Out of memory issues on boot

gameman

Hi all,

I have a dual booting system with windows 2000 and windows 98SE. My problem is I recently upgraded the memory to 1.5gig from 512mb. And of course the old "insusficent memory to activate windows" bug bit. I thought no problem as I would just adjust the MaxPhysPage and MaxFileCache settings. However nothing seems to help. Windows 2000 runs fine so I know the memory is not the issue.

I have tried:

MaxFileCache=65535

MaxFileCache=262144

MaxFileCache=524288

MaxFileCache=65536

MaxFileCache=32768

MaxPhysPage=20000

MaxPhysPage=48000

MaxPhysPage=40000

All to no avail. This is really quite flustrating as everything I have read these settings should bypass this bug. Any help is apprecated.

Well I thought that with the MaxFileCache and Max PhysPage settings it limits the ammount of ram the windows sees and gets around the bug. And I know of people this has worked for, but the method is failing here. :(

Well I thought that with the MaxFileCache and Max PhysPage settings it limits the ammount of ram the windows sees and gets around the bug. And I know of people this has worked for, but the method is failing here. :(

Try http://members.aol.com/rloew1 demo ram limitation patch or http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=105373 xenos vcache fix to see via a process of elimination if your system is capable of using larger ram sizes under win 9x. Highest amount of ram of a system running win9x to date is in excess of 3.6 gig

Edited by oscardog

Please read the thread VCACHE fix attempt, at least from post #7 to post #38, and do follow the links therein.

If that doen't solve your problem, do also remove ACPI and APM altogether from Win 98SE, here's how. But since yours is a double boot machine, you should let APIC and ACPI activated in BIOS (that is, skip item 1 in my procedure), for the benefit of Win 2k, unless you decide to remove them also from Win 2k, which I think is unnecessary... Good luck and keep me posted. HTH

Edited by dencorso

Did you put the settings under the correct headings in system.ini

Try the following

[vcache]

MaxFileCache=64000

[386Enh]

MaxPhysPage=40000

if that works try increasing the MaxFileCache. Personally I like a setting of 261120

There is a bug that the swap file being bigger than 768 MB causes that error!

Retarded, if you ask me!

Even with less RAM, (at 512 MB) when I setted the swap file to bigger than 768 MB, I gotten that error message or similar and thus was forced to go to safe mode and make the swap file smaller!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Hi all,

I have a dual booting system with windows 2000 and windows 98SE. My problem is I recently upgraded the memory to 1.5gig from 512mb. And of course the old "insusficent memory to activate windows" bug bit. I thought no problem as I would just adjust the MaxPhysPage and MaxFileCache settings. However nothing seems to help. Windows 2000 runs fine so I know the memory is not the issue.

I have tried:

MaxFileCache=65535

MaxFileCache=262144

MaxFileCache=524288

MaxFileCache=65536

MaxFileCache=32768

MaxPhysPage=20000

MaxPhysPage=48000

MaxPhysPage=40000

1) unless you are going to use the left over RAM for a RAM disk, there is NO point having 1.5 gigs in a Windows 98 machine. Win98 was NOT designed to be able to USE more than 1 gig. I would take out the 512 MB stick and just leave the 1 gig stick in there.

2) even with 1 gig, you can still run into problems if you have a large graphics aperture being set in BIOS. Windows will load but you won't be able to start any additional Virtual Machines (ie DOS boxes) until you adjust MaxPhysPage and set it to "39A00" --- (MaxPhysPage=40000 can still cause problems).

3) dencorso is right, follow his suggestions as well and the links.

I am interested to listen what is point in having swap file on Windows 98 SE with 1 GB or more RAM ?

I am having Core 2 Duo with 1 GB ram and 256 MB Radeon 9600

Everything is working superb without swap file

This is because even when you have more than enough RAM, some applications (not Windows) give a not enough memory error!

Project64 1.5 is known to give "FAILED TO ALLOCATE MEMORY" without a swapfile.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I am interested to listen what is point in having swap file on Windows 98 SE with 1 GB or more RAM ?

I am having Core 2 Duo with 1 GB ram and 256 MB Radeon 9600

Everything is working superb without swap file

You have a Core 2 Duo running Windows 98!!!!!

HOW!!!

Maybe stupid question but what is Project64 1.5 ??

I am having original Windows 98 SE without any updates ....

About Core 2 Duo I have wanted to say that my Core 2 Duo E 4300 is not having problems with Windows 98 SE. Because of writings on this site I think that Windows 98 SE is using only one of two E 4300 cores but for me this is not important. Important is that everything work OK.

On PC I am having Windows 98 SE and Windows XP so XP is using both cores when I work or play with modern software.

My MBO is ASRock 775i65G . About other MBO which are working with 2 cores and Windows 98 SE you need to read http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=97588 where I have made list of all modern MBO which are working with Win 98 SE and 2 core processors