DIscussing Norton

Ok, so the thing is thateverybody is taking shots at norton antivirus and saying to remove it and replace it with AVG etc.

what i want to know is, what is the probloem with norton that the other antivirus programmes do better, because personally i know norton works. im using 360 on xp and 07 on vista. Now im all oen to new ideas, but i wont just change and antivirus because some one said so.

So what exactly is the probolem with norton :unsure:

Im a minimalist when it comes to antivirus software

If i see a popup window from my AV i want it to tell me it detected a virus, and depending on severity, either zap it without confirmation or ask me for input. That is the only time (post install) i want to see my antivirus

I will not use an AV that:

thinks it needs more than 1 systray icon (liveupdate&engine on some nortons, liveupdate,engine&'antispyware' on others)

Hooks itself to every part of the OS -I'm waiting for the Norton Antivirus IE Toolbar so i can 'conveniently search for viruses on my system while browsing'

has a Gui that is skinned -to me this is like seeing a 300 pound doughnut eating police officer. AVs are not supposed to be a resource hogs. they are supposed to hide in the background until needed and save your a** just in the nick of time

and the number 1 reason why I hate norton AV:

It keeps deleting my Angry IP Scanner from my pen drive because its a 'potentially unwanted program'

i have tried both 360 and 2007.

360 is really a well-suited program for those that are not "power users" or called it whatever you want.

It is great and it doesn't bog down the system, but the footprint is a little high (cant remember the amount right now).

I recommend it to the average user.

About Antivirus 2007, i really dislike because it is slow at scanning things around, and as geek poasted here, it injects itself into many things that i don't want it to. If you ever have a problem with it (itself or compatibilities with some apps) you will be in trouble because of the poor uninstaller they use and it thinks that even you dont have it anymore installed it will keep LiveUpdate installed and running. You need to download an Uninstaller Tool to get the whole program removed properly. It does very well in scanning rating.

For light (as an antivirus can be) on resources and easy to fix/repair/uninstall i recommend Kaspersky. The latest version 3.x of NOD32 are good though. avast! Pro is good but i don't like the interface and the way it manages by default a feature to repair files damaged by infections.

Testing on three heavily infected machines in one week about a year ago did it for me. After installing and updating Symentec AV Corp 10, I ran a scan in safe mode. When the result proved significantly less than satisfactory, I loaded up AVG Free, updated, and scanned in safe mode. Results? Night and day . . . one machine in particular still took about three minutes to get past all the viruses and pop-ups after the Symantec scan, but booted cleanly after AVG did its stuff. The Symantec scan revealed only one repeat one issue and claimed to have taken care of it. AVG found 106 issues, to include the one reported by Symantec. Clearly, it took care of them. The machine was running great again.

Let's see . . . expensive program that doesn't work or free program that kicks it. Is this a trick question? I've been using AVG ever since and have never looked back. You know Norton works? Take the Pepsi challenge and report back.

But our IT consultant sticks to Symantec at my school (he doesn't sell AVG). "Oh, virus problesm? Well, we're running Symantec." As if that makes everything better. So we continue to use Symantec on the teacher and staff machines, but I've been insisting on AVG on the student machines. Guess who suffers from virus-related issues? Yup.

AVG uses about 3MB combined, whereas Symantec uses about 60MB. Our machines are running XP Pro with 512MB total. It kills me that Symantec requires such a large bite. Teachers and staff complain about their machines, whereas the students are coasting.

While I was writing this, AVG popped up a message saying it's virus database had just been updated. I clicked the OK button. Such a bother. :rolleyes:

Edited by blinkdt

wrong place to post question like that...

for me norton can detect viruses but it always fail to remove the infected item... even let the virus run itself and detect it and unable to clean....

a lot of software is detected as hack tools even it is not hacking us but it is hacking some other things....

buggy a lot ...

i love it at 1996 when it is number one antivirus that scan email.... but since 2006 i stop using it and replace with today number 1 antivirus for me (NOD32)

it detect , it cleans, dun make pc slow down and fastest scanning antivirus software... and update the virus definition every hour ....

Norton/Symantec isn't even included on this virus testing site:

http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.ph...irusWeeklyStats

I hate it when I encounter a faulty machine with Norton "protection" stuff (IS/360/etc.). Only Ghost is mostly okay. Their web site even requires Javascript and errors show up on Firefox.

Nowadays I only recommend Kaspersky or NOD32 (in that order).

Edited by SmaugyGrrr

I have never experienced any problems with Symantec products such as AntiVirus or Endpoint Security. As for Norton, it cannot be compared to Symantec. It uses more system resources and bugs the user more with alerts and such. I've used Norton 360 for a test spin, but it didn't compare to Symantec. I never advice Norton, always Symantec.

When I see that there are “better” alternatives for free, I would think twice to *"buy" a 50US$ program a year (single user version).

* You don’t even own it, it just stops working after one year till you drop another 50US$ or so.