Vista MasterUpdatePack (MUP)

... it seems that i better start reading all releases to know what each one is for.

Correct, maybe the time has come to collect all descriptions and write somehow an application to let the user choose which updates to be used for integration.. No clue how to make that working. Maybe somebody got an idea :whistle:

MS just updated windows update components again...

i just received the update.

I didnt receive it here though :(.

BTW new version of updatepackages is ahead, will wait for next patch tuesday though to renew UpdatesThroughWinUpdate too.

Edited by HJW

Hi guys,

thanks for this. Just updated my image with the MUP and the Vista Tool.

Just one question ...

if new drivers/updates are available would I have to start from scratch, meaning a fresh image or is it possible to update an already patched image ? What if updated drivers are available ? Will they replace the older ones in the image or will both drivers be in the image afterwards ?

Thanks,

Alex

if new drivers/updates are available would I have to start from scratch, meaning a fresh image or is it possible to update an already patched image ? What if updated drivers are available ? Will they replace the older ones in the image or will both drivers be in the image afterwards ?

i read that is recommended to start from scratch but i haven't tried to integrate hotfixes to an already updated image yet. about drivers i think if a new version comes out and you integrate it both versions will be in the image and windows will choose the latest version but i can't be 100% sure about this.

try it and see how it goes.

Hi elajua,

about drivers i think if a new version comes out and you integrate it both versions will be in the image and windows will choose the latest version but i can't be 100% sure about this.

Thanks, yeah I thought so. Mhh, I guess it will be much better after SP1 has been released for Vista. There WindowsPE/Vista/Server 2008 will search for drivers in the $WinPEDrivers$ folder in the root of each available drive automatically. This offline integration is just not very practical for longterm use in my opinion ...

Bye,

Alex

For the hotfixes you dont have to start clean.

The drivers is another story

have you tried to keep integrating hotfixes in already integrated images?

can i use this method for everyday and customers installation safely? thanks.

Thanks, yeah I thought so. Mhh, I guess it will be much better after SP1 has been released for Vista. There WindowsPE/Vista/Server 2008 will search for drivers in the $WinPEDrivers$ folder in the root of each available drive automatically. This offline integration is just not very practical for longterm use in my opinion ...

hopefully MS can come up with something like $WinPEDrivers$ for hotfixes and updates. just put the MSU files in folders and they will be installed automatically during setup.

i haven't read if WinPEDrivers will work for non-critical boot drivers (like Wifi, Audio, Display, Scanner, etc.). I just hope it will.

have you tried to keep integrating hotfixes in already integrated images?

can i use this method for everyday and customers installation safely? thanks.

I always integrate hotfixes in an already integrated image , without any problems.

Drivers can be integrated only once.

hopefully MS can come up with something like $WinPEDrivers$ for hotfixes and updates. just put the MSU files in folders and they will be installed automatically during setup.

I hope not , cause it wil result in a very long setup, integrate is much faster.

I hope not , cause it wil result in a very long setup, integrate is much faster.

Well, you would not have to use that feature, would you ? But for some people it would be nicer. Also you can keep your image clean. If you find out that an update causes problems you would not have to ditch the modified image and start from scratch.

Bye,

Alex

glad to know that updates can be integrated at any time.

about updates and drivers option, maybe sp00f is right, many updates can account for large media sizes.

about this topic. anyone knows where to get spanish cabs for dreamscene and its content pakcs?

i integrated the three that are here but they are in english and windows keep downloading and installing the main dreamscene release and it always shows in windows update...thanks.

about this topic. anyone knows where to get spanish cabs for dreamscene and its content pakcs?

i integrated the three that are here but they are in english and windows keep downloading and installing the main dreamscene release and it always shows in windows update...thanks.

Download in windows: navigate to C:\windows\softwaredistrubution\download\ and search for your CAB files. Cab files can be used for integration (MSU contains xml+cab). Tip: search for big files since dreamscene files are many MBs.

Open CABfiles to look for dreamscene content or try to search on KBnumber.

HJW

Look in your windowsupdate log after you downloaded them with windows update, and search for the url

C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log

Looks something like this :

example

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/windows6.0-kb929685-x86_40cb72a806e668aff8d6ec062c20675d8f9302b3.msu

Edited by sp00f