Compatible Hardware with Windows 9x

I had hopes that the Airlink AWLC6080 300N (draft n) card and others like it would work but it seems there's no working utility.  Ralink made a driver for it named rt28609x.sys  I found it searching for AzureWave AW-NE766 Wireless LAN Driver V1.1.0.0 for Windows XP 

http://www.asus.com/support/Download/14/8/0/40/17/ Has anyone been down this road already?

I went back to trying the utility that's on the AWLC6080 cd and it worked on second install :w00t: .   The cd has a win98 inf. but not the 9x sys file.  It's connected at 130Mbps and WPA and WPA2 seem to be functional-I haven't tested it. 

• 1 month later...

Can you help me sort out the information you provided in this thread?

"I went back to trying the utility that's on the AWLC6080 cd and it worked on second install. The cd has a win98 inf. but not the 9x sys file..."

So are we to understand that you added this driver...

"Ralink made a driver for it named rt28609x.sys."

...and that this provided the missing 9x.sys file for the CD-install to work under Win98/SE?

or that

"Sitecom wl-180-software.exe has a utility (install and run in w2k mode)

if missing stub is added to Kstub822 netapi32.dll section.   ie DsGetDcNameA="

provided the missing 9x.sys file? or was this uninstalled prior to attempting the second factory CD-install?

Or is nothing sorted out? and everything you attempted needs to be repeated?

Was the second factory CD-install performed with additional compatibility selected (ie. Win2K)?

Did you install the TI cardbus updates from the MDgX website that you were referred to by jaclaz prior to installing this card...

"At http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm there are 2 related bugfixes listed, and after installing them, the original bugfix would not cause nubs 3.3 to hang the system anymore:
a ) "Microsoft Windows 98 SE PCMCIA Adapter Code 10 Device Manager Error MSHDC.INF, IOS.VXD 4.10.2224 + PCI.VXD 4.10.2227 Fix:"
b ) "Microsoft Windows 98 SE Laptop PCs PCI.VXD 4.10.2228 Fix: MUST install PCMCIA Adapter Code 10 Fix above FIRST!"

...along with microsoftTI.inf from 9/02/2002? Can you provide a link for this last update too?

Thanks

Edited by from50sand60s

I'll try to clarify.  I tried these utilities with KernelEx installed.

'So are we to understand that you added this driver...

"Ralink made a driver for it named rt28609x.sys."

...and that this provided the missing 9x.sys file for the CD-install to work under Win98/SE?'

Correct, actually the utility was running in the background on the first install but I didn't realize it, the utility icon doesn't show up in taskbar until the card is inserted.  KernelEx was at default setting. It also installs from cd with KernelEx disabled.

The sitecome wl180-software.exe doesn't have the 9x driver(rt28609x.sys) but the utility can work by adding the mentioned stub.  But it will only have WEP and not WPA/WPA2 because it has a separate driver for WPA which was not written for 9x in this package.  It's the best utility I've seen so far-very informative, graphical.  This utility can work with chipsets rt2500,rt61,rt73,rt2860,rt2870,rt2070,rt3070,rt2090,rt3090.

I did not use MDgX updates, the link provided by jaclaz indicated microsoft had made an updated driver for TI cardbus.  I don't have a link saved for microsoftTI.inf. 

@jaclaz  I'm now able to remove and install cardbus adapter without system hang, BSOD, or delayed startup. Thank you

"...screen slowly fades to all white..."  --probable because graphics card is sharing interrupt 11 with too many devices.   Interrupts 3-7,9,10 are free!? I need help with this one.  My temporary solution was to insert cardbus adapter only after windows loads.  sorry for the off topic

I didn't think I'd see the day but there's Gigabyte GN WI30N wireless n mini pci on Ebay now ($5.49).  It was only available to system integrators. It has the rt2860 chipset and the 9x driver is on the cd.  However the utility only installs in KernelEx w2k mode with only WEP available-and only seems to be in wireless g mode. 

