Option to disable pagefile?

ernesto

No.

1. it's not recommended regardless of the amount of ram. Maybe size change would be a better fit.

2. Windows restarts the size during the setup, so it would require hacking. Not worth it.

Hi nuhi,

Many thanks for the quick reply and writing this wonderful program.

1. I use nlite to create a XP setup CD for installing onto a USB HDD. Leaving the pagefile enabled may result in unpredictable behavior during the installation/boot up process and corrupting the host system as well. That is why it is recommended to disable the pagefile for USB installation.

2. Windows disables the pagefile by blanking the following key in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"PagingFiles"=

Can the HIVESYS.INF file be modified in someways to achieve the same result?

Many thanks for your kind assistance.

Best regards.

ernesto, it should work but it is restarted during install and it is again set at auto.

Even if I forced it again on the first logon it would still be created once until the next reboot.

Thanks for the reply, nuhi.

You are right about windows resetting the pagefile. Adding the pagingfiles registry key to hivesys.inf did not work. Even though the key was set to blank in system.sav, windows set it to C:\pagefile.sys in the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet on first boot.

Also tried adding the key to setupreg.hiv, without modifying the hivesys.inf. Again no success. But this time the pagingfiles key in system.sav was not blank. So there is a difference on how the files setupreg.hiv and hivesys.inf are used during the windows setup process. Could you kindly explain?

So is there a way to prevent windows from writing the pagefile during the setup/boot up process?

If this is not possible, what needs to be done to disable it after the first boot?

Thank you for your patience.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I realise this is a slightly older topic.. but because you SHOULD remove the pagefile for SSD based hardware (EeePC particularly for now) has anyone found a decent way to do it?

If you dont remove the pagefile you get increased disk writes which are very bad for the life of the SSD..

Even the manual instructs you to remove it and a LOT of EeePC owners are using nlite (with XP or 2000).. the option would be very useful to all of them I think.

• 2 months later...