XP SP2 Freezing after initial install..

slavestate

Odd problem here maybe someone can shed some light on..

Have one of our older P4 workstations Im rebuilding (ASUS P4P800-E mobo, 512MB RAM, Quadro 950GXL Video), that will NOT finish the initial XP install..

Basically I can boot from the cd, format/partition, and then it goes through copying the setup files and reboots.

On reboot, it gets to the Win XP splash screen, then freezes. No go.

This used to be a common issue with this particular model we used to have built for us. They often came with multi format media drives that on top of the 6 card slots, also had ports for USB, firewire, and your audio connections.. It used to be this happened because of the media drives USB ports and the extra front case ports connected to the motherboard. So you usually just pull those connectors off, finish the install then it all works fine after the install finishes..

However this isnt the case with this one machine! It was working just fine but we decided to rebuild it because the employee left and thought he knew more than he really did about customizing his own machine...

So far Ive got every extra USB port disconnected from the motherboard, pulled out the extra CD-ROM, removed the media drive completely, and even swapped the hard drive.

Still same thing, Ill go start the install, format once again just to be safe, copies files over, then freezes at the splash screen on reboot.

Any ideas???

Already attempted when the usual solution didnt work. Its something to do with XP, Ive found a knowledge base article before on the problem, which is where I knew to unplug the extra internal USB stuff, but couldnt find it again to see if there was another solution for it.

Good old Win 2000 installs fine on this machine, finishing it up right now.

Vista cant do it cause it doesnt have a DVD-Rom but yeah its an XP issue..

Used to happen all the time with these systems, only this time the normal fix isnt working.

Its possible I have a funny slipstreamed SP2 disc, Ill try making another one in a bit and starting over.

I've actually seen computers I had to resort to installing XP SP1 to instead of XP SP3. Don't ask me why... but it has happened.

It could possibly be your Optical drive or disk as well. I usually have a dvd burner I swap on certain computers cause I know it is reliable.

BIOS update?

I've found that with Intel P4 CPU mobos, a BIOS update will more often than not reflash the microcode that is **inside* the CPU as well as the mobo BIOS.

SL7xxx (espec the SL7EY) series CPUs are more effected by this than some, but the whole of the P4 family had more microcode updates than people generally know.

BIOS update?

I've found that with Intel P4 CPU mobos, a BIOS update will more often than not reflash the microcode that is **inside* the CPU as well as the mobo BIOS.

SL7xxx (espec the SL7EY) series CPUs are more effected by this than some, but the whole of the P4 family had more microcode updates than people generally know.

Try this... this is a good solution, in most case it works. Into bios so update a fix to install xp sp2 in the most of cases :thumbup

sorry for my little english.... :hello:

BIOS update it is! Ill give that a try in a bit here once I get a chance, thanks for the suggestion!

I dont think Ive ever tried that before because in 99.9% of the cases it worked by just unplugging all the extra USB junk connected to the extra headers on the motherboard (hence the IRQ conflict Im assuming)..

I got 2000 installed just fine on it but time for XP to go back!

SP3 is out?? Man Im out of it!!