But if you happen to get the Airlink AWLC6080 cd , that utility will work with this card by simply adding the device id to the Airlink pci section of the inf file.  The fastest connection seems be 130Mbps.  I have tested with WPA2 connection-works fine.  Connects to internet immediately -no waiting. There's 3 antennae connections on the card so MIMO is an extra benefit.

Edited by farfigs11

this may not be the best question here but does anyone know how to properly configure and make pcmcia wifi cards work on windows 95 / 98? i put the intel pro wireless 2011b card in a laptop build with w98se and was never able to get it work though to wierd resource problems. when i checked device manager, it did not even let me change the automatic settings or go into the box, it just showed kind of a glitched or messed up tab of the resources as if you put two of the same boxes in one and even in safe mode, it still looked the same. i was simply wondering if anyone has had this issue and what could be the cause and how to fix it? i dont have the laptop anymore and therefore i cant give much other info. could it perhaps have anything to do with updating the pcmcia controllers / cardbus adapter? also, when configuring pcmcia devices from the start, what options would i select, because it mentioned something about conflicting 16 bit with 32 bit during the windows 98 setup and also on windows 95 and some other stuff and i just clicked yes and no to some of the messages but i dont remember exactly what they meant. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link for the Airlink101 300N utility.  It installs with KernelEx disabled so I'm assuming it's the same as the cd and WPA/WPA2 will work.  It looks like it will work for the pci/mini pci version rt28609x.sys and usb rt28709x.sys.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071110223821/http://www.airlink101.com/support/index.php?cmd=files&id=103

I have for months now a ASUS P5GD1 PRO mobo lying around and I am looking for a PCI-E gpu that should work without giving this annoying 'protection error' !!

I have a ATI card that works but it has only 64MB and it looks like as if it will fell apart the next time I touch it. The NVidia is giving me the pe-bsod.

Any suggestions or is this more a trial and error situation ?

Edited by MiKl

does anyone know if there are usb wireless adapter drivers for windows 95? i would like to try out a few usb wifi cards i found which mention windows 95 in the documents but i don't think any of them mention windows 95 on the boxes that they ship in or on the official sites, the few i researched that may have support are d link dwl-120, dwl-122, IBM Thinkpad R40 FX-C2039 802.11b Actiontec Wireless Card 91P7261 ( actually a mini pci card but would be nice to have for a laptop )

another usb one was the actiontec brand which had windows 95 in the document and win9x which i hear a lot of the time but i don't know if win9x means windows 98 first and second edition or it can also mean windows 95 / 98/ se? -

[PRISM_USB1]            ; Win9x
 AddReg         = PRISM_USB1.reg, COMMON_USB.reg, COMMON_NDIS.reg, COMMON.reg
 CopyFiles      = PRISM_DRIVER.copy, PRISM_APPLET.copy, PRISM_NDI.copy

PRISM_USB1         = "Actiontec USB 802.11b Wireless Adapter"
Edited by cov3rt

As far as I know no such things exist for Windows 95. Only USB Storage and the small handful of older devices such as scanners that originally came with 95-compatible drivers are known to work when connected by USB under 95.

It may be possible to support such devices but they would require the ultra-experimental Hybrid 95/98 system that rloew and I developed.

Edited by LoneCrusader

does anyone know if there is a driver for the ati mobility x600 on 98SE? this is for the dell latitude d810 laptop. the driver doesn't have to be official.

so far i tried a few setup installer packages and they would give an error at the end of setup that the inf is not found or some other error that i don't exactly remember. what i have not tried YET is the official dell one from their site which is supposed to be designed for xp i think and i may test out a older firegl v3100 driver because it fell under the same driver from dell's site. i also looked up the hardware id below and apparently the firegl v3200 also falls under the same hardware id. 

