Can anyone provide some insight to my problem?

leventpekcan

Hello all,

After trying and failing again and again, I wanted to tell you my problem, hoping someone else may have experience with a similar situation.

Using nLite, I'm building a lightened WinXP SP2 install CD. As a source I'm using a WinXP SP2 CD with almost all the updates slipstreamed. With nLite, I'm removing most of the unnecessary components (for me) and drivers. None of the red labelled items is removed. A lot of services also disabled or changed to "MANUAL" start.

My problem is about nLite creating user accounts. When I use my newly created install CD, sometimes something goes wrong and it does not login into administrator account. It shows the user as "Administrator", but in effect WinXP does not consider the actual user as an administrator. Thus, I find myself in some kind of "user limbo", unable to reach services.msc or user management, etc.

I do not change the name for admin account. I also do not use automatic login (If I try to use it, it gives an error informing me someting like "the system can not log you in....".

I tried and tried with different options, and have lost really so much time. The chaotic nature of the problem (a problematic install CD sometimes installs without any problems!) is making it also more difficult.

Does anyone else have a similar problem? Any insight would be appreciated.

Many thanks, LP

Edited by leventpekcan

Hello again,

Nuhi, I did some more experiments. I want to share my findings, because maybe that will help someone else, or maybe will connect to someting other.

I tried with not touching the services, or not integrating any hotfixes or drivers. Still no good result. But I have observed two details:

- The setup CD's I create work OK in Virtual PC etc. They fail at my test system consisting an Athlon X2 cpu, nForce 590 board etc. Could that be related to my spesific hardware?

- I tried using nLite to create another administrator account on setup, with another name. I noticed that in the failed installations, the folders for that account is not created. Additional to the Admin and Guest users allready built-in, I setup nlite to create a user named DHW, beloning to Admins group. After the XP installations, I find no trace of such an user on the hard drive.

What may cause such random failure in user creation, do you have any idea for me?

Next thing I will try is to use a pure XP SP2 CD for new CD creation. So far I used a XP SP2 CD with all the updates allready slipstreamed. Maybe that is a problem, we will see.

Many thanks, LP

Edited by leventpekcan

:blink:

It shows the user as "Administrator", but in effect WinXP does not consider the actual user as an administrator.

Is the source CD made by yourself ? If not, it is possible that the administrator has beeen renamed and an other user named "administrator" was created.

No Ponch, the source CD is not made by me and at the moment it is looking more and more suspicious. Tomorrow I'll test again using a clean WinXP SP2 CD. Your idea is also very logical, many thanks. On the other hand, it is very strange that when I setup nLite to create another user named Levent or something, it does not create that user or user's folders.

Anyway, we will see what happens using the clean source. Many thanks! :)