Idea.

Surreal Killa

With the current hardware which people use, compressing the contents of a hard drive is seldomly required. It's not advisory either.

Arie has a good point, i got big hard drives so i dont need to compress...

this will kill significantely the performance.

Didn't think about that either

I always compress my drives and haven't noticed any performance decrease, in fact I read somewhere that it may make performance better. Also, it does dramatically decrease the size of files. My hard drives all have about 3 times the amount of data stored on them due to the compression.

lol i didnt mean the size of the HDD i meant to the partition of windows is installed on... if 160GB then WOW, why that much just for windows... you install alot of stuff? Yep with two 750GB HDDs you wont need compression lol. :P

My new computer will be able to handle vista no problem. My current one just manages (flip effects, etc are disabled). But I don't want Vista, I had some troubles with compatibility with certain games and programs, plus out of all of my hardware the modem wasn't compatible with Vista, and there's no updated firmware for it so looks like I'm sticking with XP for a while, or perhaps dual-booting.