Compatible Hardware with Windows 9x

Windows 98SE w/ 98SE2ME

Siig JU-2NG011 Gigabit ethernet/3 port firewire/3 port USB 2.0 card.

Siig SC-PE4B12 UltraATA133 IDE controller

The driver for the RealTek 8169 ethernet chip that is on Siig's website does not work. Or at least I couldn't get it to. I found a newer driver on opendrivers.com and got it working. Firewire works out of the box. USB drivers work from Siig's website. EDIT: I forgot to mention, NUSB driver works much better.

The IDE card enables those old motherboards with BIOS's that don't recognize large hard drives correctly to see the entire hard drive. DOS boots from this card no problem, for some reason I couldn't get any NT based OS to boot from a HDD attached to this card.

which reminds me, none of the sis 760 drivers that i tested on w98SE worked on sis's site, either giving a black screen or not allowing me to change the resolution. i had to manually find a older version which only worked somewhat, allowed increasing screen solution but occasional random freezes, though i don't know if the freeze issues were because of the gpu driver specifically or other factors. i think there was a even an older driver that i found to which i may or may not have tested that had the same hardware or compatible id but mentioned sis 740, the specific laptop i used was the averatec 4155-eh1. 

• 2 months later...

Can you help me sort out the information you provided in this thread?

"I went back to trying the utility that's on the AWLC6080 cd and it worked on second install. The cd has a win98 inf. but not the 9x sys file..."

So are we to understand that you added this driver...

"Ralink made a driver for it named rt28609x.sys."

...and that this provided the missing 9x.sys file for the CD-install to work under Win98/SE?

or that

"Sitecom wl-180-software.exe has a utility (install and run in w2k mode)

if missing stub is added to Kstub822 netapi32.dll section.   ie DsGetDcNameA="

provided the missing 9x.sys file? or was this uninstalled prior to attempting the second factory CD-install?

Or is nothing sorted out? and everything you attempted needs to be repeated?

Was the second factory CD-install performed with additional compatibility selected (ie. Win2K)?

Did you install the TI cardbus updates from the MDgX website that you were referred to by jaclaz prior to installing this card...

"At http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm there are 2 related bugfixes listed, and after installing them, the original bugfix would not cause nubs 3.3 to hang the system anymore:

a ) "Microsoft Windows 98 SE PCMCIA Adapter Code 10 Device Manager Error MSHDC.INF, IOS.VXD 4.10.2224 + PCI.VXD 4.10.2227 Fix:"

b ) "Microsoft Windows 98 SE Laptop PCs PCI.VXD 4.10.2228 Fix: MUST install PCMCIA Adapter Code 10 Fix above FIRST!"

...along with microsoftTI.inf from 9/02/2002? Can you provide a link for this last update too?

Thanks

In case nobody else has a link to a newer version of MicrosoftTI.inf for cardbus controller. It's the only link I could find,  download the exe package at bottom of page  

http://search.casnavi.nec.co.jp/download/pc/module/sabun/200110/mate/webupme.htm

• 3 months later...

I'm looking for a way to use wireless Wifi on my Dell Latitude D600. Does anyone know of any good Mini PCI Wifi Cards? Cardbus or USB wireless wifi adapters works for me too. Please only list those with WPA2 support!

I found only the Dell Wireless Pro 2100 which would work, but it probably doesn't have WPA2 for Windows 98SE/ME, but it does for XP. Can anyone confirm this?

• 1 month later...

I saw on different sites a PCI card with w98se drivers, that give two PS/2-ports, and, depending on model, either two internal, or two external USB 2.0 ports. Might be interesting for some. Didn't test it out yet, but ordered one.

--> This card did NOT work. Note: I sent it back, and got my money back, so trader and OEM were all right...

Edited by ragnargd
Result of test...

• 2 months later...

The SIIG SoundWave 5.1 PCI and possibly the SoundWave 7.1 PCI appear to be the only Windows 9x compatible PCI Sounds Cards still available at my local MicroCenter.
They sell Version 3 of the Card which supposedly does not support 9x and does not come with the Drivers, but their Website has the Version 1 Drivers which do support 9x and work with the Version 3 Card.
They also have a VXD Driver for Windows 95 but I have not tested it. The Version 3 Card reports the same VEN, DEV, SUBSYS  and REV Numbers as the Version 1 Card but lacks the MIDI/GAME Port.

• 2 weeks later...

I've personally put Win98 on an IBM ThinkPad T42.

Things that were working:

- Intel 855PM Chipset

- Intel Pentium M 745 CPU (stepping numbers says it is a Pentium 3 and even Linux in old flavours detect it as a Pentium 3)

- ATi Mobility Radeon 7500

- Intel PRO/1000 MT Gigabit Mobile Ethernet Adapter

- SoundMAX AC'97 Sound Chip

- IBM Integrated Bluetooth III

- IBM 56k Modem

- IBM Fast Infrared

- Texas Instruments PCMCIA Slots

Things that weren't working:

- Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG WLAN Adapter (Intel never released a 9x driver for such card)

My laptop was running flawlessy Win98SE on 768MB DDR with no VCache or paging tweaks.

