Farewell 64 bit

Polarman

After a month of poking around Vista 64 bit, i finally made my decision.

This a quote from Paul Thurrott's Supersite:

Final thoughts

Unfortunately, I have to give the same basic advice about Vista x64 that I provided last year: If you have to ask, if you're unsure whether you should be using Vista x64, then the basic conclusion is still the same: You shouldn't be running Vista x64. That said, Vista x64 is considerably more viable now than it was a year ago. And it's moving quickly into the mainstream, though it's not quite there yet.

For the coming year, gamers, digital content creators, CAD-CAM workers, science and engineering users, and other power users who will run into the 4 GB ceiling in 32-bit versions of Windows are ideal candidates for Vista x64. These types of users understand the risks and the limitations of the x64 platform and don't really need my advice anyway. Enjoy the headroom.

Typical consumers, however, should stay away from Vista x64 for now. Though hardware and software compatibility has improved dramatically in the past year, normal users will get frustrated by the one or two incompatible applications or devices that are likely to occur. It's just not worth it. Not yet.

Maybe next year.

--Paul Thurrott

October 24, 2007

I had made my decison way before i read this article. He's right anyway. Vista 64 bit is not quite there yet.

So here i am now running the 32 bit version again. And everything is working to my likings. Of course, Vista is only reporting 3071MB instead of 4095MB that i have installed. I don't care, i can live with it.

Like i said in a previous post, If all your software,hardware and games are 32 bit, There is no real reason to install 64 bit.

In my case the tipping point was the latest update which blocks non-WHQL drivers in all scenarios except with the F8 bypass. Since I forget to choose it on every reboot I got frustrated.

And some of my hardware drivers were MIA (M-Audio USB Pre, SE-K750i mobile, Powerware UPS...)

Same thing here, Vista x64 ran mostly ok apart from a few small incompatibilities but it was just enough to make me ask myself why I am bothering with it. Back on xp x32 now.

Nuhi, There was a hack to use non certified drivers but it did overlay the words "test mode" on top of wallpaper much in the way beta operating systems do, although in this case it's at the top instead of the lower right. Are you saying this no longer works? It's been a while since I've tried it.

There was one tool which got banned by MS by including it onto the Defender's list of malware.

I don't know of the other. I guess they all stopped working after the latest compatibility and performance updates. And even if they do I don't like that extra stability variable.

Gonna soon upgrade memory to 4GB and I'll have to go 64.

64 bit vista has been great experience for me. only have run into one thing that i could not get to work, but it was minor cosmetic software for skinning the clock. been running it for little over a month now and am not going back to XP.

nuhi, nice to see that you will be joining 64 bit vista :thumbup means vlite will take off now!!!!

There was one tool which got banned by MS by including it onto the Defender's list of malware.

I don't know of the other. I guess they all stopped working after the latest compatibility and performance updates. And even if they do I don't like that extra stability variable.

Gonna soon upgrade memory to 4GB and I'll have to go 64.

Actually I'm going to attempt vista x64 on my gaming rig this weekend again. I've vlited out security center and defender anyway so if I do need to use any unsigned drivers, which I don't think I will, it won't be a problem anyway. I'm excited to try the Crysis demo on dx10 and even with an 8800 I need all the extra horse power I can get. From the benchmarks I've seen x64 gives a significant performance boost to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I now have 4 gigs of ram and want use it all. I install Vista x64 Business and SP1 pre RC x64 release 7 november 2007 (newest at this time). Installing SP1 takes about a hour. After tuning and turning off some not needed services i am very satisfied with performance and smoothness of this thing. Not have any problems. Install beta drivers without any issues. And as i see, game industry is slowly begin support x64 platforms (Crysis, Hell Gate: London, ...). So i stick with x64 forever :-). Cheers.

And to Nuhi, i have strong hope you find a way to integrate SP1.

Edited by mirecek1965

@nuhi, i think u are talking abt "Atsiv" . yeah i have read that microsoft have banned this tool caz of loading non WHQL drivers. nm..i dont use defender...always keeping it disabled..and other Antiviruses not detecting Atsiv as trojan,spyware or anything else....i m still using atsiv to load my ATITraytools drivers on x64 vista. :)

AMIT

Edited by amit_talkin