hardware id-

VEN_1002&DEV_3150&SUBSYS_20021028&REV_00

well i now tried the official dell driver but the setup did not detect the inf, same with the firegl v3100, i also tried to install the graphics as the ati 9600 because apparently it is near indentical to the ati x600 but that route did not work and now the laptop is really messed up lol. drive c and d are both using ms dos compatibility mode and regardless of going into safe mode to fix the resource conflict that the pci controller has, it makes no difference, it either will hang at the loading screen or if i dont touch the settings, remove the controller and go into windows, it will detect it and ask for reboot and still have the same problem. god windows 95 and 98 are a pain to work with :(

i did mess with the graphics settings when first installing windows 98 for this dell latitude d810 laptop because it detected two and since i wanted the ati x600 only, and not for the other display adapter to conflict, i made it so that the adapter does not show in all hardware profiles through device manager and disabled it and from there, there was some other things i fiddled with and made it so that only one display adapter showed which by the hardware id, it came up as the mobility x600. so could it be that fiddling with the adapters possibly created problems in installation of the video driver? but like i said, i did check the hardware id and it came up as the mobility x600 so whats up? 

my expertise and problem solving is limited so im most likely gonna have to reinstall the os as the easiest route at this point, but before then, is there anything i can know that could help me prevent the problems i've been having? also forget to mention, i limited the vcache to 0 for both min and maxfilecache and set maxphyspage=10000 for maximum compatibility, also installed chipset drivers and almost all official updates before the graphics driver problem. 

also recently in my builds, i checked the esdi_506.pdr file and noticed it mentioning a lot of errors like cylinder mismatch, something to do with irq conflict and other stuff, all of these builds had 80 GB hard drives or larger and possibly pheonix bit shift bios which from what i researched could bring about the problems i experienced. i never had any of these issues with virtual memory disabling out of nowhere or weird problems with hard drives 40 GB and under when formatted at 31.5 GB or lower through fdisk in win95 or 98 because fdisk wont format 64 GB or higher, and when you try to set a fixed amount and not the maximum size, it just gives you a max of like 10750 megabytes or something like that and then shows the max size within the operating system. also i had no luck applying the fdisk patch for 64 GB or higher drives or the other update 243450 for large ide drives in w98se, the updates made no difference in solving any problems in my recent windows 98 builds. 

the only easiest solution i would think of is to just buy or use computers with 60 GB hard drives or lower and format them to about 31 GB or lower in fdisk. and if necessary, apply the patches that i previously used and THEN put in secondary or other storage if needed, assuming there are no problems when doing that.

i also forgot to mention that i tried to use an alternative to fdisk called freedos to create a fixed amount from the 80 GB hard drive i used and although it created a 31 GB partition, i was not able to get windows 98 to setup after formatting the drive, giving an error.  

Edited by cov3rt

I probably can't even begin to address all of your issues, but you need to concentrate on one problem at a time for starters. ;)

First of all it appears that laptop uses an Intel 915 chipset. Prepare yourself for resource conflicts that may or may not be fixable. The 875 chipset is the last chipset that truly gets along properly with Windows 9x.

Second if the laptop has more than 512MB of RAM and you are determined to use it, don't rely on "tweaks" to fix it. I was never able to get any of these "RAM tweaks" to work on any system of mine. I purchased rloew's RAM Patch and never looked back.

Third, if the hard drive or optical drive in the machine are connected by SATA, you will either have to hope that the BIOS will allow you to set "Legacy IDE" mode for the drives, or you will need rloew's SATA patch as well in order for them to function properly and not run in "Compatibility Mode."

Fourth, when installing your OS of choice, always disable any and all possible onboard devices in the BIOS, then once you have your OS set up, re-enable them one at a time, installing drivers for each separately. This should help you narrow down problem devices.

Use the last 9x version of the ATI Catalyst driver, 6.2 I believe. If that doesn't work verify that your Device ID is listed in the INF file for the driver. If not, add it.