• 3 weeks later...

The Inland UED011 USB to Ethernet Adapter will work with Windows 98SE.
The documentation and drivers that come with it only support XP and above.
You can get the 98/2k Driver from the support page at www.davicom.com.tw.
This is the only such adapter, I know of, currently available at my local Microcenter Store.
The only one that lists 98 support doesn't work.

• 1 month later...

I got tired of messing around with printer ink cartridges so I bought a HP LaserJet M251nw.  It works in 98SE with the HP PCL5 9x driver already installed in 98SE.  I connect to it using wireless through my router with the HP network printing port monitor software for 9x. (you can find it here in another topic)

I'm not sure it will work through USB connection--the only thing 98SE detects is a USB storage device.

• 1 month later...
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 8:48 PM, cov3rt said:

good news! i was able to get a working driver for the mobility x600 graphics. i downloaded the catalyst 4.11 for windows 98, selected have disk option from device manager, clicked the c8_19079 inf file which gave me a list of display adapters, i selected the abit radeon x600xt 128 MB, it installed all files, i then rebooted back into the desktop and all i needed to do was manually change the resolution and currently i have it set at 1024x768 in 32 bit color, but it can go up to 1280x1024. dxdiag also shows it using approximately 126.5 MB of memory :)

Do you still have this particular system and OS installation up and running? If so, I'd like to ask you some questions about it.

What exact ATI package file did you download and from where?
What is the exact VEN&DEV hardware ID of your Mobility Radeon X600 device?
What exactly was this laptop? (Forgive me, I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere before but since so much time has passed let's state it again for the record.) :angel

I ask because I am attempting to get Windows 9x up and running on an HP ZD8000 laptop that uses the X600 graphics controller, and it absolutely refuses to work with any ATI package I have tried all the way from Catalyst 4.11Beta to Catalyst 6.2. As far as I can tell from Google you are the only person to ever get an ATI 9x driver working with the Mobility X600.

http://www.opendrivers.com/download/driver-18305.html

(use Backup Download Server to download)

These are the drivers, do what cov3rt did, and maybe it will work.

"ABIT RADEON X600XT 128M" = RV380_ENU, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3E50&SUBSYS_0001147B
"ABIT RADEON X600XT 128M Secondary" = RV380_ENU, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3E70&SUBSYS_0000147B

Edited by MrMateczko

16 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Do you still have this particular system and OS installation up and running? If so, I'd like to ask you some questions about it.

What exact ATI package file did you download and from where?
What is the exact VEN&DEV hardware ID of your Mobility Radeon X600 device?
What exactly was this laptop? (Forgive me, I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere before but since so much time has passed let's state it again for the record.) :angel

I ask because I am attempting to get Windows 9x up and running on an HP ZD8000 laptop that uses the X600 graphics controller, and it absolutely refuses to work with any ATI package I have tried all the way from Catalyst 4.11Beta to Catalyst 6.2. As far as I can tell from Google you are the only person to ever get an ATI 9x driver working with the Mobility X600.

for the dell latitude d810 laptop i used with the mobility radeon x600 gpu, i believe i used the following graphics device below from the "c8_19079" inf file to get it working, i do not have the system anymore.

however, just now, after downloading a package for the hp zd8000 laptop's graphics driver, i noticed that it did not mention the ven&dev i provided above, also i checked the catalyst 4.11 package i had for 9x that i used for the above device and it did not mention any of the devices below, even without the subsys portion. im not sure on catalyst 6.2, i don't think i used that ever for mobility x600 devices, i renamed that catalyst folder to include radeon express 200m so i probably used it specifically for the radeon express 200m but not the mobility x600. it's possible your graphics device is a newer version that doesn't have a 98SE driver or maybe there is a supported driver we haven't found yet?

"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600" = ati2mtag_M24, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_3082103C
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600 " = ati2mtag_M24, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_3082103C

Edited by cov3rt

12 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

http://www.opendrivers.com/download/driver-18305.html

(use Backup Download Server to download)

These are the drivers, do what cov3rt did, and maybe it will work.

"ABIT RADEON X600XT 128M Secondary" = RV380_ENU, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3E70&SUBSYS_0000147B

Already tried that. :}

4 hours ago, cov3rt said:

for the dell latitude d810 laptop i used with the mobility radeon x600 gpu, i believe i used the following graphics device below from the "c8_19079" inf file to get it working, i do not have the system anymore.

however, just now, after downloading a package for the hp zd8000 laptop's graphics driver, i noticed that it did not mention the ven&dev i provided above, also i checked the catalyst 4.11 package i had for 9x that i used for the above device and it did not mention any of the devices below, even without the subsys portion. im not sure on catalyst 6.2, i don't think i used that ever for mobility x600 devices, i renamed that catalyst folder to include radeon express 200m so i probably used it specifically for the radeon express 200m but not the mobility x600. it's possible your graphics device is a newer version that doesn't have a 98SE driver or maybe there is a supported driver we haven't found yet?

