Compatible Hardware with Windows 9x

Win98se/ME Compatible Graphics Cards:

ATi:

Radeon X800pro (R420 core) --- AGP (supported since CATALYST 4.11 BETA)

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...mp;folderID=377

My X800pro (R420 core) works for almost 3 years on Win98se. However, a better VGA cooler is necessary for temperature issue.

NVIDIA:

GeForce 6800GT (NV40 core) ---AGP (supported since ForceWare 61.76)

Win98se/ME Compatible Sound Cards:

Yamaha:

Yamaha YMF744 --- PCI (VxD/WDM driver available)

http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/helpce...card_Whelp.html

VxD driver may not pass the DirectSound test in Dxdiag. Besides, the Legacy Sound System(for DOS games) conflicts with PC version of Final Fantasy VIII.

C-Media:

C-Media CMI8738 --- Onboard (VxD/WDM driver available, but the compatibility for PC games is not very well)

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/?q=en/driver

As far as I know, original Audigy 2 ZS also supports Win98se, but I only have original Audigy 2 :rolleyes:

This thread would be better on a webpage, especially when it comes to organising.

You forgot about the timing problems which stop Windows 95 from being usable on CPU speeds higher than 350 Mhz, and Windows 98 FE (and consequently Win95) from being usable on CPU speeds higher than 2.2 Ghz.

Windows 95 does not support all gamepads. At least not USB gamepads.

Maybe that can happen once we get a good collection of compatible hardware :)

The beauty of this system for now is we can get members input.

Is there any fixes for the timing issues on Win95 or Win98?

Once more, really nice initiative galahs! :yes:

I made a small hardware list myself in last february. You can check it on win9x4ever.online.fr...

Anyway, here's what you can add :

Chipsets / Mobos :

Uli and SYS chipsets should be added (I'll check in detail what still supports 9x and what doesn't since february)

Uli M1695 is compatible with w98 (Asrock Dual-sata 2/ Dual-Vsta mobo)

Audio :

All Realtek AC'97 Audio Codecs have drivers for all 9x systems (but not high definition chips)

Realtek RTL8110SC(L) chipset works on 98SE and ME

Wifi :

Linksys WMP54 series is fine with 98

Ralink based chipsets are supposed to work on 9x but I've had problems with them. Maybe just my hardware... Needs some testing. (MSI PC54G)

Network adapters :

all 10/100mbs I know work perfectly on 98. Any basic Ndis driver does the job anyway in most cases. I don't know about 1000mbs PCI v2 cards though...

Printers :

Laserjet 1100A (also a B&W scanner)

Deskjet 660C

Lexmark P3150 (also a scanner)

Graphic tablets:

Wacom Intuos2, Intuos, Graphire2, Graphire, PenPartner 1998, ArtPad II, ArtPad, UD-II (UltraPad/Digitizer II), UD Series, Cintiq 18SX, Cintiq 15X, PL-250-500

(it seems PenPartner, Volito, Graphire4, Graphire3, Graphire Bluetooth, Wireless Pen Tablet, Cintiq 17SX/PL-710, DTF-510, Penabled Tablet PC require Win2k or higher)

I'm certainly forgetting stuff...

Anyway, like who you know would say: HTH... :P

I made a complete list of X series, because the compatibility with Win98SE may differ by different graphics core or bridge chip.

Some products may conflict with Win98SE.

ATi

X800 series --- AGP 8x (R420 core, supported since CATALYST 4.11 BETA) --- X800pro works without problem

X300, X600, X700 series --- PCIe (RV370, RV380, and RV410 core, supported since CATALYST 4.11 BETA) ---

X800 series --- PCIe (R423 or R430 core, supported since CATALYST 5.2) ---

X850 series --- PCIe (R480 core, supported since CATALYST 5.2) --- X850XT works on GIGABYTE GA-K8A480M-9, but CATALYST 6.2 is recommended during installation

Xpress 200 series --- Onboard (RS400 or RS480 core, supported since CATALYST 5.2) --- works (RS480 on GIGABYTE GA-K8A480M-9)

Xpress 200 series --- Onboard (RS482 core, supported since CATALYST 5.9) ---

X550 series --- PCIe (RV370 core, supported by CATALYST 6.2) ---

X700 series --- AGP 8x (RV410 core with Rialto bridge chip, supported by CATALYST 6.2) ---

