USB Flash Memory Stick won´t work at new vista machine

lklo

hi

I have got a new PC,and I am setting at up now.

But I have som troubles.

PC Data:P5K Premium, Intel E6850, 8800 gts, WesternDigital Raptor,CMStaker 832, Vista ultimate.

1.I have a Flash Memory Stick 512 Mb (usb2.0), But Vista cant find any drivers. I dont know what to do?

2.I have a Targus Bluetooth Stick , I have tried to install the drivers,who come with the stick,But vista cant recgonize it. I dont know what to do?

3.I have a Nokia Phone N73 and Nokia PC Suite,I want to connect to PC with the USB Cable (who comes with the Phone),But vista cant see the Phone.

All theese 3 troubles is driving me crazy. I have also an older Dell 4600 dimension,which I have tried to install Vista on(only for testing).

On this machine I have no troubles with my stick´s and Phone cables.

Maybe someone here can help me?

Try the following steps ( it will be easier if UAC is disabled ):

1) Unplug your USB device

2) delete all files with an extension of pnf from c:\windows\inf ( be very careful only to delete the pnf files ).

3) delete the file named infcache.1 from c:\windows\inf. You will need to modify the file permissions of infcache.1 to give the Users group full control to do this. From explorer right click on the file and choose properties. Select the Security tab. Select the Edit button. From the Group / Users list select Users.In the 'Permissions For Users' box select Full Control. Then Apply. You will get a warning - select Yes. Then hit OK twice. You should now be able to delete the file INFCACHE.1. Make sure you only delete this one file.

4) Plug in your USB device. It should now install.

Be very careful when performing steps 2) and 3).

check your motherboard manual and see if the type on cards you are using are compatible and or recomending. For e.g nvidia the video cards are not recomended on all boards , im not saying this is your problem. But you would want to check yuh hardware first, since this can cause such problems, ive seen it happen. not because it is pci, pci-exp or agp that doesnt mean anything would work.

But i'd check my hardware thoroughly before i did the softwaree, because usb is suppose to work by default, without changing any settings

I have a similar problem in vista x64 ultimate.

The OS recognizes the USB flash memory (1GB) and installs the driver, but it is very very slow transferring files and it freezes if you try to transfer several big files at the same time (drag&drop). I have to unplug it for the OS to respond and then I can't do a full format because it freezes too.

The same USB flash memory works perfectly in XP sp2 (other laptop compaq 2540ea).

I have another USB flash memory that works well in both laptops and OSs (HP dv9063ea-Nvidia Geforce Go7600....).

I have the OSs updated.

Hi Dude,

Targus, do not ship driver USB flash driver for windows vista. System requirements: Windows 98SE, Me, 2000, XP, or Mac OS X and USB port

Try to create a virtual USB port and check whether it works for you, I still doubt. If you have already E or F drive please remove it. Some of the USB flash may use specifically E drive.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Dilip.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had this problem and found a fix. Go here and request KB article 940199. This should fix the problem. For a quick fix go into device manager and choose to update the driver of your device. Tell it to look in "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" and it should find them. Install that hotfix, though, unless you want to do this everytime. The article explains that it may be caused by the removal or corruption of the infcache.1 file when windows can't make another. Even though you just setup the system I reccomend getting the hotfix.

Edit: File path and extra info.

Edited by Spegs21

I've been going nuts over this ever since I recently bought a Verbatim Store 'N 'Go 8GB USB key - but despite numerous tweeks to the the registry + inf and USBSTOR file copies, updating the the drivers, etc. etc. as suggested on many forums, Windows Explorer and Disk Manager still freeze on me intermittently when plugging this key in.

Today I tried the same key on an XP SP2 machine, it installed okay but then the same symptoms occurred all over again - so it's not just limited to Vista. I was beginning to think it was a duff key, BUT - and here's the interesting bit : when I insert my old USB key (USB 2.0, not "high speed", and only 256Mb) everything's fine.

Leave it there and insert the new flash drive in a 2nd USB slot, and everything's still fine! Windows Explorer, Disk Manager, CHKDSK etc. , reading + writing files, etc. all work as they should! It's as if the smaller key (previously used on both machines with never a hitch, i.e. installed in the past), is keeping the system stable. And there's nothing apparently wrong with my new USB drive at all.

I haven't yet applied for the 940199 fix suggested by Spegs21.

But meanwhile, and while we all wait for a 'regular' MS fix, I just thought you'd like to know of this 'intermediary' fix!

The fix is a regular MS fix but they are going to wait to release it with SP1. People that really need it have to request it, though. Like you said, the size of the disk may have something to do with it. My system could not install any device automaticly before I got KB 940199 and it fixed everything up, look here. Also try KB 941600.

Edited by Spegs21

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Paraglider for the great advice. I had same problem with Vista Ultimate not registering my Store n Go. Your instructions worked like a charm!

admdave

Try the following steps ( it will be easier if UAC is disabled ):

1) Unplug your USB device

2) delete all files with an extension of pnf from c:\windows\inf ( be very careful only to delete the pnf files ).

3) delete the file named infcache.1 from c:\windows\inf. You will need to modify the file permissions of infcache.1 to give the Users group full control to do this. From explorer right click on the file and choose properties. Select the Security tab. Select the Edit button. From the Group / Users list select Users.In the 'Permissions For Users' box select Full Control. Then Apply. You will get a warning - select Yes. Then hit OK twice. You should now be able to delete the file INFCACHE.1. Make sure you only delete this one file.

4) Plug in your USB device. It should now install.

Be very careful when performing steps 2) and 3).