"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600" = ati2mtag_M24, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_3082103C
"ATI MOBILITY RADEON X600 " = ati2mtag_M24, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_3082103C

No, as I mentioned much earlier there was no official 9x driver for the Mobility Radeon X600 although other X600 devices were supported. Your report of the Mobility X600 working seems to be the only one out there, although there is a report of an X700 working at least partially.

So, now you seem to not remember specifically whether you actually had the X600 on the Dell Latitude D810 working or not..?:unsure:

Some searching on eBay reveals that the Mobility X600 device for the Dell D810 machines is removable and replaceable while the one for my HP ZD8000 is built on the motherboard.

I wonder if the VBIOS of the two are interchangeable? But that's irrelevant if the 9x Catalyst drivers don't in fact work with the Dell either... :wacko:

15 hours ago, LoneCrusader said:

Already tried that. :}

No, as I mentioned much earlier there was no official 9x driver for the Mobility Radeon X600 although other X600 devices were supported. Your report of the Mobility X600 working seems to be the only one out there, although there is a report of an X700 working at least partially.

So, now you seem to not remember specifically whether you actually had the X600 on the Dell Latitude D810 working or not..?:unsure:

Some searching on eBay reveals that the Mobility X600 device for the Dell D810 machines is removable and replaceable while the one for my HP ZD8000 is built on the motherboard.

I wonder if the VBIOS of the two are interchangeable? But that's irrelevant if the 9x Catalyst drivers don't in fact work with the Dell either... :wacko:

there may not be an "official" 9x driver for the mobility radeon x600 but somehow i got it to work through my experience and setup. i am 100 percent sure i used the mobility x600 on the dell latitude d810 and it was working fine as previously mentioned in my postings so you don't have to worry about that part. yes, the dell latitude d810 can have interchangeable graphics processing units, some come with the mobility x300 i believe and some come with the mobility x600 which again, i am 100 percent sure i used the x600 in the d810's i had and all of them worked fine, it was just a little tricky to get it working at first which my previous posts explain the reasoning to this, the part i was unsure on wasn't on whether i used the mobility x600, it was which specific device i choose in the inf file when installing the driver for the mobility x600 as there were several different mobility x600 models from different brands and / or ven / dev listings. i just had to figure out which one worked and finally found the right device.

i'm not familiar with the vbios part. the only difference i can tell you is that the zd8000 uses a different AND possibly more updated mobility x600 chip that isn't supported on 98SE than the one found on the dell latitude d810 that is and this is why you couldn't get it to work, as there IS a difference in the hardware ven / dev. a similar comparison is found in the linksys wpc11 wifi cardbus adapters, versions 4 and newer don't seem to work on windows 95 which are based on the rtl8180 chip, although in this case, they have the same pci / ven / dev, only the chipset is what seems to matter. i tested version 1 of wpc11 which has the weakest performance of the wpc11 models but worked fine on windows 95 osr 2.5.

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 5:13 PM, cov3rt said:

there may not be an "official" 9x driver for the mobility radeon x600 but somehow i got it to work through my experience and setup. i am 100 percent sure i used the mobility x600 on the dell latitude d810 and it was working fine as previously mentioned in my postings so you don't have to worry about that part. yes, the dell latitude d810 can have interchangeable graphics processing units, some come with the mobility x300 i believe and some come with the mobility x600 which again, i am 100 percent sure i used the x600 in the d810's i had and all of them worked fine, it was just a little tricky to get it working at first which my previous posts explain the reasoning to this, the part i was unsure on wasn't on whether i used the mobility x600, it was which specific device i choose in the inf file when installing the driver for the mobility x600 as there were several different mobility x600 models from different brands and / or ven / dev listings. i just had to figure out which one worked and finally found the right device.

i'm not familiar with the vbios part. the only difference i can tell you is that the zd8000 uses a different AND possibly more updated mobility x600 chip that isn't supported on 98SE than the one found on the dell latitude d810 that is and this is why you couldn't get it to work, as there IS a difference in the hardware ven / dev. a similar comparison is found in the linksys wpc11 wifi cardbus adapters, versions 4 and newer don't seem to work on windows 95 which are based on the rtl8180 chip, although in this case, they have the same pci / ven / dev, only the chipset is what seems to matter. i tested version 1 of wpc11 which has the weakest performance of the wpc11 models but worked fine on windows 95 osr 2.5.

No ATI driver version, or device "INF installation path" from the ATI packages, or even a modified INF based on the working X700 report and the Windows XP INF for the X600 works with my HP ZD8000 Mobility Radeon X600 after hours upon hours of experimentation. :wacko:

I even replaced the VBIOS ROM of my system with the one from Dell but it causes the system to become unbootable. Had to recover the original BIOS with an emergency floppy.

Looks like this is a dead end...

(And we've gone way off the main topic here! lol...)