, you're saying that it will still work on 98 but perhaps the software won't?

Make sure you can return the burner, in case it didn't work.
Also would I be able to use older software on a new writer? for instance would Nero 6 work in conjunction with a brand new writer?
Nero v6.6.0.13 under Win98 should work with DL.

I would never touch a USB CD-driver or CD/DVD burner, especially if we're talking about a desktop system.
I have several external USB enclosures with special-purpose CD burners, which are like precious old wine, I don't want to use them on a regular basis. Being in an external enclosure, I can connect them to any of my computers, if needs be. For example, one of these old burners has a 10x better error correction than current CD/DVD burners and can read badly damaged CDs, which is very useful for archiving old CDs.
CD burners are like floppy drives to windows 98. Doesn't matter which one you attach to the system, they just work.
In general yes, for 1.44MB format. For other formats there are differences, some floppy drives for example, can handle 720kB formats, others can't. Just like a few CD burners can handle Mount Ranier format, most can't. The internal UJ-815 burner in my 10-year-old laptop can only handle 1x DVD-RAM media, but such media is not available anymore, only 2-4x media. Edited by Multibooter

Guest wsxedcrfv

Yes, yes and yes.

For one thing, I'm not sure if you are interested only in burning CD's vs DVD's, or even dual-layer DVD's, but if your interest is ONLY for burning CD's (music CD's or files to CD-R's) then you don't need to buy a dual-layer DVD burner (but I'm not sure if you can still buy single-layer DVD burners).

Second, any CD-burning software that runs on win-98 (regardless how old) will be compatible with any cd/dvd burner you buy today (but might not be able to burn dual-layer DVD's or DVD-RW disks). CD/DVD burners do not (to my knowledge) require specific versions of burning software based on their model number. And I don't think that windows (any version of windows) installs drive-specific (or even OS-specific) "burning" drivers as part of a burning software package.

I rarely burn DVD's as it is, but I do burn a fair amount of CD-R's and I've had no problems swapping CD-burners between various win-98 systems over the years.

And again, a relatively new CD/DVD burner should only cost you about $30 these days.

I just went to tigerdirect.com and looked for IDE DVD burners. There are several around $28 - $30, like this one:

Samsung SH-S222A/BEBE

Samsung TS-H662A

Lite-On IHAP122-19

Lite-ON iHAP222-06

Lite ON IHAP322-98

LG GH22NP20

LG GH22LP20 (with Lightscribe)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:482|&Sort=4

Note: I have several Lightscribe-capable burners, but have never gotten Lightscribe software to run under win-98.

(but might not be able to burn dual-layer DVD's or DVD-RW disks).

My TDK burner supports Dual Layer burning, so that means it would therefore burn dual-layer DVD's or DVD-RW disks).

My current version of Nero 6 came with my TDK burner, which incidentally can burn DVD Dual Layer discs, and the software obviously supports it.

I require a burner to burn music files as well as data on DVD DL too.

So in essence, as long as my current software does all that I want it to do, then all will be well as it will work with a new burner, which of course will have DL function as I think they all incorporate dual layer these days.

I have started to burn at a lower speed x8 and I seem to have more success.

I read that the data gets written thicker with burning at a slower speed, therefore less errors when playing on other machines.

Edited by frogman

I have started to burn at a lower speed x8 and I seem to have more success.
Then defragging prior to burning may also help. Nero CD-DVD Speed v4.7.7.15 (freeware, but it may not be available for download anymore) can test the burn quality under tab Disk Quality. If you get another burner, try to get one which is on the compatible list of Nero CD-DVD Speed v4.7.7.15, NEC and LiteOn usually are. Edited by Multibooter

If you get another burner, try to get one which is on the compatible list of Nero CD-DVD Speed v4.7.7.15, NEC and LiteOn usually are.

This goes against what wsxedcrfv said, he said "Second, any CD-burning software that runs on win-98 (regardless how old) will be compatible with any cd/dvd burner you buy today"

So why would I need to make sure the new burner would be compatible?

Nero should burn Ok, but the Disk Quality test of Nero CD-DVD Speed may not work with the burner. Nero CD-DVD Speed is an excellent piece of software written by Erik Deppe, not by Nero. I have a special purpose Plextor PX-716A in an external USB enclosure, just for "measuring" burn/disk quality, but the PlexTools for the Plextor are too complicated, I prefer the single number produced by Nero CD-DVD Speed.

I am not sure whether new burner models work with Nero CD-DVD Speed, this is old software, not available for download anymore. AFAIK, the successor software Opti Drive Control does not work under Win98. But the list of compatible drives at http://www.cdspeed2000.com/faq.html may indicate what makes and models (except for the Plextor models) may work with Nero CD-DVD Speed.

