HELP! internet problem and computer froze!

im1knight

Hi guys, i really need your help. this happened about 2 days ago, it's pretty random I'd say.... Just all of the sudden i feel a lag when i logon game, and that day's connection was pretty crappy. then it just never stopped from that point on.

Here are some facts:

1. This never happened to me before.

2. I use verizon DSL, and i contacted verizon, they said they did not find any problem on their side, but for some strange reason all my 3 computers connected to the network are all experiencing slow internet speed.

3. I'm using a HP labtop, Dell desktop, and an old IBM labtop

4. my speed was supposed to be 768 Kbps. But i run a test as the verizon people showed me, my speed was only around 64kbps. which is far below what it's supposed to be. (on all 3 computers)

5. it takes me almost 3 minutes to view a webpage(used to be less than 10 seconds), and i can't play any game due to the lag......( usually run the game smoothly)

6. my computer randomly frozen. i don't know why, it first happened about 1 day ago from when i posted this, never happened before. It's not even blue screen, its just froze there.....in middle of no where. sometimes when im starting up windows, sometimes when i'm playing game, sometimes when i'm typing something, sometimes when i'm chatting. so i have to unplug the computer's power everytime( which i believe is very bad for the hardware).

so guys....anyone know how to fix these? i want to get my computer back to working...thanks for help! ty!

EDIT: for the randomly frozen part, its for my HP labtop only, the other 2 computers are fine.

Edited by im1knight

How do you connect to the internet? Modem or router? First off make sure your environment is malware free (see the sticky thread under the malware subforum) and if that doesnt help, come back and we will take it from there. Good luck!

You could always restore from a 3+ day-old backup (or restore point), with no network connection (copy your backup to local media, if necessary) then check all your security defences before slowly and carefully reconnecting and checking. How about an ip-sniff? Maybe one of your gaming buddies has caught something contagious.

Edited by koolezt