BSOD help

Maleko

Ok, this to me is not making any sense, and proving highly annoying...

I've been getting random BSOD's in XP, some are the IRQL not less than or equal too error, soem are just blank BSOD etc etc.

So, took my pc into work with me today and to tests on it all day, leaving them runnign etc.

I did mem tests, cpu stress tests, grapphic test, using programs like, orthos, memtest86, 3dmark, pcmark.

leaving some of them running a few hours.

NO errors, NO BSOD...

just went to load up a game, and just after the EA logo...BSOD...

im totally lost...is it just my OS thats gone cok up? As there is no consistancy to them.

I can run a game for hours and not have a problem...sometimes a BSOD can occur when my pc is doing nothing, or just playing music...SO random.

I had the "IRQL not less than or equal too error" a little while ago it starrted out with VPU crashes in games and eventualy progressed

to getting the IRQL not less than or equal too error every time my video drivers were loaded during boot-up. I don't know if this could be your

problem but mine was my power supply.

IRQL not less than or equal errors usually mean a driver on your system executed a command at an invalid IRQL level, or, caused a pageable operation at an IRQL of 2 (DPC Dispatch) or higher. These are ENTIRELY driver errors unless you've got a bum overclocked CPU or bad RAM (which you seem to have already checked) - at this point, I'd check all of the drivers on your machine (video, audio, network, antivirus, firewall, antispyware, whatever else you have installed that has kernel-mode drivers) and make sure you're running the latest versions of the vendor's product/drivers, and that they're WHQL certified (for hardware drivers) if at all possible.

I don't know if this could be your problem but mine was my power supply.

That is my first guess too. Maleko, can you try with a different PSU?

cheers for the replies guys!

well, i did a system format, as i needed to do one anyway, and used my original XP CD (not using my nlite cd) to re-install.

All seems fine, except i had a bsod when loading some programs, i was loading about 6 apps at once, so may have been be rushing :P

then had one from my display driver nv4_disp.dll bsod when chaging settings in a game.

although random bsod's dont seem to be happening, only have happened when i was doing something this time.

now, i have been curious if my psu was powerful enough now, 500w antec truepower powering:

8800GTS, Opeteron 175, x3 hard drives, x2 rom drives, floppy drive, 4 case fans and lots of usb devices.

so maybe that is an option, unfortunately i cant test another psu, id have to buy one.

all my drivers are WHQL, and all latest.

oh, and nothing is overclcoked now, took it all back to stock.

Edited by Maleko

• 3 weeks later...

Ahhhh!

Ok, update:

Formatted a few weeks ago, was all good, seemed stable.

Then a few BSOD's in games...

Now they have gotten regular again, random as before, can be BSOD in game, in a movie, in a screensaver...or when its just web browsing, or doing nothing.

They can be with graphics card drivers, USB drivers, or other system files....some are blank errors.

Tonight was watching LOST in itunes....about 4/5 BSOD's during it.

anyway, going to buy a new PSU on monday, 750W (from a 500W).

Will also try memtest again over night tonight.

Any other input or advice?

Hardware:

Asus A8N SLI Premium

Opteron Dual Core 175

2GB PC4000 Ballistixs

8800GTS 320MB

Audigy 2 Platinum ex

USB2 PCi Expanstion card

x2 Sata hard drives 80GB in Raid0

1 Sata hard drive 200GB

X2 DVD Roms (one writer one stands dvd reader)

Antec All In One Front panel USB and LCD fan controller

Cold Cathode Light

X4 80MM Case Fans

Floppy Drive

500W PSU (over a year old)

Yep, all latest drivers, like to always keep them up-to-date.

well im not sure what the problem is then. i have only had this problem with a bad driver or overheating.

try running memtest and orthos(watch you temps for othos)

you should test the stability of your hardware, something could be bad.