X800 series --- AGP 8x (R430 core with Rialto bridge chip, maybe supported by CATALYST 6.2?) ---

X850 series --- AGP 8x (latest R481 core, supported by CATALYST 6.2) ---

-----------

MOTHERBOARDS(Chipsets):

ALi/ULi:

M1647 C1/M1535D+ A1 (work)

M1689 (IDE and USB1.1/2.0 work, SATA HDD driver is available)

M1573 southbridge chip (IDE and USB1.1 work, no SATA or USB2.0 support under Win98SE)

M1697 (unknown, no SATA support under Win98SE)

SiS:

SiS 748/SiS 963L (work)

CONTROLLER CARDS:

USB2 & Firewire Controllers:

BAFO BF-460 USB2.0 PCI CARD (NEC USB2.0 Host Controller)

Edited by halohalo

• 2 months later...

Soundcards

M-Audio Audiophile 24/96. - Appears to work even better than in NT5.

Yamaha 724. - An old PCI card. Also provides basic 8-bit sound, OPL-3 FM, XG Level 1 synthesis to DOS programs. OPL-3 also works in pure DOS.

Printers

Lexmark E352dn/E250dn Laser Printer. - TCP/IP printing requires additional driver on Win98.

Network interfaces

Marvell Yukon 88E8001.

Hard disks

VIA VT6410 RAID controller, available on GA-8I915P Duo for example. It has driver for Win98 and can work with hard disks exceeding 127 GB independently of ESDi_506. Perhaps other VIA RAID controllers are also working.

What drivers does one need to properly install Win98 on the new Intel chipsets you have listed here?

Edited by j7n

about that 350mhz timing issues, i installed 95b on a celeron 1.3ghz but havent installed the update is there meant to be some error message?

also the mention about 95 not supporting hdds bigger then 32gb isnt that wrong

• 2 weeks later...

Awergh

The 350MHz timing problem in Win 95x was only relevant to AMD CPU and yes MS and AMD have a patch for this.

The next timing problem was at 2.1GHz and effected all CPU's as well as both Win 95x and Win 98FE there is a patch for Win 98 FE but not Win 95x as MS in there stupidity had already decided it was obsolete. Though I did see a thread here where someone was trying to patch 95 with the files from MS 98 patch.

I can't recall if it worked (I don't think it would).

32GB was the limit for FAT32 in Win 95OSR2x personally I not tried to use a drive larger than 30GB for my Win 95 set up. Though I may now experiment and try it with a larger drive.

HTH

Edited by niknak

• 3 weeks later...

USB + Firewire

ST-Lab f-116: USB2.0, Firewire400

TV tuners

all BT8x8 devices - driver support at www.iulabs.com (Ivan Uskovs Tweaked drivers)

CX88 - unsupported tuner, but It seems that Analog section is working correctly when installed manually.

xceive3028 - analog + dvb-t tuner - i found a driver, but i miss the hardware

DVB-T demodulators - drivers for Win9x are only few and cause BSOD or does not seem to work.

Edited by Offler

• 4 months later...

You can remove the Palit x800 GTO AGP from the list (r420 - vendor:1002 id:4a49). No way to make it work with Catalyst 5.9 or 6.2. It's listed in the *.inf and installs correctly but the driver never starts correctly. :(

galahs, your list says x800 Pro (r420) is supported and works fine. I don't know if this is just the Palit or every similar x800 but it sure doesn't work!

You can remove the Palit x800 GTO AGP from the list (r420 - vendor:1002 id:4a49). No way to make it work with Catalyst 5.9 or 6.2. It's listed in the *.inf and installs correctly but the driver never starts correctly. :(

galahs, your list says x800 Pro (r420) is supported and works fine. I don't know if this is just the Palit or every similar x800 but it sure doesn't work!

Anyway, I think it is better to add the X800GTO AGP (R420 core) to the incompatibility list.

Maybe it is not compatible with Win98SE or the main board.

The Palit X800 GTO AGP uses R420 core, but it was released since the end of 2005.

The revised card is different with old X800 PRO.

My X800 PRO(X80 PRO by ELSA) already works over 3 years, and it runs faster on Win98SE.