Kb314503- Black Screen Of Death

1234s282

Hi There

My Pc is currently experiencing the symptoms of microsoft article KB314503.

"When you try to start Microsoft Windows XP, the computer may appear to stop responding (hang) with an empty, black screen immediately after the power-on self test (POST) is complete and before the Windows XP logo typically appears on the screen."

However , despite the computer hanging for about 1 minute , i then get a loading bar ( exactly like the one in windows 2000 bootup) and then windows xp continues to load as normal.

I have tried several things to resolve the problem , all to no avail

Heres what ive tried :-

Repair install

Clean install onto formatted hard drive

Used recovery discs that came with my computer

FIXMBR command in recovery console

FIXBOOT command in recovery console

Used onboard VGA instead of graphics card.

Reinstall XP bootloader using EasyBCD

The master HD on my system i s a Seagate 40GB IDE Drive . Its nearly 4 years ld - could the 1 minute hang be a warning thats the Hard drive is about to fail?

All Help on this much appreciated

I can live with the problem but it is very frustrating

The master HD on my system i s a Seagate 40GB IDE Drive . Its nearly 4 years ld - could the 1 minute hang be a warning thats the Hard drive is about to fail?

All Help on this much appreciated

I can live with the problem but it is very frustrating

Yep!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

If my hard drives about to fail then il save whatever data i want , switch my secondary hard drive (Hitatchi 320GB) to master then do a clean windows install.

anybody else got any suggestions

Thanks for the quick reply by the way - i only posted this morning

I have been itching to switch the drives over so my 320GB is master. The only reason i havent was because my computer came with the 40GB drive tehn i added the 320GB one myself as a slave. I didnt want to mess about because of all my data on the hard drive so i left it as it was. If the 40GB eventually goes then il make the 320Gb my master and only main hard disk. Il probably then install a clean installation of Vista on the 320GB drive.

thanks for everyones comments so far - i really appreciate your help

Edited by 1234s282

If you did a clean installation of Windows onto that 40GB drive, installed nothing else (including drivers), and the problem continues, I'd start by replacing the drive. After the POST but before the splash screen is when the BIOS is "handing off" to the bootloader, and that's when the kernel is being loaded. If it takes that long and it isn't a driver problem, then I'd suspect a bad drive, yes.

Just an update on this

I formatted and removed the 40GB drive (master) and set the 320GB from slave to master. However the computer doesnt get past the HP logo when i s witch it on. However , the second i replace the 40gb drive as master , i can boot of a disc and get to window setup or boot into windows (after the 1 minute hang). I completely formatted the 40GB drive and tried a clean reinstall. Everythings a lot faster but i stilll get the 1 mnute hang.

I guess il have to live with it until the HD dies

Can anyone suggest why it wont let me use the other drive as master , even though its the only drive (whe i remove the 40GB one) , completely formatted and set as master. I cant even get into the BIOS when the 320GB drive is master. My PC just locks up when it displays the HP logo.

Edited by 1234s282

Yes theres a BIOS upsdate on the Hp website dated September 2007 . It says that the BIOS update resolves a problem with the system hanging during bootup.........................(wait for it)............................when connected to an ipod shuffle :(

I dont even have an Ipod but i applied the update anyway and the 1 minute hang is still there

Does anyone have some other suggestions as to why i cant get anywhere with the 320GB drive as the only drive and set as master , but if i put the 40GB one in (even if i ts formatted with nothing on it) it will let me boot into BIOS , or boot of a disc etc.

Also , can anyone guess how long my HD's got? With it being a Seagate i downloaded their diagnostic tool but both the 40GB drive and the 320GB drive passed the diagnostics

I really appreciate the help that everyone has offered so far :)

HP technician said that my master drive has to bre less than 137GB - thats what caused the hang.

The 40GB HD died on me yesterday so ive bought a brand new 120~GB western digital drive which should solve the problem with (yet another) reinstall

Thanks for everones help on the problem :)

• 2 weeks later...