Firefox 2.0.0.9 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 silent with Extensions

HØLLØW

Hey guys,

i knwo this question has always been asked so man many many ... times but I found no good answer :wacko:

So on, back to topic:

Can anyone tell me how I can install Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.9 and Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 with all Extensions, Settings and Bookmarks?

For each program, FF and TB, i use the -ms Silent-Switch in the RunOnceEx.cmd, but how can i copy the Settings and the Extensions back in FF and TB?

PS: I apologize for my english, I'm german :yes:

Here's what I do:

I install firefox and whatever extensions I like. Tweak it and set it up sweet. Then I close the program and copy the Mozilla dir in %AppData% to another partition. After I rebuild, the first thing I do is rename the default Mozilla folder and copy the backup back to %AppData% and then fire up the browser. Bingo! all my tweaks, extensions and settings are right there, just as they were before the rebuild!

HTH.

Here's what I do:

I install firefox and whatever extensions I like. Tweak it and set it up sweet. Then I close the program and copy the Mozilla dir in %AppData% to another partition. After I rebuild, the first thing I do is rename the default Mozilla folder and copy the backup back to %AppData% and then fire up the browser. Bingo! all my tweaks, extensions and settings are right there, just as they were before the rebuild!

HTH.

dude can u please give the explanation in a more simple and clear language.... i mean just make more explanatory....! thanks

dude can u please give the explanation in a more simple and clear language.... i mean just make more explanatory....! thanks

I believe that what "Pistolero" wrote was clear, but I'll rewrite it:

- Install Firefox

- Install extensions

- Configure Firefox and extensions as you wish

- Close all open instances of Firefox

- Copy the Mozilla directory from %AppData% to another folder; this backup contains all your settings, et cetera which you can restore after install

- Create a silent installer of Firefox

- Once the silent installer finishes installing Firefox, have it replace your Mozilla directory from %AppData% with the one you backupped

Hope this helped.

I believe that what "Pistolero" wrote was clear, but I'll rewrite it:

- Install Firefox

- Install extensions

- Configure Firefox and extensions as you wish

- Close all open instances of Firefox

- Copy the Mozilla directory from %AppData% to another folder; this backup contains all your settings, et cetera which you can restore after install

- Create a silent installer of Firefox

- Once the silent installer finishes installing Firefox, have it replace your Mozilla directory from %AppData% with the one you backupped

Hope this helped.

So what's the best way to "create a silent installer of Firefox"?

Why not just do a "firefox setup 2.0.0.9.exe" -ms ?

To create a silent install of Firefox, do I have to decompress the file "firefox setup 2.0.0.9.exe"? If so, why? What's the point of decompressing it then compressing it again with 7z???

Edited by Gray

• 1 month later...

Hi everyboy,

I'm just trying to install Firefox silent with extensions and the settings I made.

I install Firefox and Thunderbird with the -ms switch and then I copy the profile-folder from %AppData%:

%TOOL_ECHOX% -c 0E "Mozilla Firefox [2.0.0.11] wird installiert ..."
"%SystemDrive%\Setups\Netzwerk\Clients\Browser\Mozilla FireFox\mozilla_firefox.exe" -ms

%TOOL_ECHOX% -c 0E "Mozilla Firefox Konfiguration wird kopiert ..."
xcopy "%SystemDrive%\Setups\Netzwerk\Clients\Browser\Mozilla FireFox\Konfiguration\Mozilla\Firefox" "%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\" /E /Q

%TOOL_ECHOX% -c 0E "Mozilla Thunderbird [2.0.0.9] wird installiert ..."
"%SystemDrive%\Setups\Netzwerk\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozilla_thunderbird.exe" -ms

%TOOL_ECHOX% -c 0E "Mozilla Thunderbird Konfiguration wird kopiert ..."
xcopy "%SystemDrive%\Setups\Netzwerk\Clients\Mail\Mozilla ThunderBird\Konfiguration\Thunderbird" "%AppData%\Thunderbird\" /E /Q

All that works fine and all my settings are restored very well but the extensions are not included!

So, how can i install the extensions silent?

I tried it with:

for "%SystemDrive%\Setups\Netzwerk\Clients\Mail\Mozilla ThunderBird\Konfiguration\Erweiterungen\*.xpi" do "%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -install-global-extension"

But it didn't work!

Back when i used Firefox and Thunderbird instead of Opera, then i posted instructions for making switchless silent installers for Firefox and Thunderbird, which where fully pre-configured and included the wanted extensions/plugins...

Instructions for Firefox :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=675672

Instructions for Thunderbird :

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=678443

Those instructions include a regfile for setting up Thunderbird as the default mail client(Firefox supports a command-line switch for doing that and which i also have included).

Edited by Martin H

• 8 months later...