when assembling a pc

D_block

so guys, for all of you who are like me that build their own and clients pc's, what is the stupidest problem u have ever encountered ?

Mines was on the last pc i built. i cant remember the model of the board an such but it was an msi baby atx board with a sempron processor

anyways, so the guy bought a cheap case to put in. so after i mounted everything up, i also had to cut one of the connectors to fit the board from a 3 pin to a 2 pin. now when i power on the pc, it shutsdown. or even if it boots right up it cuts off . Now im puzzled here :wacko: so i disconnec the power switch on the board an everything boots fine :unsure: i reconnec it , it cuts off. untill once when i had it running i saw a flash on the screen before it shuts down . the switch was groundin off an shutdown the pc so i saw the box u usually see when using the power switch to shut down :angry:

so u guys should kno wha i did nex , i switched the power with the reset :thumbup its workin all now, but i guess he cant reset :unsure:

Share your stories guys

• 2 weeks later...

I was very tired and I put a AGP video card in a PCE X16 slot and after trying to figure out why the heck! and then i decided to open the case and i was duh.. it should be in AGP slot not the PCIE HEHE! I felt bad after! I felt dumb! but hey! all computer geeks make mistakes too! anyways, I was lucky i didn't fry my board, as it turns out the PCIE X16 slot that was on my mobo could only go up to 8X cause it was actually powered by AGP! (kinda werid) but yeah.. so it didn't hurt anything.

Now i have on that my friend did...

He has a Acer desktop with a Socket 478 and his laptop died and he tried to put the CPU from the Laptop witch was a Centrino 1.8Ghz.. Totally different socket and he said it wouldn't fit. so i jammed it into the socket and he said my computer didn't boot! and i was like WELL! I WONDER WHY??!! id***.... :P :P now the whole school knows and every geek laughs at it!

Oh and from that same friend of mine, he has a Domain controller for 1 computer! go figure!

Edited by computerMan

lol, my friend shoved a ddr2 stick into his ddr1 slot. lets just say that it turned into ddrexplode2.gif

Really? when i was at work (when i had a job) I did that and it didnt work so i just switched again and it worked fine... (it was a dell)

well i just mean that the ram died. i just wanted to use that cool icon :)

the thing is that a ddr2 stick wont fit in a ddr1 slot so the stick just kind of broke. he forced it way too hard.

Edited by ripken204

Hard to say for me... of course there have been cases of forgetting to plug something in, everyone does that sometimes. ;)

I'd have to go with the first time I figured out how to use the account lockout policy. I set the lockout time to as high as it would go, then logged off and put in the wrong password to the only administrator account until it locked. That's when I realized that yes, it did do what I thought, and oh, I was screwed for the next very long time.

Dumbest thing I'd done was clean and put my casing back together when half asleep.

I have 2 External USB Drive Enclosures, one for a backup HD and another for a DVD-Rom. Both different brands so different plug types. One used a regular 3-prong power connector for it like most PSU's, the other used a power connector that 100% matched the PS\2 device standard (seeing where this is going)?

At the time I was also using a PS\2 extension cord for my keyboard that was the same look and colour as the ps\2 power cord from one of my enclosures. I didn't realize I plugged my keyboard into the external case supply and the external enclosure power into my mainboards ps\2 keyboard port.

... a few minutes later I'm wondering why my keyboard isn't lighting up and responding (booted into windows fine). I decide to check the cords and realize what I'd done.

... Needless to say I no longer have a functional ps\2 keyboard port on my mainboard. Keyboard will light up briefly when I put in it for a moment but is not reconized as even being there at all. :( Thank god for PS/2-to-USB adaptors.

Moral of the story: Mind your plug and don't jack on to the wrong ports.

... Suprised it's even allowable to make power plugs match the PS\2 Plug type.

Edited by Chozo4

• 4 weeks later...
oh yea, i washed a video card once with squeezy dish washing liquid. it was a geforce mx 4000 agp card, well it still works so i guess it wsnt bad after all :rolleyes:

that just makes me think "wtf" :P

the dumbest thing i've ever done... hmm... i actually have to say nothing... oh yeah, it's not a mistake but i stood standing like an id*** for about 2 mins wondering whether i needed a new monitor due to it being vga and my graphics card being dvi :sneaky: and then i remembered the "weird thing" i read about in the manual, and voila, it was an adapter :P

Edited by clidx

Not the stupidest thing I've done, but...

I have been using a computer (that I bought off of craigslist) in my dorm room as a server. I rearranged some of the components to fit my needs and all was well... Well, at least until the computer started to randomly shut off whenever I touched it or nudged or pretty much did anything to it. It took me about two months to realize that the hard drive was pinching the two wires connected to the power button. Oops... After I moved the drive, everything worked fine. :)

Cracked a brand new Asus P5WD2 in half while trying to install it in a customer's computer. I was tired and trying to do things too quickly... **** Sonata case, full size ATX fits to tightly in there.

oh yea, i washed a video card once with squeezy dish washing liquid. it was a geforce mx 4000 agp card, well it still works so i guess it wsnt bad after all :rolleyes:

That's not actually dumb. I had a client who's server died when the bug guy sprayed insecticide into the back of it and didn't tell anybody. Two weeks later the box croaked as all the boards corroded from the caustic spray. I completely disassembled the box, and scrubbed down all the boards with baking soda, bottled water, and a toothbrush.

After letting the boards dry in the sun for 3 hours, I reassembled the box and it ran like a top.

Now dumb...is when I took the nuts off the through the case (5lb copper block) heat-sink mount for my dual 3.0 Xeon server, and forgot to hold onto the heat sink. It ripped the processor out of the socket bending **** near all of the pins.

It took 4 hours a with square toothpick, and a magnifying glass to straighten the pins...but I did save the processor.