Compatible Hardware with Windows 9x

For those interested in a cardbus WiFi adapter, the Airlink101 AWLC3028 works fine on a Toshiba 7020CT laptop running 98SE. The adapter is 802.11B/G compatible, and will do WPA2-PSK and WPA-PSK security.

Their similar PCI wireless cards work also, but leave a couple processes running after you run the config utility that may be killed if your CPU is loaded heavily {or doesn't have enough horsepower}. They both use a Realtek chipset.

The USB<=>ethernet adapter works also.

Edited by tomw

• 1 month later...

The drivers are missing function NdisQueryBufferSafe sad.gif

Do you have the card, if so have you tried it with the above files?

It worked fine for me on ME, used Opera quite a bit through the wifi. There's an entry for NdisQueryBufferSafe in the .sys file, looked for it with a hex editor.

cheers, Pete.

Is editing a sys file to change NdisQueryBufferSafe back to NdisQueryBuffer possibe/allowed?    I'm comparing a 9x driver to NT-looks like it's the only difference. I don't have software to save the changes made to a sys file.

I found this while searching for atheros drivers.  You'll see the files are almost the same size.  The same three calls are made for NdisQueryBufferSafe as for NdisQueryBuffer in 9x.  It looks like a good candidate to play around with.   I have some other drivers in mind for my hardware.

ftp://lizzi555.dyndns.org/Download/WLAN/Atheros/3_3_0_156/Driver/

The drivers are missing function NdisQueryBufferSafe sad.gif

Do you have the card, if so have you tried it with the above files?

It worked fine for me on ME, used Opera quite a bit through the wifi. There's an entry for NdisQueryBufferSafe in the .sys file, looked for it with a hex editor.

cheers, Pete.

Is editing a sys file to change NdisQueryBufferSafe back to NdisQueryBuffer possibe/allowed? I'm comparing a 9x driver to NT-looks like it's the only difference. I don't have software to save the changes made to a sys file.

Changing the name will not work. The two Functions have different numbers of arguments.

A small Kernel Mode translation routine would need to be hooked into the WDM Export Tables.

• 2 months later...

I have successfully installed Windows 98SE on a MSI Z87-G41 Motherboard with an Intel Core i7-4770K CPU.

To Install Windows 98SE:

You will need to add your own Video, Audio and probably Ethernet Cards.

Use "SETUP /p i" to avoid ACPI Problems.

You will need my SATA Patch.

I have found an Ethernet Driver that works with the built-in Ethernet but it reports errors and only supports 10/100.

You will need my RAM Limitation Patch with the /M Option and SPLIT8MB if you use it.

A similar approach will allow the installation of Windows ME.

Edited by rloew

For those interested in a cardbus WiFi adapter, the Airlink101 AWLC3028 works fine on a Toshiba 7020CT laptop running 98SE.  The adapter is 802.11B/G compatible, and will do WPA2-PSK and WPA-PSK security.

Their similar PCI wireless cards work also, but leave a couple processes running after you run the config utility  that may be killed if your CPU is loaded heavily {or doesn't have enough horsepower}.  They both use a Realtek chipset.

I found the AWLC3028 on ebay and gave it a try on my 2004 era Dell laptop's cardbus.  All have same problem- "server not found" even after disabling security.  Utility works fine, driver loads fine.  Browsers don't want to connect.  I wasn't too surprised; I expect this kind of thing anymore.  Maybe it's a case of 'install drivers before updates'.   

For those interested in a cardbus WiFi adapter, the Airlink101 AWLC3028 works fine on a Toshiba 7020CT laptop running 98SE.  The adapter is 802.11B/G compatible, and will do WPA2-PSK and WPA-PSK security.

Their similar PCI wireless cards work also, but leave a couple processes running after you run the config utility  that may be killed if your CPU is loaded heavily {or doesn't have enough horsepower}.  They both use a Realtek chipset.

I found the AWLC3028 on ebay and gave it a try on my 2004 era Dell laptop's cardbus.  All have same problem- "server not found" even after disabling security.  Utility works fine, driver loads fine.  Browsers don't want to connect.  I wasn't too surprised; I expect this kind of thing anymore.  Maybe it's a case of 'install drivers before updates'.   

Firewall wasn't notifying me, removed firewall, have to wait a couple minutes for connection otherwise works great, nice utility. Driver is RTL8185.sys ver 5.1x 6/14/2007

• 7 months later...

Although my AWLC3028 works, it takes about 5 min. to start win98se when card is inserted--about 2.5 min to hear the beep from cardbus and another 2.5 to finish.  I was wondering if it's because of the cardbus controller.  I'm using the generic driver that's off the win98se cd.  It's a dell inspiron 8600 that has a TI PCMCIA 4510 controller according to winXP.  The only drivers I've found are for 2k or xp and ask where the pcmcia.sys file is on the win98se cd.  Does win98se use pcmcia.sys? It doesn't appear to be on the cd.

Yes, that was a helpful read jaclaz, I was able to find microsoftTI.inf from 9/02/2002 which is an updated driver for up to TI pci-4550 among others.  I'm having an issue with ATI graphics when starting - screen slowly fades to all white...so I'm not able to see if it helps....but I'm hoping I can work around this without doing a total reinstall.

• 2 weeks later...

The Airlink awlc5025 works too if you update the driver rt619x.sys ver 1.00 to 1.02.06.0000.   It uses Ralink driver, has MIMO, suppose to support WPA2.  The driver on cd doesn't work, causes BSOD with a vxd error.

I had hopes that the Airlink AWLC6080 300N (draft n) card and others like it would work but it seems there's no working utility.  Ralink made a driver for it named rt28609x.sys  I found it searching for AzureWave AW-NE766 Wireless LAN Driver V1.1.0.0 for Windows XP 

http://www.asus.com/support/Download/14/8/0/40/17/ Has anyone been down this road already?

I had hopes that the Airlink AWLC6080 300N (draft n) card and others like it would work but it seems there's no working utility.  Ralink made a driver for it named rt28609x.sys  I found it searching for AzureWave AW-NE766 Wireless LAN Driver V1.1.0.0 for Windows XP 

http://www.asus.com/support/Download/14/8/0/40/17/ Has anyone been down this road already?

I found  that Sitecom wl-180-software.exe has a utility that will install and run in w2k mode if a missing stub is added to Kstub822 netapi32.dll section.   ie DsGetDcNameA=       Works fine execept in utility WPA and WPA2 boxes are shaded out for some reason.  Maybe this goes beyond being win9x compatible.