Nero CD-DVD Speed does not display disk quality on my Plextor PX-716A, the Start button stays greyed out. I would speculate that the successor software Opti Drive Control was made to work with the old Plextors so that users of the dead PlexTools would buy Opti Drive Control. Amazing that the author decided to make his new software compatible with old Plextor hardware. BTW, my Plextor PX-716A doesn't burn CDs/DVDs in a good burn quality, and it's not a good reader either, it served me mainly as a "measuring" tool.

Edited by Multibooter

Nero should burn Ok, but the Disk Quality test of Nero CD-DVD Speed may not work with the burner. Nero CD-DVD Speed is an excellent piece of software written by Erik Deppe, not by Nero. I have a special purpose Plextor PX-716A in an external USB enclosure, just for "measuring" burn/disk quality, but the PlexTools for the Plextor are too complicated, I prefer the single number produced by Nero CD-DVD Speed.

I am not sure whether new burner models work with Nero CD-DVD Speed, this is old software, not available for download anymore. AFAIK, the successor software Opti Drive Control does not work under Win98. But the list of compatible drives at http://www.cdspeed2000.com/faq.html may indicate what makes and models (except for the Plextor models) may work with Nero CD-DVD Speed.

Nero CD-DVD Speed does not display disk quality on my Plextor PX-716A, the Start button stays greyed out. I would speculate that the successor software Opti Drive Control was made to work with the old Plextors so that users of the dead PlexTools would buy Opti Drive Control. Amazing that the author decided to make his new software compatible with old Plextor hardware. BTW, my Plextor PX-716A doesn't burn CDs/DVDs in a good burn quality, and it's not a good reader either, it served me mainly as a "measuring" tool.

Thanks, but I don't really require to have the Nero CD-DVD Speed, all I want is to know that by inserting a new internal burner would work with Nero 6 and 98.

Guest wsxedcrfv

Thanks, but I don't really require to have the Nero CD-DVD Speed, all I want is to know that by inserting a new internal burner would work with Nero 6 and 98.

I am quite sure that CD/DVD burners are generic devices as seen by burning software and as such any CD/DVD burner you connect to your system will be compatible with your existing CD/DVD burning software. (Blue-ray is, I'm sure, a different story).

However, if you want to be completely sure, or want another opinion, I suggest you register with the Nero support forums and / or have a look here for more info:

http://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showforum=49

I am quite sure that CD/DVD burners are generic devices as seen by burning software and as such any CD/DVD burner you connect to your system will be compatible with your existing CD/DVD burning software. (Blue-ray is, I'm sure, a different story).

However, if you want to be completely sure, or want another opinion, I suggest you register with the Nero support forums and / or have a look here for more info:

http://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showforum=49

Thanks, I think I have asked this over there, I will check and if I haven't then I will.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

OPTICAL DISK DRIVES:

Windows 9x natively supports IDE optical drives without additional drivers.

This includes CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD Dual Layer drives.

Does this mean I can go out and purchase a Dual Layer DVD/CD writer from today's models and it should function without problems on Windows 98 S.E?

If the answer is yes, which brands/models are recommended, not interested in blueray I hasten to add.

Guest wsxedcrfv

Does this mean I can go out and purchase a Dual Layer DVD/CD writer from today's models and it should function without problems on Windows 98 S.E? If the answer is yes, which brands/models are recommended, not interested in blueray I hasten to add.

I can't believe you're still asking this question. It's been said here a few times that IDE optical drives are generic devices as far as win-98 is concerned.

Look back a few posts (post #95 I think - April 15). I posted several models of IDE drives that are less then $30 or $35.

Have a look at this:

http://www.dabs.com/products/lg-electronics-22x-dvdrw-black-oem-588K.html

Edited by wsxedcrfv

wsxedcrfv .... just came across all the discussion on CD/DVD burners ... thanks for the info on several models and the tigerdirect.com link. Never heard of them, they have quite a few models of burners at very good prices. However, I am more interested in getting an External USB CD/DVD burner for my Win 98SE notebooks. I have been looking for sometime at Amazon and Buy.com but these new slim DVD burners don't seem to get many good reviews since they get power from a the USB hookup. I want to get an "older" larger type that also has a power adapter. I'm reading that some people have sent those slim USB burners back since they didn't burn all that good. Can the same be said for an External burner that it should work with Win 98SE, even if nothing is listed in the description or on the box. Here's a burner I found at TigerBay ....

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5391204&CatId=483

What are your thoughts about these models with external power? You seem to be in the know on burners ... or thoughts or ideas from anyone else on External burners for Win 98SE. thanks ...