Patched EXPLORER.EXE files

no1none

Yesterday I was looking for an old thread with patched explorer and I couldn't find it (search on this forum sucks, really).

I had to go home to find the patched file... so, with this still fresh on my mind, I decided to open new thread with nothing else but explorer files.

Since Microsoft patched explorer executables himself in versions from Windows ME upward (with exception of W2K) to display 256+color icons, this thread should be for Windoze 95/95A/95B/95C/98/98SE/NT4/2000 explorer files only.

Anyone please contribute if you have anything else to add.

Lets post here the original (unpatched) and modified (patched) files.

Please state the full version numbers of files, and what has been done to the patched ones.

useful links:

xvi32.gifXVI32 excellent hex editor by Christian Maas

Title.gifDr.Hoiby's page with some patched explorers

For those wondering what is it about, here is nice comparison of how the windows explorer handles icons with 256 or more colors:

original microsoft's windows explorer:

(any Windows95/98/NT/2000)

Before.gif

using patched windows explorer:

(any Windows95/98/NT/2000)

After.gif

TEST IT YOURSELF WITH

Test.pngTrayTester by Dr.Hoiby

Edited by no1none

• 3 weeks later...
Windows 95

patched explorer.exe version 4.00 (4.00.950) EN-US

offsets:

0C496

0E6CF

1E86F

all changed 01 to 11

I'm in the process of requesting Q172648 explorer.exe version 4.00.952 hotfix for Win95 (if it's still available). After I get it, I'll have to patch it up to implement the 256+ colors fix.

Since Microsoft patched explorer executables himself in versions from Windows ME upward (with exception of W2K) to display 256+color icons, this thread should be for Windoze 95/95A/95B/95C/98/98SE/NT4/2000 explorer files only.

Microsoft only partially fixed the problem in WinME for Color Depths of 16-bit high color [65536 colors] and 32-bit real color modes, but NOT for 24-bit true color mode. If a video card (such as Intel 810/815 graphics chips) support up to 24bit color mode and you use 24bit color mode in WinME, the 256+ color trayicon test will FAIL and will display a FEW colors.

If you switch it from 24bit color to 16bit color mode in WinME and run the 256+ color test, it will display the colors correctly.

I've done numerous test on this on a WinME machine to prove my point. Dr. Hoiby is only HALF right on his assessment and did not test the problem thoroughly enough on Windows ME computers with different video cards.

It is in Windows XP that Microsoft completely fixed the 256+ colors trayicons problem for ALL color depths (16bit, 24bit, 32bit & higher)

Edited by erpdude8

Exactly the problem I have on i810 igc here. It supports 24-bit palette maximum and the tray icons are awful. These i810 are the ones to blame they should be rewritten as they are so poorly written really.

• 3 weeks later...
Windows 2000 SP5 edition patched

Windows 2000 SP5 ? :blink:

Can you modify your post and add the attached explorer's version info as well? thx ;)

Windows 95

patched explorer.exe version 4.00 (4.00.950) EN-US

offsets:

0C496

0E6CF

1E86F

all changed 01 to 11

I'm in the process of requesting Q172648 explorer.exe version 4.00.952 hotfix for Win95 (if it's still available). After I get it, I'll have to patch it up to implement the 256+ colors fix.

Microsoft only partially fixed the problem in WinME for Color Depths of 16-bit high color [65536 colors] and 32-bit real color modes, but NOT for 24-bit true color mode. If a video card (such as Intel 810/815 graphics chips) support up to 24bit color mode and you use 24bit color mode in WinME, the 256+ color trayicon test will FAIL and will display a FEW colors.

If you switch it from 24bit color to 16bit color mode in WinME and run the 256+ color test, it will display the colors correctly.

I've done numerous test on this on a WinME machine to prove my point. Dr. Hoiby is only HALF right on his assessment and did not test the problem thoroughly enough on Windows ME computers with different video cards.

It is in Windows XP that Microsoft completely fixed the 256+ colors trayicons problem for ALL color depths (16bit, 24bit, 32bit & higher)

I have no experience with WinME beside that I bought it when it came out, found out its garbage, and haven't ever used it myself ;)

I am sure I have explorer 4.00.952 and that hotfix.

If you won't find it let me know, but I'd prefer you don't :D (I'd have to search for it on my old uncatalogged discs... <shrugs> )

Edited by no1none